Rohrer & Klingner - Blau permanent

Sandy1

FIDELITY:

Is colour name appropriate / accurate?

• Careful here. I was told that in Europe, the term 'permanent' is used to indicate that it cannot be erased/removed with an ink eraser or eradicating fluid. I await correction/clarification from those more knowledgeable.

Rohrer & Klingner offer a color chart where they explain:

The colour Blue Permanent ... cannot be taken out by using an ink remover in contrast to Royal Blue.

(Der Farbton Blau permanent ... lässt sich im Gegensatz zu Königsblau mit Löschflüssigkeit nicht löschen.)

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• Phormula

• Lorenz

• theverdictis

Rohrer & Klingner offer a color chart where they explain:

Hi,

:W2FPN:

Many thanks for sharing that information from R&K!

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Sandy for the excellent review (as usual :) )

This ink is a real challenge! :)

I have been using it for a couple of months and it is the most sensitive ink I have found to "writing conditions", it can range from a pale turquoise to a medium blue, depending on the nib size, flow rate and paper quality.

Each combination is a story of its own!

Don't take life too seriously

Nobody makes it out alive anyway

Thanks Sandy for the excellent review (as usual :) )

This ink is a real challenge! :)

I have been using it for a couple of months and it is the most sensitive ink I have found to "writing conditions", it can range from a pale turquoise to a medium blue, depending on the nib size, flow rate and paper quality.

Each combination is a story of its own!

Hi,

You're welcome!

I'm glad that you have come to enjoy the malleable nature of this ink, as the appearance does change when the pen+paper combo changes. (Figure 8 depicts that quite well.)

The ink has a roomy performance profile, so it won't misbehave even when run from a rather wet pen, though like most simple dye-based ink, pairing with wet pens and 'lowest-bidder' papers can give some bleed- show-through.

I'm on my second bottle, and haven't noticed a change of the ink's characteristics, so no post-REACH wobble.

It seems to me this is another one of the 'under the radar' inks that is a pleasant side-step away from the default Blue inks and those that run on rails.

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Hello,

I completely agree on R&K being "under the radar" inks.

It is a pity, because they are among the cheapest (meaning less expensive) inks available here, price is comparable with Pelikan 4001 and Diamine.

For a tiny amount of money you get very well behaved inks. Which is not bad when I am using firehose pens, like the Pelikan M1005. Man, you can see the ink level dropping in the bottle when you fill that pen, much like seeing the gas tank gasket dropping when you do a quarter of a mile race with a muscle car... Signing a paycheck with a M1005 could be expensive, not because of the money on the check, but for the amount of valuable ink that goes into the signature :o :D

Well, Leipzig had a tradition for book Printing (mini books in particular), no surprise they have a tradition also for inks.

My experiments with Blau Permanent also led me to ink and de-ink a number of pens and it is one of the easiest inks to remove.

So far, given the fact that I am not a fan of bright inks (Diamine Eau de Nil is as far as I can go for "turquoiseness", my world is dark blue or blue-black), I am leaning towards wet writers and good quality paper.

My best combo at the moment is the Visconti Homo Sapiens with a M nib.

Now I am planning to make it a little less vibrant an less tuquoise by spiking it with al little bit of Leipsicher Black. :)

• 1 month later...

OK, been there, done that!

I added a little touch of Leipsician Black to R&K Blau Permanent and got exactly the shade of blue I was looking for (Blau Phormula :yikes: :D :D )

I was aiming for a dark and solid blue, Blau Permanent was a little too much on the cyan side, especially in wet Writers.

Now that I made it darker exactly to the point I wanted, I think I have my perfect daily blue.

Time to experiment with blue-black brewing...

Looks quite grainy in the close up pics, but otherwise a really nice looking ink.

Ben

''You can't stay in your corner of the forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes''. A A Milne

Just got a penful of Blau Permanent in a pen exchange and I tried it gladly, only to observe what has already been pointed out in this excellent review. I liked the ink more before it dried; afterwards it was kind of flat. The conclusion is that I have to keep searching for a lighter blue ink for broad nibs. As for medium nibs, I'm quite pleased with VIsconti Blue but Diamine Sargasso with just enough Quink Washable Blue to cut down the sheen is good too.

• 1 month later...

Very well done review. The ink looks to be one that would be at home in a wide range of uses ... a good all-round ink. Thanks.