fountain pen taboos - don't enter if you're easily offended

bushido

I needed to jot a quick note and reached past a shaefer with a leaking sac, a Parker with a displaced feed, and a waterman that drips and plucked a pilot varsity from the coffee cup on my desk. It had been there unused for over a year but smoothly put ink to paper.

If only all my pens could duplicate the quality and reliability of my $2 varsity.

A point I've tried to make before myself... :thumbup:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bushido

• 79spitfire

• ethernautrix

• Vladimir

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1. There is no such thing as an "important" pen.

2. Having tried several assorted MB's they are nice enough writers but hopelessly overpriced in my opinion as are Omas and Montegrappa. Aurora has the edge at this level.

3. Each to his own really - I use pens daily in the office, often pens that would raise an eyebrow or three amongst collectors - especially a 15PSF as a daily knockabout!

4. Some cheap pens are truly atrocious, equally some very expensive ones are almost as bad!

5. Some iconic pens e.g Parker 51 do not suit me at all - I find them absolutely vile in every way.

6. I fail completely to bond with any Parker pen for some unfathomable reason

7. If all else fails, get a vintage Waterman or Wyvern, they invariably work and write well.

8. If you want to collect pens, get the pens that you like to use - not the ones that "should" be in a collection, otherwise you will always be disenchanted.

9. Price is not everything

10. Learn to do your basic repairs & maintenance if at all possible.

I think Grant's pen might be somewhat important if it were ever to show up (proveably). Also pens that were used for famous documents, like the quill used on the Declaration of Independance. It always takes some outside connection to something to make it important, but there are important pens out there (or were in some cases, but some do survive).

My main gripe is about the fact that the prices of even the so-called entry level pens are beyond what I can afford. Without trying an MB, I can't complain about their performance, but I do think their pricing appears out of line with their value. I guess value is in the eye of the beholder really. For those who can afford it, if they want one, bully for them. I do appreciate that there are other pens that are reported to write just as well for half or less the sales price, however half a fortune is still more than I can afford. Really all I wish is that the prices were more reachable so I could form more of my own opinions about the different types of pens out there to enjoy by actually trying them. That said, it seems that hobbies in general are getting more and more elite pricing all the time. I used to collect toys, but now even new toys are more expensive than they used to be. And I don't mean regarding inflation. Toy makers have realized that people buy their products to save in case they become more sought after later, so they specifically price things higher to start with knowing that die hard collectors will become knuckleheads and pay whatever they ask. At least poverty can help some people avoid being knuckleheads, but that doesn't make it taste any better when you have to watch from the shore while everyone else has fun in the speedboat...

I haven't posted here yet because I didn't have anything to say, but now I do:

I don't think that I like flexy nibs. I'm sorry; don't beat me up! I bought a Wahl Eversharp Skyline with a flexy nib, and I am finding it remarkably difficult to adjust to it. I really wanted to like it, but I just don't. :( Maybe it'll grow on me, but it's not looking good.

The fault, dear Brutus, is not in your Skyline...

-I PERSONALLY! think that all ink should have at least some level of permanence and water resistance. I won't touch an ink that can be wiped out by spilling a drink on it. Maybe for quick notes, but for personal things that I plan on keeping for more than a week, I need something that will last. The only thing I see with non-bulletproof inks is sometimes there are some really spectacular colours! :thumbup: .

-I don't see anything wrong with expensive c/c pens. As long as it is well built and designed, you should be good.

-Poor ink capacity does not bother me. If I can get 6 or 7 pages from a refil, I will be happy enough. Usually, the only pens that have such a low capacity, are c/c pens. If you like the pen, but not the capacity of the converter, get cartridges and a syringe. Works very well for me anyways ;)

I dislike the P51 design.

I happen to love my MB ball point, and would love to add a MB FP, but not at current prices.

MB refills, no matter what type, suck.

I have an intense dislike for sellers that equate "vintage" with "I can charge what I want..."

It is extremely satisfying to find an old pen, purchase and restore it, and then USE IT.

eBay sucks cuz I never get what I want.

I'm hung like Einstein and smart as a horse!

Such a long topic. I hope no one hjas said this already but Ia m tired of people saying what unsafe ink Noodler's makjes. Other than Baystate blue ( and I suppose all the series like concord Grape) I have had no trouble with anuy of them and have used Noodlers in all of my pens. I do clean out each pen after I use up the ink load and generally swith to another color/ink. But occasionally i have refilled up to 4 timnes with the same Noodlers color and had no issues. I would not let ink dry in pens but Parker Quink ruined one of my pens (it WAS dried up for 30 years

:embarrassed_smile: ) but still....

alittel care goes a long way. Baystate blue is still a bear for clean up, however.

b

my question is: why risk it? there are too many other options! aurora black. namiki black. waterman blue. etc etc

Risk what? Except for the bad batch of Lamy feeds (and one or two unconfirmed/unique cases), even BSB is no more likely to damage your pen than other inks. It's perhaps a bit more prone to staining, but isn't that the point of inks? And as far as I've heard, no one has had any problems with any other Noodler's inks.

