Parker Penman Sapphire - Bottle

Sandy1

COMPARISONS :: COMPARISONS :: COMPARISONS

Hi,

To enable ad hoc comparison of PPS to other Blue inks that I have reviewed, PPS is included in the '11_2_20' group of Blue inks. LINK

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• SamCapote

• amberleadavis

• LagNut

Sandy1,

Again, a marvelous review of an ink. In this case, one I have just recently divested myself from. (Also the Ebony variant). The ink did not go down the drain, but to folks who can appreciate and use it better than I.

However, as much as I'd like to think I'm fully divested, this ink keeps coming back from the feeds (and possibly the converters) of my Sonnets and P25's like a bad lunch. In the interests of full divestment, I note that someone who might have valuable information has chimed in here:

It still amazes me that some nitwits convinced Parker to withdraw this ink. Excellent review, Sandy. You captured the elegant magic of this ink very well...

Sam, do you know if this ink is acid or base? I'm assuming that "like dissolves like" operates here, and so I'm wondering if vinegar or ammonia should be the next solution in the cleaning of this inks? What I don't want to do is go beyond what I've done (which is tap water wash until no color is coming out any more) and "lock in" the ingredients of this ink in the deep recesses of my old pens.

If you don't know, not a problem, but if there is information I'd love to know. This is prompted by the one Sonnet I've brought back to life adding color to the Syu-Ro I refilled it with. There isn't a lot I can do now, but along with the deep green-blue of this ink, I'm seeing hints of black and other colors that I don't see in pens that didn't previously have this ink in them. I'm deeply hopeful that luck is on my side here, and the ink is acting as a solvent, cleaning out the remnants that water wash did not in the convertor and feeds.

Cheers,

Mike

Edited by LagNut

Sandy dearest, and slayer of men's hearts :wub:, two points if you will.

1) In appreciation of your ongoing fastidiousness, and righteous vivisection to release an ink's spirit and innermost secrets, it would be great to see you
since it has such a magical quality, and would thusly befit being graced by the ephemeral touch of your fair hand.

2) Reiterating the patent bêtise of Parker's pusillanimity in removing the Penman inks from the market. I have been using the same
in a vintage black Duofold (from member Pendleton PB2) since January 2011. I use it to record the daily glucometer readings, insulin doses, food, and medicine given to my 15 year old Westie with diabetes. I only write a few lines per day, then lay down the pen on the Staples Sugar Cane tablet. Because of FIHG (FPN-Induced Hygiene Guilt) I have flushed the section & nib 3 times over the last 18 months. When the cartridge runs low, I refill it from the PPS removed from other cartridges previously stored in Goulet vials. The paper is not exactly clean as it sits out amidst life's fray. Never-the-less, the pen always writes immediately, never skips, and flows gloriously. I have failed to see any clogs or contamination. I can't quite identify the aroma of the Penman inks, and while it may have phenol overtones, it reminds me more of the now outlawed Mecurichrome disinfectant smell.

LagNut, first of all it having to speak your user name abruptly ends the surreptitious romantic whispering of sweet nothings into such elegant company, but here is the answer you seek.

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

Sam,

Thanks much. Your answer (which already existed here amongst the various catacombs) was exactly the information I was seeking, though I wish I was inhabiting a different universe. Your two Iroshizuku inks listed are base, and Penman Sapphire is acid. Time to flush the pen thoroughly yet again. Anyone with an idea if an intervening ammonia-water flush might be in order?

Note to self: Check urban dictionary before choosing username...(I should know better). My meaning is completely different, and is pronounced Lag New T.

If possible, I may switch usernames.

Cheers,

Mike

Sandy1,

Again, a marvelous review of an ink. In this case, one I have just recently divested myself from. (Also the Ebony variant). The ink did not go down the drain, but to folks who can appreciate and use it better than I.

However, as much as I'd like to think I'm fully divested, this ink keeps coming back from the feeds (and possibly the converters) of my Sonnets and P25's like a bad lunch. In the interests of full divestment, I note that someone who might have valuable information has chimed in here:

snip

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Mike,

Many thanks for your kind words!

