Parker Penman Sapphire - Bottle

Sandy1

Grey scale is great feature!

Hi,

Thanks!

I tried so hard to find 'something' that people could relate to and find useful.

So the (Kodak) Grey Scale should get a person's monitor 'close' in terms of brightness & contrast. It is an absolute reference. i.e. It is calibrated, and conforms to strict QC. Colour, well, we know that's tough. I think the on-line web-based stuff is limited to some 256 colours. That is nowhere near a digital photo or even the scans from the inky original.

So I have to ask 'Fit For Purpose?' Yes or No, before I actually Post it. So far, so good. When I look at it in draft form, the scans should be close enough to be what I will call 'an honest representation' of the colour.

I also include the Waterman Florida Blue, as a relative reference. If so inclined, the viewer can make their own swatch and dial-in their monitor to that.

I'll let you know if it gets any easier.

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• SamCapote

• amberleadavis

• LagNut

As promised, here is my scan of my bottle of Parker Penman Sapphire, along with a couple of other samples --

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_g_oFvX9K3R0/S7060vUcwxI/AAAAAAAAAg0/BrA9BPkTIwI/s800/PenmanSapphire.jpg

This was written on an A5 Clairefontaine notebook, and left for the inks to stabilise for several days.

As noted, the pen used is a D. Leonardt's DP400 dip pen in 1/2 mm width.

As you can see, my Faux Penman Sapphire #8b is a little darker, but when used with a fountain pen is almost identical with the original.

However, the big surprise was how close the PR American Blue is to the original PP Sapphire.

The PR DC Supershow Blue, which legend has it was made to be a PP Sapphire clone, is actually a little darker.

If you follow the link, you can see the uploaded original and use the magnifier.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

As promised, here is my scan of my bottle of Parker Penman Sapphire, along with a couple of other samples --

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_g_oFvX9K3R0/S7060vUcwxI/AAAAAAAAAg0/BrA9BPkTIwI/s800/PenmanSapphire.jpg

This was written on an A5 Clairefontaine notebook, and left for the inks to stabilise for several days.

As noted, the pen used is a D. Leonardt's DP400 dip pen in 1/2 mm width.

As you can see, my Faux Penman Sapphire #8b is a little darker, but when used with a fountain pen is almost identical with the original.

However, the big surprise was how close the PR American Blue is to the original PP Sapphire.

The PR DC Supershow Blue, which legend has it was made to be a PP Sapphire clone, is actually a little darker.

If you follow the link, you can see the uploaded original and use the magnifier.

Hi,

Many thanks!

I think we're getting very similar results: the ink remains sssssennnnnsational & sound in the pot.

But looks better on the page.

The American Blue is the closest I've seen too - not to discount your faux mixes which are pretty darn amazing. Good on ya! The subtleties are not apparent in the scans though. The DCSB really is out of it, folklore being what it is.

The American Blue has nowhere near the physical properties of the PPS for enhancing the writing experience.

As to the density (light-dark) of the colour, I think that is one of the most telling signs of a top top shelf ink: it looks like itself throughout a range of densities that would be expected from 'normal' wetness nib+feeds. I think the 2 samples from the Duofold and the Sonnet give some indication of that range - the Duofold being more dry.

Later,

Sandy1

• 3 weeks later...

My daughter just gave me a full bottle of Parker Penman Sapphire yesterday. She says she got it at a yard sale. It is totally intact, no sediment or off odor. Now I am ant a fan of washable blue inks, so I was planning on mixing it with a permananent black to get blue-black that's more durable. Evidently this is sacrilege, so I guess I won't.

My daughter just gave me a full bottle of Parker Penman Sapphire yesterday. She says she got it at a yard sale. It is totally intact, no sediment or off odor. Now I am ant a fan of washable blue inks, so I was planning on mixing it with a permananent black to get blue-black that's more durable. Evidently this is sacrilege, so I guess I won't.

Yikes! A little too much sharing on that one, OK? :-)

Oh, if your intention is to generate a 'more durable' BlBk, just get one. I found that mixed waterproof/bulletproof inks will remain on the paper, with the other less durable ink just disappearing, or worse - creating a 'smudge cloud', which obscures the most durable ink.

