fountain pen taboos - don't enter if you're easily offended

bushido

I was into fountain pens years before I found this forum. I found it because I used to research pens and then stumbled across it. To me this is the natural way of doing things.

What I don't get is people that manage to find the forum yet they've never owned a FP. Then their first post is: can you recommend a pen for XXX.XX.

If you've managed to find the forum you obviously have some skill at searching the web. Instead of creating a new thread, why don't you search the previous posts as you can bet your life that others have asked the similar question.

Why ask strangers for their opinions. Whenever you're buying something the only opinion that matters is your own. Get to a shop, try a few, then make an educated decision.

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bushido

• 79spitfire

• ethernautrix

• Vladimir

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was into fountain pens years before I found this forum. I found it because I used to research pens and then stumbled across it. To me this is the natural way of doing things.

What I don't get is people that manage to find the forum yet they've never owned a FP. Then their first post is: can you recommend a pen for XXX.XX.

If you've managed to find the forum you obviously have some skill at searching the web. Instead of creating a new thread, why don't you search the previous posts as you can bet your life that others have asked the similar question.

Why ask strangers for their opinions. Whenever you're buying something the only opinion that matters is your own. Get to a shop, try a few, then make an educated decision.

OR, just get a Vector or a Frontier, try it on for size, see if you like FPs, then decide what to buy that's more high end. The forums are also full of pen reviews! Right?

It is possible they are somewhat confused after reading all the research, in this forum and others. Also not every town has a shop selling fountain pens, so ordering on the internet is the only option.

I don't like posts suggesting newbies shouldn't ask questions! (that goes for more than just pens BTW!!)

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

I consider myself a newbie but have never asked 'the newbie question' of what pen for E$XXX.XX. I have tried to research several subjects on FPN and have found the search utility not overly helpful - you tend to get a lot of hits, not always terribly relevant, despite trying to limit the search criteria. It can get frustrating and easy to give up and ask 'What pen do you recommend...' I also find it fascinating how the responses change, perhaps because of the people who opt to respond at that given moment.

Rick B.

Tend to get a bit short with lack of objectivity. People who refer to things as rare, best or THE fountain pen (especially on THAT site) Not bashing here, just addressing the posts original question.

thanks

I dislike threads that are too long ;P

then, don't keep adding to it! :headsmack:

But then, what would I have to complain about?!?! ;P :vbg:

montblanc.

Edited by lovemy51

great thread.

so hard to find great used asian pens :(

I guess Asian pens like say Sailor/Pilot-Namiki are very reliable so people keep them?

Why ask strangers for their opinions.

Because they want to chat and be friendly. This may be an alien concept in some places. :ltcapd:

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

General statements of all kinds have been pilloried in this thread. MB's, Lamy's, Varsity's, Pelikans, Parker's, Chinese pens, Noodler's' ... All are great or terrible.

That's okay, it seems to me, because there is as much difference within brands as there are between them. There is enough to go wrong with any individual pen -- the nib, the feed, the oils in manufacturing, the gunk inside -- to turn a great pen into c**p. And any fountain pen working its best is bound to appeal to somebody.

My current biases... subject to change at any time:

I like P51's now. I did; I didn't; I do now. I love how they start right up. I love the design.

I keep trying to like my MB 146. I will try again.

I have quite large hands, but I find -- go figure -- that I like small, narrow pens.

If something works really well, I don't use it after a while.

I like dilute-looking inks. Soon, I will literally dilute them.

Buying brand new pens is like throwing money down a well.

I love Apache Sunset, but I hate the color.

Chinese pens are too heavy.

I think pen shows are weird. Not bad, just weird.

My favorite photo in this thread has been the Worm.

Even the Montblanc 149 and The Pelikan M1000 can only hold around 1.2 to 1.8ml, said in another thrad. So, the only pen I know which can hod more is th Pilot Custom 823... any other sugestions? (I know, this is OT)

Go here:

http://www.allwritenow.net/veruna.html

and scroll down to the Gajendra model. I holds 7ml of ink.

Dragging this one back up for something I just remembered.

Cartridge-converter "demonstrator" pens. What's the point? What are you demonstrating, penmakers? That you either don't trust or won't fund your engineering department? That you can't be bothered? That you don't know how to make a filling system? That's about as much a demonstrator as a Bic.

Cartridge-converter "demonstrator" pens. What's the point? What are you demonstrating, penmakers? That you either don't trust or won't fund your engineering department? That you can't be bothered? That you don't know how to make a filling system? That's about as much a demonstrator as a Bic.

