fountain pen taboos - don't enter if you're easily offended

bushido

Even the Montblanc 149 and The Pelikan M1000 can only hold around 1.2 to 1.8ml, said in another thrad. So, the only pen I know which can hod more is th Pilot Custom 823... any other sugestions? (I know, this is OT)

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bushido

• 79spitfire

• ethernautrix

• Vladimir

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is great. Please refer to the post about ink quantity for these two pens or please document on FPN your own experiment to quantify ink capacity. I'm tired of this he-said, she-said (dung).

Even the Montblanc 149 and The Pelikan M1000 can only hold around 1.2 to 1.8ml, said in another thrad. So, the only pen I know which can hod more is th Pilot Custom 823... any other sugestions? (I know, this is OT)

Edited by niksch

Thank a Veteran.

Comment by Robert Allen

18th of January

"Con-20 Con-50 vs cartridges" thread, Pens from the Land of the Rising Sun-Subcategory

And he is very close to what I measured myself, so close, I do not even wanna look it up now, it's close to 6:20 in the morning, been up all night.

So, byebye, I am hitting the hay... no need for being rushed or causing distress.....

"Actually, I prefer the CON-70 vacuum-filled converter. It holds more ink than some dedicated piston-filled pens (1.1cc of ink! A Pilot cartridge holds 0.89cc and a Custom 823 pen holds 1.59cc--more than any piston-filled fp on the market). Of course, the CON-70 won't fit in the Capless/Vanishing Point models, but it's great in my Custom 74 pens. In all but my vintage Capless pens, I prefer the CON-50 since I can easily see how much ink is in the converter plus I can see the color (if I forget which pen has what).

BTW, a Pelikan M800 holds 1.22cc of ink and, surprisingly, an M1000 holds 1.02cc. An MB149 holds 1.32cc and the 146 holds 1.32cc! So one can cc, I mean see, that the CON-70 holds a lot for a converter. Unfortunately, Pilot doesn't get much attention for this design--but it should.

Oh, yes, almost forgot, the CON-50 holds 0.81cc and the CON-20 holds much less, but I don't have an actual measurement. Someone should check with a graduated syringe.

Cheers, Robert "

Cordialement

TheHOINK

Edited by TheHOINK

This is the life we chose, the life we lead... and there is... only... one guarantee. ... None of us will see heaven!

Happiness is not defined by what maximum you can afford, but by which minimum you are satisfied.

Hey,

Now that we're on a roll. Why would anyone pay more than $1.50 for a fountain pen that doesn't have a screw-on cap?

Personally, I prefer not to use screw on caps. I write, stop for minutes, write, start and stop. Screw ons take too much time. For me a screw on is bling factor, though I know you'll say it keeps the ink from drying out, as does a quality push on.

What else do we have in life if not to help each other?

We are getting way OT.

And tehre are always people who can not be comforted.

So, why not make up a thread called "He said / She said Dung about the capacity of my favourite Pen" and measure all for yourself?

No, I am not offended, just annoyed, so let's get back to topic.

Cordialement

TheHOINK

This is the life we chose, the life we lead... and there is... only... one guarantee. ... None of us will see heaven!

Happiness is not defined by what maximum you can afford, but by which minimum you are satisfied.

It's even worse when I see people with more money than sense ostentatiously whipping one out and making sure everybody's seen their replacement phallus before they put it away again. They don't actually use their fountain pen for any real writing of course, just when there are witnesses (and no this does not mean I dislike everybody who owns a MB 149, I just don't get the whole status thing).....

Staff at pen counters in department stores. Why do they not receive proper basic training beyond selling Mont Blancs? I actually asked a lady at one of them if they sold Pelikan nibs and she asked me what a Pelikan was. I then showed her my pen and pointed out they sold Pelikan inks, to which she replied very few people buy bottled ink nowadays so she'd never really paid attention to them.

/rant

:notworthy1: So on point I felt a little stab...

(But I like that Parker arrow....I guess it's the geezer in me...)