The PPS exhibits variable water resistance: depending on the paper used. I used to use it with the Swiss ELCO Airmail paper, and if it got wet, the writing was smeared but legible. Unfortunately that paper is not readily available, so I do not include it in my Review.

Enjoy the PPS in whatever incarnation you prefer: there are no 'sacrosanct' inks. (I used to think I'd never mix an Herbin until I did. Then I thought I'd never mix a Pilot iro ink until I did.)

Perhaps you'll get a Duofold too!!

Bye,

S1

Great review, Sandy! I'd like to see your forensic approach extend to the other Penman inks, - especially Emerald and Ruby.

John

If you want a good, permanent blue-black, then get one.

At this stage, I would recommend Lamy Blue-Black, but I will be testing it more. It is one of the iron-gall inks made for fountain pens, and it is called blue-black because it goes down blue and then turns to black. The only thing that will remove it once it has dried is bleach.

Otherwise you can get a reasonably persistent blue-black by mixing a pure blue ink with a pure black ink, in a ratio of 10:1 blue to black. Stick to the same brands, like Parker Quink Blue and PQ Black, or Sheaffer Skrip Blue and SS Black, for least problems. Adjust the ratio (by adding more or less Blue) to get the colour you want.

Oh, and enjoy your Penman Sapphire as it is. (Oh, and any child that gives you a full bottle of Parker Penman Sapphire is a treasure to keep...:cloud9:)

Edited by dcwaites

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Great review, Sandy! I'd like to see your forensic approach extend to the other Penman inks, - especially Emerald and Ruby.

John

Hello John,

I'm glad you find my approach to be of value. It is the first time that my approach is described as 'forensic'. Neat-o: it's usually called 'obsessive compulsive'. :-)

But really, some of my 'work-a-day' activities involve life-or-death decisions based on direct & indirect observation. So I'm just a good observer, and am not so bad at recording & conveying my observations.

Pardon my diversion. On point: I do not have bottles of the Penman inks to which you refer. The last of my Penman Mocha went onto 'Thank-You' notes - better than some dull ink review, yes? I do have a few cartridges of the Penman Ruby, but consider those (and any cartridge-packaged ink) to be flaky: the cartridges themselves do not uniformly preserve the ink. One needs only to see the uneven volumes of ink in cartridges stored for years. e.g. Some of the old Sheaffer calligraphy sets have cartridges, and the volumes of ink in each cartridge is different. So I decline to test anything that is contaminated or otherwise 'scr*wed-up' - why bother? - no one else will have the same thing. ... On that note, I do have a PM thread going, which seems to be encouraging people to retain their Ink Review originals, then every so on, scan & post them. In that way, the stability of ink over time, on a variety of paper, stored in 'for real' conditions, may be seen. But I digress.

Have a nice day!

S1

• 1 year later...

Hi,

To support ad hoc comparison to other inks of similar colour, I have revisited Parker Penman Sapphire (PPS) to add more samples. These samples use much the same layout, papers, pens and imaging method as the current reviews of Blue inks.

As always, should one feel that a separate Post or Topic is required to depict a certain aspect of an ink, your PM will be welcomed. While new scans can be accommodated in due course, creation of even more new written material is unlikely.

-=-

NIB-ism:

IMG-thumb:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Comparison%20Exemplars%20-%20Parker%20penman%20Sapphire/th_f7efe479.jpg

L → R: Parker 51 Flighter + 14K XF nib; Sheaffer 330 + steel M nib; Lamy Pink Safari + goosed 1.1 steel nib.

Written Samples - Moby Dick

Ruling: 8mm.

Paper: HPJ1124.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Comparison%20Exemplars%20-%20Parker%20penman%20Sapphire/93edb8a1.jpg

Paper: Rhodia.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Comparison%20Exemplars%20-%20Parker%20penman%20Sapphire/98e69f9d.jpg

OTHER STUFF

Smear/Dry Times

Wet Tests

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Comparison%20Exemplars%20-%20Parker%20penman%20Sapphire/3158fc39.jpg

Comments:

• Results are generally consistent with prior samples.
  • The writing experience is luxurious. (Wiggle toes.)
  • Over time, the ink has retained its original characteristics to a significant extent.

