Complete List of Waterproof Inks

NeoTiger

Unless I missed it in the subsequent replies, you could also add Noodler's Baystate Blue to your waterproof list.

Cheers,

C-C

Finally he said, "Well, the hours are good..."

..."So the hours are pretty good then?" [Ford] resumed.

The Vogon stared down at him as sluggish thoughts moiled around in the murky depths.

"Yeah," he said, "but now you come to mention it, most of the actual minutes are pretty lousy."

-- H2G2

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NeoTiger

• Ink Stained Wretch

• fjf

• fiberdrunk

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 months later...

Need to add Noodler's "Prime of the Commons" blue-black security contract ink to the list.

A nice ink, with added benefits (bulletproof, eternal and changes colour if bleached).

Arnaldo

Cheapest waterproof ink (iron gall) - Hero Blue-Black. (especially if you live in New York or China)

Where, exactly, are you getting Hero Blue/Black in NYC? Last time I tried to get some at the place I was told about they were out of it. What's it cost?

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

• 1 month later...

You might want to include the Dr. Ph. Marten "Bombay" inks. They're india type inks and quite waterproof. I use them in my dropper filler Esterbrook Frankenpen all the time.

Gladwriter

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i175/Gladtobemom/Pens/SailorEFDemonstrator-1.jpg

A useful list. Thank you!

Fountain Pen is for people who have a delicate taste in writing

Pens Actively In Use

MB 149-f; MB Solitaire SS (FP-ef,BP,MP)

MB (LE) G.B.Shaw (FP-m,BP,MP); MB LeGrand (RB,BP,MP)

Parker Duofold Presidential Esparto sol.SS (FP-f, BP)

Parker Duofold PS SS (FP-f, RB)

Parker Doufold Marbled Green (FP-f,BP,MP)

Parker Duofold Marbled Gray (FP-xf)

S.T. Dupont Orpheo XL Platinum Diamond Head (FP-m)

S.T. Dupont Orpheo XL Platinum/ChinLacquer Black (FP-f)

Iron-Gall Inks:

Mont Blanc Blue-Black (same as Lamy)

Lamy Blue-Black (same as MB)

Rohrer & Klingner Salix

Rohrer & Klingner Scabiosa

Diamine Registar's Ink

Advantages:

Will not creep like Noodler's products.

Is this a fact you have from own experiences? I use Montblanc Blue-Black in my Montblanc 146, and experience nib creep. Furthermore, I seem to remember that this has been a general complaint about Montblanc Blue-Black in both their own pens and those from other manufacturers.

Thank you for creating the list, it will surely be helpful to a lot of us here.

Edited by zerobuttons

Pilot Capless Black Carbonesque - Pelikan M800 Demonstrator - Pelikan M625 blue -
Montblanc 146 platinum - Rotring 600 series 1 - Lamy Persona black - Lamy 2000 -
Waterman Edson green - Chatterley Visconti Ripple silver/clear - Visconti Homo Sapiens -
Pilot Custom 823 black - Pilot Art Craft Koushi - Nakaya Piccolo Cigar Akatame
Nakaya Portable Writer matte black urushi - Nakaya Titanium Piccolo -

Namiki Emperor red urushi
Pen photos

Thank you so much for this list!

Reminds me of last week when I spilled water on my work table and it washed out all of my notes for the day, as I had used Noodler's Shah's Rose. LOL I was like, well, now I know THAT ink ain't water resistant! :rolleyes:

Pens I own: Waterman Hemisphere F, Pelikan Epoch M, Parker Frontier Luna Purple M, 9 Lamy Safaris, 2 Pelikan Futures, 2 Heros, Taccia Amethyst Mosaic M, Lamy 2000 B, Kaweco Sport B, Pelikan M101N Souveran

When I win the lottery: Montblanc Boheme Doue Collection - Pirourette with Lilac Stone FP

• 3 weeks later...