Edited by esterbex

God is seldom early, never late, and always on time.

~~Larry Brown

Whats up with a bit of bling ??

http://i847.photobucket.com/albums/ab37/bitsforsale09/Visconti_Fountain_Pens2-thumb-450x6.jpg

http://i847.photobucket.com/albums/ab37/bitsforsale09/aaaB-6eBGkKGrHgoH-DkEjlLly9hRBKrReO.jpg

Moby

Moby! Now thas wut Am talkin' `bout!

Seriously, I don't have the money for the type of majesty depicted here, but people do. Lifestyles around the world are very different. Yes, some of these things are designed to show power, wealth and status. Can you imagine visiting a Queen or King and them using a Bic? Granted the one with the magnets holding it is a bit much(I forget whose it is), but there is a place for everything. Perhaps those who can drop $10k cash on a pen without blinking are wondering what the hell you're talking about. Not every Earl or Knight is down to earth. There is a reason for the phrase, "He was born with a silver spoon in his mouth." When you are raised with it, it becomes as natural as the air we breathe. It is the newly rich who want their kids to grow up making it on their own, but that is a tangent to tatoos! :roflmho:

Edited by dnb

We are getting way OT.

So, why not make up a thread called "He said / She said Dung about the capacity of my favourite Pen" and measure all for yourself?

Cordialement

TheHOINK

Sorry for offending you, Hoink. I didn't realize this thread, in particular, was for sensitive eyes. Besides, the thread has never been "on topic" since it was supposed to be about FP taboos and turned into FP dislikes. BTW, my citation of nib.com's M600 capacity was done out of innocence since the point of my rant was about FP that hold very little ink in comparison to others.

ignore this. Sorry.

Edited by dnb

Let's see. YOU made an assertion, YOU cannot find the data to support your assertion, and now YOU want to say that we are off topic.

Awesome. Yes, this is a pile of (dung).

We are getting way OT.

Cordialement

TheHOINK

Edited by niksch

Thank a Veteran.

How about for a taboo:

I confess I actually like some of the Conklin pens (the new ones, not the vintage, though I like those too...)

I must say that I have complaints about Pelikans: their screw-on caps come off to easily!

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

Sailor King of Pens "M" nib running Van Dieman's Heemskerch and Zeehaen

Actually, I thought this was the entire point of the thread.

Cherry cordials to you too.

Thank a Veteran.

That's what I thought, no substantive commentary about ink capacity...only conjecture from a "robert allen" who has not given any basis for his 146 or 149 ink capacities.

It's one thing to reference an FPN post as a source, it's quite another to reference AS A FACT a post with only conjecture as its basis.

Comment by Robert Allen

18th of January

"Con-20 Con-50 vs cartridges" thread, Pens from the Land of the Rising Sun-Subcategory

And he is very close to what I measured myself, so close, I do not even wanna look it up now, it's close to 6:20 in the morning, been up all night.

So, byebye, I am hitting the hay... no need for being rushed or causing distress.....

"Actually, I prefer the CON-70 vacuum-filled converter. It holds more ink than some dedicated piston-filled pens (1.1cc of ink! A Pilot cartridge holds 0.89cc and a Custom 823 pen holds 1.59cc--more than any piston-filled fp on the market). Of course, the CON-70 won't fit in the Capless/Vanishing Point models, but it's great in my Custom 74 pens. In all but my vintage Capless pens, I prefer the CON-50 since I can easily see how much ink is in the converter plus I can see the color (if I forget which pen has what).

BTW, a Pelikan M800 holds 1.22cc of ink and, surprisingly, an M1000 holds 1.02cc. An MB149 holds 1.32cc and the 146 holds 1.32cc! So one can cc, I mean see, that the CON-70 holds a lot for a converter. Unfortunately, Pilot doesn't get much attention for this design--but it should.

Oh, yes, almost forgot, the CON-50 holds 0.81cc and the CON-20 holds much less, but I don't have an actual measurement. Someone should check with a graduated syringe.