======

TAGS: FPN fountain pen ink review Parker Penman Sapphire Sandy1

It still amazes me that some nitwits convinced Parker to withdraw this ink. Excellent review, Sandy. You captured the elegant magic of this ink very well, even if none of us can read your writing. LOL! :cloud9:

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

There was a great deal of controversy about the saturation and pen clogging. As to the color, I think the one blow up captures it best. There is no color like it. It is not neon. It is a deep and darker blue. Like Omas Roma Blue, it's vibrant and has some beautiful violet undertones. But it's significantly different in that it also has some intriguing teal undertones. It's just a unique color that i just haven't seen anywhere. PR comes close and has some issues associated with it too. But you're right, although he's got close with both DC Supershow Blue and American Blue. The other color for those seeking the feel in terms of darkness is Diamine Majestic Blue, but necessarily as bright, vibrant and deep. but it is the same vein.

Great job.

It still amazes me that some nitwits convinced Parker to withdraw this ink. Excellent review, Sandy. You captured the elegant magic of this ink very well, even if none of us can read your writing. LOL! :cloud9:

Waiting for some cartridges so I can attain all the wow and mystic effect of this ink.

And Sandy, after sample vials your reviews are the best way to choose a ink, sometimes they do better than sample vials as I can forget something to test.

“The journey is more important than the destination—that’s part of

life, if you only live for getting to the end, you’re almost always

disappointed.”

Donald E. Knuth

Hi,

Thanks for the compliment!

I could understand a Co. withdrawing an ink if it caused problems. However, I see no reason that the problem/s were not fixed, and a reformulated ink released.

Bye,

S1

There was a great deal of controversy about the saturation and pen clogging. As to the color, I think the one blow up captures it best. There is no color like it. It is not neon. It is a deep and darker blue. Like Omas Roma Blue, it's vibrant and has some beautiful violet undertones. But it's significantly different in that it also has some intriguing teal undertones. It's just a unique color that i just haven't seen anywhere. PR comes close and has some issues associated with it too. But you're right, although he's got close with both DC Supershow Blue and American Blue. The other color for those seeking the feel in terms of darkness is Diamine Majestic Blue, but necessarily as bright, vibrant and deep. but it is the same vein.

Great job.

Hi,

I believe PPS remains unique. It does seem to have some imitators, which are very good in their own right, but none have matched the original ink, or surpassed its visual/visceral impact.

While I agree that high resolution blow-ups can help one to see the ink in a new light, there is still nothing like a page covered in PPS to get the full-on experience. (Whether one can read my writing or not.)

Bye,

S1

. . .

Waiting for some cartridges so I can attain all the wow and mystic effect of this ink.

And Sandy, after sample vials your reviews are the best way to choose a ink, sometimes they do better than sample vials as I can forget something to test.

Hi,

Thanks for the compliment! Feel free to use the template items when exploring the ink from the sample vials. As is apparent from this Review, the template has evolved. I like to think that the current version is not all that data deficient. But no template can do more than leave a heading for the intangibles of an ink: those are in the eyes and mind of the beholder.

It seems that the cartridge ink that are being found these days is very viable, and can be reconstituted with [distilled] water. IIRC, some practitioners prefer a more 'concentrated' ink, so do not restore the cartridges to their original volume.

Bye,

S1

IMO the ink is no longer there.

US lawyers looking for big bucks for dirty pens.

Back then no one was use to cleaning a fountain pen often as we are now. There was no net to teach folks proper pen hygiene.

A new corporate HQ that fountain pens are too minor to put any money into re-development of an ink. Besides which in the long term would cost advertising money for no large return.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• 6 months later...

Sandy, Thank you!

I also like how you showed just how much difference the pen and paper make to the beautiful ink.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Where can we download the template?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Where can we download the template?

Hi,

PM sent.

Bye,

S1

Sandy, Thank you!

I also like how you showed just how much difference the pen and paper make to the beautiful ink.

Hi,

You're welcome!

I find that PPS is fairly responsive to the usual methods of 'tuning' an ink's appearance through choice of pen and paper, and dilution.

As mentioned in the Review, I prefer PPS at rather low density, as shown in the samples from the Duofold. Yet the more recent high density samples from the Safari certainly are attractive. :happyberet:

Bye,

S1