Here's two more to tango:

Looks like Noodler's Eternal Periwinkle can also join this excellent and extremely useful list.

and

Polar Brown is one of the most durable fountain pen inks that Noodler's makes - once dried upon cellulose paper it exhibits that sought after resistance to bleaches and the chemical tools of the forger as well as UV light resistance and pH neutrality.
from Noodler's

Thanks Nathan! Am I the only one who has trouble keeping up with this guy? I've heard he's up to 500+ inks now, counting discontinued products.

Edited by DilettanteG

Noodler's Polar Blue can be added to the list as well. I wish Noodler's would clearly post a list like this.

As for people wanting to try polar black, it is a dark and full black. It has actually got me to a point where I like black ink. This is because it is very deep and full, your writing really stands out.

Need money for pens, must make good notebooks. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Inks to add to the water-resistant list:

Noodler's Borealis Black

Platinum Blue-Black

The new Sheaffer Skrip Black, Pelikan Black (also sold as A T Cross Black), and Platinum Black are somewhat water-resistant, but not as much as the others on the water-resistant list.

More Noodler's bulletproofs that I don't recall being mentioned:

• X-Feather

• Kung Te-Cheng

• Manijiro Nakahama Whaleman's Sepia

• Whiteness of the Whale

Noodler's Singapore Series (all bulletproof)

• Esplanade

• Honourable Blue

• Judicial Black

• Lotus Grace

• Majestic Orange

• Peranakan Brown

• Samsui Red

• Sentosa Tranquility

• Singapore Sepia

• Singapore Sling

• Spirit of Bamboo

• Vanda Miss Joaquim

Inks currently in pens: Noodler's La Reine Mauve, Rachmaninov, Prime of the Commons Blue-Black, Naval Orange, MN Whaleman's Sepia, Verdun Green, Majestic Orange; J. Herbin Violette Pensée, Rose Cyclamen, Orange Indien

Blog Twitter Facebook

Need to add Noodler's "Prime of the Commons" blue-black security contract ink to the list.

A nice ink, with added benefits (bulletproof, eternal and changes colour if bleached).

I've never seen that FS anywhere, only recall reading somewhere about one of their inks that does change color when bleached for added fraud-resistance.

What vendor/s carries it?

TIA

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

There is nothing else like it; the art of writing and the painting of words!”

~Inka~ [scott]; 5 October, 2009

As far as I know, Noodler's Prime of the Commons Blue-Black is still sold only in the UK. You can purchase them at the following 2 establishments (no affiliation, just a happy customer of Niche Pens):

Niche Pens

The Writing Desk

If you're purchasing from the US, make sure you request a refund of the VAT tax (~15%)! :)

Inks currently in pens: Noodler's La Reine Mauve, Rachmaninov, Prime of the Commons Blue-Black, Naval Orange, MN Whaleman's Sepia, Verdun Green, Majestic Orange; J. Herbin Violette Pensée, Rose Cyclamen, Orange Indien

Blog Twitter Facebook

J. Herbin's Poussiere de Lune is waterproof, at least when I tested it on a regular mead index card recently.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

• 4 weeks later...
Yes, it must be blacker than Noodler's regular black, which is already extremely black. I keep forgetting if Eternal means Bulletproof or if there's some subtle distinction.

Hi all

Have yet to see an answer to this question about the distinction between Eternal and Bulletproof.

Anyone have any ideas/insight?

Ta.

Yes, it must be blacker than Noodler's regular black, which is already extremely black. I keep forgetting if Eternal means Bulletproof or if there's some subtle distinction.

Hi all

Have yet to see an answer to this question about the distinction between Eternal and Bulletproof.

Anyone have any ideas/insight?

Ta.

Yes, the difference is subtle:

http://www.noodlersink.com/benefits.html

Also, bulletproof doesn't mean smearproof or runproof. That's a common complaint in some threads and an exciting water test in other threads.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm afraid that Sailor Black isn't very water-resistant. Platinum Carbon Black, on the other hand, is waterproof.

post-4426-1243803464_thumb.jpg