I am glad that you have passed the PPS to a more welcoming home.

I really don't have the experience you mention of PPS acting as an 'agent' that is somehow reluctant to be cleansed from a pen, yet is capable of freeing residue from previous inks. (?)

I use Parker Quink with SOLV-X as a long-term treatment for used pens that were not properly restored, especially Parker 61 capillary fillers, and those with ye olde plumbing. (Some less gracious members have cast aspersion on that practice.)

Bye,

S1

Sandy dearest, and slayer of men's hearts :wub:, two points if you will.

1) In appreciation of your ongoing fastidiousness, and righteous vivisection to release an ink's spirit and innermost secrets, it would be great to see you
since it has such a magical quality, and would thusly befit being graced by the ephemeral touch of your fair hand.

2) Reiterating the patent bêtise of Parker's pusillanimity in removing the Penman inks from the market. I have been using the same
in a vintage black Duofold (from member Pendleton PB2) since January 2011. I use it to record the daily glucometer readings, insulin doses, food, and medicine given to my 15 year old Westie with diabetes. I only write a few lines per day, then lay down the pen on the Staples Sugar Cane tablet. Because of FIHG (FPN-Induced Hygiene Guilt) I have flushed the section & nib 3 times over the last 18 months. When the cartridge runs low, I refill it from the PPS removed from other cartridges previously stored in Goulet vials. The paper is not exactly clean as it sits out amidst life's fray. Never-the-less, the pen always writes immediately, never skips, and flows gloriously. I have failed to see any clogs or contamination. I can't quite identify the aroma of the Penman inks, and while it may have phenol overtones, it reminds me more of the now outlawed Mecurichrome disinfectant smell.

snip

My dearest SamCapote :wub:

That I would vivisect an ink? Nay!

The ink is invited to come join with a hand-picked cadre of pen partners that hold them in a fluid embrace to romp across the HPJ1124, glide over the Rhodia, go cross-country on the arid laid Lalo, be cosseted by the soft nap of the Royal, and move gently over the Staples.

They do not cower as caged critters awaiting a knife-wielding ordeal.

There is considerable commotion in the inky array when the Ink Putti tell of a Review being afoot - all inks wanting to come show their stuff - a field day immortalised in the global ether of FPN.

There are high hopes that those who purchase their namesake will be welcoming custodians, aware of their strengths and foibles, to be seen at their best by those who read the words whose shape they are given.

I am sure you have chosen wisely to use PPS to record the care heaped upon your beloved Westie.

Bye,

S1

LOL! So that's a "no" on the sheening paper addition?

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

Sandy,

I really don't have the experience you mention of PPS acting as an 'agent' that is somehow reluctant to be cleansed from a pen, yet is capable of freeing residue from previous inks. (?) ...

My clarity was not what it should have been. The last time I put Penman ink in those(or any) pens was probably in the late 90's. The ink that was acting(I'm dearly hoping) as a solvent was the new Pilot ink, which (again I hope) was freeing residue from the residual Penman that did not come clean from water rinsing of my old pens. The colors coming from the pen were "enhanced" versions of the Pilot ink. It's an italic nib, and the color ranges from a green very like I'd expect to a very dark green black, somewhat randomly arranged together as I wrote down the page.

My fear is that it wasn't acting as just a solvent, but was doing some chemistry, since Penman is base and the Pilot acid. Right now the pen in question is flushed yet again with water, and is sitting completely empty on the desk awaiting my next move. Up to the last flush, it was writing in its current distinctive manner. I'm thinking it and it's mate may spend time with the section and converter just immersed in water for a week or so.

Cheers,

Mike

Edited by LagNut

Where can we download the template?

Hi,

PM sent.

Bye,

S1

Dear Sandy1,

I am somewhat new to the FPN and maybe it been explained before but I am looking for instructions \ information on how to use the gray scale reference you included with your review of PPS ink at the beginning of this thread. Also am I correct in assuming that the purpose of the gray scale is determine monitor contrast setting and not color balance.