Cheers, Robert "

Cordialement

TheHOINK

Edited by niksch

Thank a Veteran.

<rant on>

I have a MB rollerball that writes flawlessly, now that I've replaced the refill with a Rotring. I went through about 6 or 7 new, fresh, pristine MB RB refills (bought from different stores, at different times, etc.) that all uniformly sucked big time. Every one. So, I've given up. But, maybe that was just my really bad luck. If that pen wasn't a gift, I would have returned it for sure.

I've had a MB roller for quite some time. They have always written quite well, although they write best when brand new (as does Cartier).

As for my gripes:

Metal sections are too hard to keep a grip on for long.

Some of those mottled coloured pens look like my cat sicked them up.

Short pens you have to post the cap of but the cap weighs a ton.

Lairy colours with lots of bling. Lairy by itself is sometimes fine but with bling it is a bit OTT.

Boring stiff nibs on a pen with a stingy feed. Ack!

And I hate ink that stinks and makes my nose hurt & my head ache! :(

I have an Omas Emotica. The metal section is titanium and not polished. It is quite comfortable for long periods.

2) I see no point in people buying multiple copies of the same pen. There are 1,000s of pens out there, no one will own them all. Why restrict the number of different pens you will own by buying duplicates of ones you already have?

Because I think it's kind of fun and that's what I like about the fountain pen hobby--everybody likes different things. The problem is when I get castigated by someone for using pens that I prefer and they dislike. Or when I'm ridiculed because I have a preference for a particular pen. None of the pens below have the same size nib, they are all from different eras, so the only thing they really have in common is the model number.

http://www.niksch.us/pen_pix/149Family.JPG

:puddle: :puddle: :puddle:

WANT!! WANT!!! WANT!!!!

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y331/fuchsiaprincess/Fuchsiaprincess_0001.jpg http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/036/2/2/Narnia_Flag_by_Narnia14.gif

Bushido,

I know you aren't happy with the way this has turned out, since you originally asked for taboo topics, but look at what fun everyone is having with this thread! It's like a conversation. They all meander here and there, until someone brings them back on point. It's like an old river flowing towards the sea. It goes round and round, but eventually gets to the point.

Thanks for asking the question. :thumbup:

For 30 years I used nothing but Parker Pens, medium nibs.

Then I bought a Pelikan 800, but had to change to a broad nib to match the Parker width. My best pen ever.

Then I had a daliance with cheap Duke pens -- bought 8 of various designs. Realised that the Duke medium nibs wrote finer than the Parker mediums and suited me better.

Then I discovered the Pilot Capless (or VP) and the convenience of the click mechanism. I have 3 in daily use filled with Pelikan Violet (my handwriting colour of choice) Diamine Monaco Red and Diamine Turquoise (for marking up). These, and the Pelikan 800, are now the only pens I use regularly. All the rest are laid up in a 20-pen zipper case.

My preference in order of writing quality with a score out of 10:-

1. Pelikan 800 (10)

2. Pilot Capless (9)

3. Sheaffer Targa (8)

4. Pelikan 200 (6)

5. Conway Stewart 100 (6)

6. Parker Duofold (5)

Just my own thoughts.

Malcolm Webb

Lincoln UK

Malcolm Webb, Lincoln UK

When somebody asks me what Rotary is all about

I tell them it's all about Fun, Fellowship & Caring Service.

... however for those with larger hands the choices are few mb149 , m1000, king of pens and emperor....... did i miss any

Yep, you missed the Bexley Poseidon and Poseidon Magnum. Same width as the M1000 but sweet writers that you can actually carry in nearly any pocket...at least any pocket I have.

Pen........................Barrel Width................Section Width

Poseidon.................0.54...........................0.467

Poseidon Magnum...0.56 (or 0.58?)...........0.46

M1000....................0.56...........................0.46

MB 149...................0.59...........................0.51

THANKS !!!!!!!!!!!