Koh-I-Noor Rapido Eze Pen Cleaner

SamCapote

I just cleaned a pen with a stained ink window which, I guess, had twenty years to evolve with a strong solution of water and sodium bicarbonate (baking soda). It took two days, but I didn't have to buy anything new and the pen is clean now and doesn't spoil other inks than black anymore.

Edited by Strombomboli

Iris

My avatar is a painting by Ilya Mashkov (1881-1944): Self-Portrait; 1911, which I photographed in the New Tretyakov Gallery in Moscow.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron Z

• SamCapote

• nweissma

• carlos.q

We use this in our repair shop as well. It is always secondary to the use of JB's pen flush - which takes care of almost all issues we come across. Every now and again this comes in handy though since it does , as Ron said, do away with India ink and usually the remnants of the toughest stains!

Linda

The most dramatic rescue was a Parker VP in which someone had used India ink and then allowed it to dry in the pen. You know how fragile the filler unit in these pens can be. It took three weeks of soaking in Rapiodo Eze, and gently cleaning with a wire, more soaking and flushing, but I eventually got all of the ink out of the feed and collector in the section AND all of the ink out of the filler unit. Richard now has the pen.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

In the past Rapid-O-Eze was all I ever used aside from tap water to clean my pens. Every pen after awhile lost it's piston fill lubrication, so I stopped using it in any pen I couldn't easily remove the nib from to re-grease the piston. YMMV. Which means I now only use Rapid-o-Eze in my Birds.

Great stuff. I buy it in the largest bottle I can get. Latest bottle is 8 fl. oz.

Fair winds and following seas.

• 2 years later...

I keep a bottle of Rapid-0-Eze in the shop at all times. Most of the time I use ammonia in water in my ultrasonic. But there are cases where this is not enough, and the Rapid-0-Eze is brought out. Ammonia will not remove India ink, Rapid-0-Eze will, and it will also very quickly break down the most stubborn dried ink.

In many years of use, I have never had it damage a pen, and it has saved many.

It's my understanding that India Ink will harm fp's. Your comment suggests that you do use India Ink in your fp. So how likely is India to injure fp's?

Edited by nweissma

We use this in our repair shop as well. It is always secondary to the use of JB's pen flush - which takes care of almost all issues we come across. Every now and again this comes in handy though since it does , as Ron said, do away with India ink and usually the remnants of the toughest stains!

Linda

Please define “JB's pen flush”

It's my understanding that India Ink will harm fp's. Your comment suggests that you do use India Ink in your fp. So how likely is India to injure fp's?

You misunderstand the post then. Read it again.

I do not use India ink in fountain pens. If a client does, it voids the warranty. India ink will clog a pen so completely that in most cases the only way to clear it is to completely disassemble a pen and clean it in Rapido-Eze, and in extreme cases chase ink channels with shim stock.

This was a case where someone HAD used India ink in the pen, and clogged the filler so badly that it took three weeks of soaking in Rapido-Eze and running a wire through the neck of the filler to get all of the India ink out and rescue the pen from the trash bin. You can not take the filler of a VP apart without a very good chance of breaking the clear acrylic end of the filler because it is so brittle. To be able to clean it out completely is what made the rescue so spectacular.

JB's pen flush is a basic pen cleaner used to flush fountain pens for those who prefer not to mix their own. I understand that it works quite well. It contains water (volume) ammonia (you can smell that) a surfactant.

I prefer to make my own with water, clear ammonia (about 10%-20% ammonia) and a few drops of Dawn Dish detergent.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

You misunderstand the post then. Read it again.

I do not use India ink in fountain pens. If a client does, it voids the warranty. India ink will clog a pen so completely that in most cases the only way to clear it is to completely disassemble a pen and clean it in Rapido-Eze, and in extreme cases chase ink channels with shim stock.

This was a case where someone HAD used India ink in the pen, and clogged the filler so badly that it took three weeks of soaking in Rapido-Eze and running a wire through the neck of the filler to get all of the India ink out and rescue the pen from the trash bin. You can not take the filler of a VP apart without a very good chance of breaking the clear acrylic end of the filler because it is so brittle. To be able to clean it out completely is what made the rescue so spectacular.

JB's pen flush is a basic pen cleaner used to flush fountain pens for those who prefer not to mix their own. I understand that it works quite well. It contains water (volume) ammonia (you can smell that) a surfactant.

I prefer to make my own with water, clear ammonia (about 10%-20% ammonia) and a few drops of Dawn Dish detergent.

I don't know how i could have so grossly misread your post. Apologies.

Edited by nweissma