Regards,

Jeff

aka CaptainGroovy

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety

Benjamin Franklin

This may sound odd, but has anyone ever considered asking Parker if they could redo a batch of this ink to the original recipe?

I know they will probably have a minimum quantity a bit like Nathan does, but I am sure the enthusiasts here on FPS could absorb a couple of hundred bottles of PPS between them all!

Where can we download the template?

Hi,

PM sent.

Bye,

S1

Dear Sandy1,

I am somewhat new to the FPN and maybe it been explained before but I am looking for instructions \ information on how to use the gray scale reference you included with your review of PPS ink at the beginning of this thread. Also am I correct in assuming that the purpose of the gray scale is determine monitor contrast setting and not color balance.

Regards,

Jeff

aka CaptainGroovy

Hi,

PM sent.

Bye,

S1

This may sound odd, but has anyone ever considered asking Parker if they could redo a batch of this ink to the original recipe?

I know they will probably have a minimum quantity a bit like Nathan does, but I am sure the enthusiasts here on FPS could absorb a couple of hundred bottles of PPS between them all!

If this were possible, I would have NO reluctance to sign up for a few bottles. I have gone too long without my beloved PPSapphire, and am reticent to use up what remains in the bottle!! Ok, re-reading above, can Nathan (re)produce a PPS?! :eureka:

If there is righteousness in the heart, There will be beauty in character. If there is beauty in character, There will be harmony in the home. When there is harmony in the home, There will be order in the nation. When there is order in the nation, There will be peace in the world. Bhagawan Shri Satya Sai Baba

re-reading above, can Nathan (re)produce a PPS?!

It isn't about the colour - there are plenty of substitute colours already. PPS is treasured because of the writing experience.

It isn't about the colour - there are plenty of substitute colours already. PPS is treasured because of the writing experience.

Well, could that also possibly be replicated?

The above shall not be construed as legal advice under any circumstances

:blink: Yes, I know, that's why I miss it so much. The substitutes just aren't PPS.

If there is righteousness in the heart, There will be beauty in character. If there is beauty in character, There will be harmony in the home. When there is harmony in the home, There will be order in the nation. When there is order in the nation, There will be peace in the world. Bhagawan Shri Satya Sai Baba

If we haven't said it before, we need to say it now, "Your reviews are amazing". Thank you.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Thanks for the review of the Sapphire ink -excellent presentation! It does seem to hold up well over time. I used the last bit of my Parker Sapphire ink last month and it still had the same intense blue color as when it was new. (Must have been 10-12 years old).

Does anyone know if there is a bottle of Parker Sapphire available anywhere? Have searched for sources but unable to locate the vintage ink.

Thanks ...

Kicks...

If you look in the classifieds section, the member here paperskater (no affiliation, just a happy customer) has some Penman Sapphire that she has reconstituted that you can buy in sample vials. You could always contact her.

If we haven't said it before, we need to say it now, "Your reviews are amazing". Thank you.

Hi,

You're welcome!

Bye,

S1

Thanks for the review of the Sapphire ink -excellent presentation! It does seem to hold up well over time. I used the last bit of my Parker Sapphire ink last month and it still had the same intense blue color as when it was new. (Must have been 10-12 years old).

Does anyone know if there is a bottle of Parker Sapphire available anywhere? Have searched for sources but unable to locate the vintage ink.

Thanks ...

Kicks...

If you look in the classifieds section, the member here paperskater (no affiliation, just a happy customer) has some Penman Sapphire that she has reconstituted that you can buy in sample vials. You could always contact her.

Hi,

+1 for trying a [large] sample.

Also, keep watch in the Inky Thoughts Forum, as lodes of PPS seem to be discovered from time to time, and members are keen to report such.

Bye,

S1

• 2 years later...

Once again, a review to be remerberd... I came across a bottle of thosnonk this spring in a small town of Sicily, wrote with it for the whole spring and summer and I am now facing the almost empty bottle I brought back home. I am seriously addicted. Argh!!

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!