Visconti Homo Sapiens

tanalasta

Perhaps this is a small matter in the overall evaluation of a pen, but I do not like the pocket clip on the Homo Sapiens pen at all. While the design is artistically attractive, it is not a functional design that allows the clip to flow over cloth. Therefore, it is quite a chore to secure the pen into even a shirt pocket.

Looking at the pen I am not very confident about the durability of cap locking mechanism. If I use it daily will it last or will cause a problem in closing the pen.

Anyone have any observation / recommendation ?

I don't have a Homo Sapiens, but I do have a Divina Desert Springs, which has the same clip and cap locking mechanism. Neither is a problem!

The clip isn't fixed, but has a hinge and spring at the top end. If you pinch the clip about the middle, you'll see the bottom end lift off the cap, which lets you put the pen into a shirt or jacket pocket without any fuss. The spring then holds it very firmly in place, but you can lift the pen out without needing to loosen it.

The cap locking mechanism is very simple and robust, and also relies on a spring. Be sure to push the cap firmly on to the barrel in both putting it on and taking it off, and you won't damage the detents. You might cause wear if you try to rotate the cap without pushing in, but maybe not -- it seems to be designed to work if you do this. One advantage -- you'll never cross-thread the cap and the barrel!

Hi Torculus Resupinus,

Thanks for the feedback. Now I am using the pen daily for last few days and understood the cap removal mechanism. Under magnifying glass I can see minor wear and tear but it looks like once it gets "polished" by regular opening and closing the wear and tear will be minimum.

Also as mentioned by some of the users I have observed that if I am not careful in writing then hands get spoiled by ink.

Thanks

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tanalasta

• fabrimedeiros

• Thier.

• meenatul

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The HS is a beautiful pen--I just got mine. I love the palladium nib, it writes very smoothly. My biggest problem is that it's insanely heavy--when I tried it out at the shop it seemed fine, but now that I've been writing with it, I'm finding it difficult to use for too long before my hand gets really tired because of the weight, even when I try writing with the pen unposted.

Has anyone else been having difficulties getting used to the weight?

I had the same problem with mine at the begining, about one year ago. I used to write with Pelikans and MBs, which are lighter than HS, even the largest pens. I think I'd been using a death grip and this kind of grip with heavy pens is a nightmare. I've been training myself to use a tripod grip and it doesn't care if you use a heavy pen or not. In fact, I use the weight of the pen to write and I don't need to press nib against the paper.

I got an HS with fine nib. I really enjoy writing with it. The material feels so good in the hand, with a smooth rubber texture that strangely isn't soft. The cap latch system is wonderful, quite a clever piece of engineering.

The Palladium nib is terrific. At first, it wrote a tad dry, but I fiddled with the nib as instructed on nibs.com and it writes a perfect wetness now.

The HS is a beautiful pen--I just got mine. I love the palladium nib, it writes very smoothly. My biggest problem is that it's insanely heavy--when I tried it out at the shop it seemed fine, but now that I've been writing with it, I'm finding it difficult to use for too long before my hand gets really tired because of the weight, even when I try writing with the pen unposted.

Has anyone else been having difficulties getting used to the weight?

I had the same problem with mine at the begining, about one year ago. I used to write with Pelikans and MBs, which are lighter than HS, even the largest pens. I think I'd been using a death grip and this kind of grip with heavy pens is a nightmare. I've been training myself to use a tripod grip and it doesn't care if you use a heavy pen or not. In fact, I use the weight of the pen to write and I don't need to press nib against the paper.

I got an HS with fine nib. I really enjoy writing with it. The material feels so good in the hand, with a smooth rubber texture that strangely isn't soft. The cap latch system is wonderful, quite a clever piece of engineering.

The Palladium nib is terrific. At first, it wrote a tad dry, but I fiddled with the nib as instructed on nibs.com and it writes a perfect wetness now.

I agree. My HS has a 1.3mm Stub nib, that is superb, wet, buttery smooth, but it works more like a cursive italic nib than a stub one. I don't feel springiness like the other visconti Palladium 23k sizes nibs, even when I press it a bit more. The designer who made this pen is a genius. There are many inovative features in this pen. At beginning when I bought, one year ago, I thought the cap latch system was fragile and it would wear out easliy. But no! It's realiable and sturdy. I've been using amost everyday uncapping and capping so many times a day and it's like new. I suppose that pen will become a classic in the future.

• 2 years later...

Îve just received a Homo Sapiens Lava from a client who gave me two other pens ( mb Starwalker blue and a Parker) because he doesńt write anymore with it ..... I've just flushed it and am ready to fill and to test it ..... Pictures to follow tomorrow ......

I had a HS pen with M nib.Very smooth indeed

After a time I realized i did not use the pen enough and stayed in the box

Reason was the nib was a real ink gusher.

Afterwards I replaced it with a F nib , which is better for my writing

Well, I'll have a look on that tomorrow as the nib on mine is ...... M . I'll post a picture .....

Here is the picture of my first writing with it. I've just dipped it after having it flushed .... Great pen !!!! It's strange to have such a big pen being so light ......

Even yesterday morning, I didn't knew that I will own that gem today ....

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/267952-which-one-will-be-your-next-fountain-pen/

post-90708-0-85814600-1403248718_thumb.jpg

I'm interested in this. I just bought a HS midi with a medium nib and "gusher" certainly describes how the pen writes with my Diamine kelly green ink. I'm trying to decide whether to go to a fine nib or just go all the way to extra fine. Did you switch nibs yourself or use the Visconti nib exchange service?

Hi

Changing the nib was quitr an adventure

The local retailer had to order the other nibs

The first f nib had flow issues and replaced in the end by a good one

All good with a good la couronnde in Holland