J Herbin Vert Empire

dandelion

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_FODBn3j5KLc/S7VDJSKQH5I/AAAAAAAATWI/_RcYLZW70_E/Vert%20Empire%20XIV.jpg

I fell in love with this ink instantly. The colour is close to my idea of the perfect green ink - medium dark with a streak of grey and a hint of moss. Not over saturated which gives it a translucency and shading that I simply adore when it comes to green. Since this was an unexpected gift, I had no particular expectations. I was, in fact, a little disappointed that it was a green ink in the package. I think it is hard to find a good green and thought it would be another OK-but-nothing-I-will-use-on-a-regularly-basis- green. One of the few exceptions from that fate is Montblanc British Racing green, but that is a dark, olive greyish green which I don't really count as green (shame on me). Even if I like the Diamine Emerald (featured in this post) I've felt that it lacked something - it is nice and was the closest to a favourite I had before this ink - but it is more a nice acquaintance than a real fave. I had no reason to believe that it would be anything out of the ordinary. And - it turned out to be the most handsome green I've tried to this date (again I don't count MB Racing Green since it isn't a proper green). It manages to be both ethereal and dignified.

Colour aside: the Vert Empire is actually my very first J Herbin ink and if the other Herbins are this well behaved - excellent flow, delicious shading, almost no feathering or bleed through they will surely belong to one of my favourite brands. As I write there is actually three other Herbins on their way to me; the Red 1670 anniversary edition (link leads to Pensandco's sample of this newly released ink) , the Poussière de Lune and Larme de Cassis and I look forward to try them out and hope that the postal system is efficient - despite the long Easter holiday.

I've also published this review on my blog and if you want to see more photos of the Vert Empire (the text is basically the same) you just click here.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_FODBn3j5KLc/S7VCtZtfVSI/AAAAAAAATVk/P9jXEVaJRN0/Vert%20Empire%20XII.jpg

Edited by dandelion

*****the dandelion blog is right here*****

*****the dandelion flickr is right here*****

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dandelion

• reprieve

• dannyboy

• Ed Ronax

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, it looks like the dark blades of grass that are starting to shoot from the ground here in the northern part of the western hemisphere.

Yes, this is a very nice and pleasing green. I'd love to see a comparison with the Iroshizuku green--I suspect the two may be quite similar. Thank you for the thorough review!

Great review, as always!

I find almost every Herbin ink to be extremely well behaved. I have most of their colors in my ink drawer; I don't have as many different inks from any other brand (my Herbin inks outnumber even my Noodler's). I've never had issues with bleedthrough or feathering (even in my BB nibs). The inks rinse so easily that I feel free to use them without fear in my white- and ivory-colored pens. All of the colors are lovely (though some are more useful than others) and almost all of them exhibit excellent shading. One of my most-used inks (regardless of brand) is Vert Empire. It has even superseded my all-too-frequent (alright, obsessive!) use of MB Racing Green.

Great review this is a wonderful green.

And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

This ink is on my list of inks to acquire, and the review has done nothing to dissuade me. The question is whether I can hold out until my birthday, or have to give in and buy it for myself...

Too many pens; too many inks. But at least I've emptied two ink bottles now.

Very nice review and nicely arranged pictures!

I like all three colors (Montblanc Racing Green, Herbin Vert Empire and Diamine Umber); each is different but have a similar character.

Cheers

Michael

Great review, as always!

I find almost every Herbin ink to be extremely well behaved. I have most of their colors in my ink drawer; I don't have as many different inks from any other brand (my Herbin inks outnumber even my Noodler's). I've never had issues with bleedthrough or feathering (even in my BB nibs). The inks rinse so easily that I feel free to use them without fear in my white- and ivory-colored pens. All of the colors are lovely (though some are more useful than others) and almost all of them exhibit excellent shading. One of my most-used inks (regardless of brand) is Vert Empire. It has even superseded my all-too-frequent (alright, obsessive!) use of MB Racing Green.

I have the same experience with Herbin inks -- they are wonderful to work with. I spent last night making an ink book out of an inexpensive spiral-bound notebook, and the q-tip swatches of the Herbin inks didn't bleed through at all.

Vert Empire was a sleeper. I used it for the first time last night while making the book, and I was surprised at how much I liked it. Your excellent review describes the ink very well. What a lovely, calming color!

It's a wonderfull ink, use it in a Pelikan 150 as a daily writer, no nib creep. To me the color it's very close to the green ink on one dollar bills. Great looking botttle but very small, often need to tip it when refilling.

Tim

Rocklin, CA

Ah, it looks like the dark blades of grass that are starting to shoot from the ground here in the northern part of the western hemisphere.

That is a spot-on description of the green. The colour also resembles the ethereal colour of the leaves on the Rosary Vine (Hearts on a String plant)

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_FODBn3j5KLc/S7imrhXG8aI/AAAAAAAATnw/nEtFzU5WMuc/Vert%20Empire_0385.JPG

Great review, as always!

As new to Herbin inks it is nice to hear that my view on its excellent proportions is shared. I also realized that one in reviews ought to add a grading on how easy/hard it is to flush and clean.

I have the same experience with Herbin inks -- they are wonderful to work with. I spent last night making an ink book out of an inexpensive spiral-bound notebook, and the q-tip swatches of the Herbin inks didn't bleed through at all.

Vert Empire was a sleeper. I used it for the first time last night while making the book, and I was surprised at how much I liked it. Your excellent review describes the ink very well. What a lovely, calming color!

Thanks for all positive feedback!

*****the dandelion blog is right here*****

*****the dandelion flickr is right here*****

Excellent review - I wish that my Vert Empire looked like yours. Mine is very grey.