Nah, it's how to see the ink color without having to clean up after it. I bought a Vista just because it looks silly to me.

I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.

From a personal point of view:

1) I see no point collecting lots of cheap pens. Instead of owning x10 $50 pens you could get yourself one very nice pen.

2) I see no point in people buying multiple copies of the same pen. There are 1,000s of pens out there, no one will own them all. Why restrict the number of different pens you will own by buying duplicates of ones you already have?

First of all, I mean this in a good way, BrandonA. But whoa! Who ever deduced that the price of a pen somehow relates directly to the quality of a pen. The idea of translating 10 x $50 pens into one good $500 is at best extremely subjective. I've got a bucket full of Esterbrooks that out perform any Visconti I own.

What I like about this hobby is that I can determine the parameters according to my likes and dislikes. I happen to prefer vintage to new. I have friends that only buy new. But if I wanted to buy (I don't, mind you) 1000 Jinhao X750 FPs, one of each colour and nib size: what the hell. Don't sell your fellow enthusiasts short.

Secondly, no offense taken and no offense intended.

Edited by cuza

Hilarious, there! I think they are demonstrating that they will ride a gimmick into the ground to try to charge more for something. I see it as exactly the same as when the toy makers produce clear or all black versions of their normal products. There is no point other than to trick rubes into paying more for a novelty item. Modern business practices are the super-fertilizer to the gardens of cynicism...

From a personal point of view:

1) I see no point collecting lots of cheap pens. Instead of owning x10 $50 pens you could get yourself one very nice pen.

2) I see no point in people buying multiple copies of the same pen. There are 1,000s of pens out there, no one will own them all. Why restrict the number of different pens you will own by buying duplicates of ones you already have?

First of all, I mean this in a good way, BrandonA. But whoa! Who ever deduced that the price of a pen somehow relates directly to the quality of a pen. The idea of translating 10 x $50 pens into one good $500 is at best extremely subjective. I've got a bucket full of Esterbrooks that out perform any Visconti I own.

What I like about this hobby is that I can determine the parameters according to my likes and dislikes. I happen to prefer vintage to new. I have friends that only buy new. But if I wanted to buy (I don't, mind you) 1000 Jinhao X750 FPs, one of each colour and nib size: what the hell. Don't sell your fellow enthusiasts short.

Secondly, no offense taken and no offense intended.

As collector and now user I have a leg in both camps and can agree and disagree with both comments. I never intend my collection to be huge. I also intend my collection to have an investment side to it.

So I am going about collecting expensive LEs which will never be inked and then some very nice inexpensive Pens for use. With inks I have about 12 or so and this will do me. I have found, to my absolute amazement, that some of my cheapest Pens write the best for me. And I have also found that I have managed to collect some beautiful Pens at ridiculously low prices. So the statement: "cost and quality are not necessarily related" is very true in the Pen world (not found in the watch world).

But I wouldn’t have 50 cheap Pens for the sake of having them. I would rather have a number of collectables and then some fine Pens for use. I am about at that point now with the purchase of a Visconti Knights Templar.

the moving finger writes and having writ moves on..

Visconti Kakadu, Knights Templar and Opera Master, Jinhao Abalone Shell, Classic 626 SandBlast, Montegrappa Cortina, Monteverde Carbon Fibre and Huashilai Executive Marblied.

Hilarious, there! I think they are demonstrating that they will ride a gimmick into the ground to try to charge more for something. I see it as exactly the same as when the toy makers produce clear or all black versions of their normal products. There is no point other than to trick rubes into paying more for a novelty item. Modern business practices are the super-fertilizer to the gardens of cynicism...

Demonstrators don't always cost more. And some people just think they look cool. But, hey, if you're happy to call us rubes for having different tastes....

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

the box thing is all about giving gifts to others.........for the hardcore there should be plain paper wrapping at 10 percent off.

lot of hate out there for MB...... however for those with larger hands the choices are few mb149 , m1000, king of pens and emperor....... did i miss any

ps i hate translucent ink :)

i'm looking at a couple "Varuna's" from India. heard they are good pens that perform well and they are large pens. kind of earthy looking and feeling i hope. can't go down to the corner store and look at one though. that's what's cool about FPN; i can get info from other humans.

For what price is a fountain pen considered cheap?

Ten dollars and under!

That is really cheap!

I didn't even know that fountainpens so cheap existed.