And nothing compares to BSB.

well if i have a lamy, i'd even try india ink just to see what happens, too.

I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would choose to use a pen with a metal section. Just the thought of it sets my teeth on edge.

For the life of me I can't understand why anyone would complain of people who would choose to use a pen with a metal section. My teeth are ok :D see

1) I don't understand why people love Parkers. (Don't try to explain it to me.)

2) I hate pen bodies and nibs in yellow gold. (St. Dupont might be an exception)

3) I am beginning to hate Lamy. (Not decided yet)

4) I hate overwetness.

5) I hate perfectly round, slippery FP bodies.

6) I live in a country where even men of letters mostly lack FP enthusiasm, and FP sellers don't know what they sell.

7) The idea of matching the notion of fountain pen with that of letter-writing irritates me.

8) The idea of matching the notion of fountain pen with that of signing documents, attending to meetings etc. makes me really sick.

9) St. Dupont and Caran d'Ache make the best FPs on earth, so I think currently.

10) To me, FP is not a wind from the past. FP is a writing tool, a machine in the strictest sense possible.

to be continued...

You should never say "Don't try to explain it to me" It only entices me to do so. :roflmho: :roflmho:

1) People like parker for the same reason people here like any brand of pen they choose to buy; "personal choice"

Edited by pgmarin

But basically, yup. I just switched a cart out of my TWELVE DOLLAR Duke Jade Girl---and two pages later, it's still writing just on fumes. A wonderful wet writer straight out of the box. :vbg:

I have two Jade Girls in my regular rotation. They have never let me down.

If I have a rant it would be about the folks who put down Chinese pens en masse. I have a lot of them. A few Hero 616s are defective (2 out of 20, actually, but they cost me less than ballpoint disposables), but most work fine, especially for testing new inks. I have some $15 and $20 pens that write just as well, and just as consistently, as European-made pens at $100. or more.

I may use an "expensive" pen at my desk, but I always carry "cheap" ones to avoid losing them. I have found very little correlation between price and performance.

Such a long topic. I hope no one hjas said this already but Ia m tired of people saying what unsafe ink Noodler's makjes. Other than Baystate blue ( and I suppose all the series like concord Grape) I have had no trouble with anuy of them and have used Noodlers in all of my pens. I do clean out each pen after I use up the ink load and generally swith to another color/ink. But occasionally i have refilled up to 4 timnes with the same Noodlers color and had no issues. I would not let ink dry in pens but Parker Quink ruined one of my pens (it WAS dried up for 30 years

:embarrassed_smile: ) but still....

alittel care goes a long way. Baystate blue is still a bear for clean up, however.

b

my question is: why risk it? there are too many other options! aurora black. namiki black. waterman blue. etc etc

What risk? I've used bulletproof black for three years in the same pen Pelikan M200); I have also used Aurora in an Aurora. No problem with either The BB has some advantages for longevity and no smearing after dry. I have detected no risk for either. But, of course, de gustibus non disputandi est (or something like that). People can prefer whatever they wish, but it would be best to explain as a preference rather than a dubious allegation of danger.

how some people see montblancs as mere status symbols. they claim expertise over novices who indeed view it that way, but in fact they are also uninitiated. mb pens are superlative writing instruments. can you buy cheaper pens that do a lot of what they can do? sure. but can you buy cheaper pens and expect the same writing experience? heck no.

Hm. I guess writing exerience is quite subjective. As for me, my experience has been more pleasant with several substantially cheaper pens than it has been with the two MB's I have owned. Of course, the writing experience was not the same. It has been better with the Pelikans and the Auroras, and--yes--a Chinese Kangeloo! And much better with my Namiki VP, and my Pilot maki-e urushi. But maybe the latter is unfair; it may have cost as much as one of the MB's. (It was a gift, so I don't know.)

General & non-specific brand gripe...FPs that you can't post the cap. I know, it's a matter of preference....

I couldn't agree more, it drives me crazy when I can't post. Even if it is a pen that I would not normally want to post, there are situations where it is just easier (such as when the cat thinks the pen cap looks like a great toy to knock off on to the floor).

Heres another. People who use a boat load of acronyms when speaking to a new guy and expect him to know what they mean. (this applies to forums in general)

how some people see montblancs as mere status symbols. they claim expertise over novices who indeed view it that way, but in fact they are also uninitiated. mb pens are superlative writing instruments. can you buy cheaper pens that do a lot of what they can do? sure. but can you buy cheaper pens and expect the same writing experience? heck no.

Hm. I guess writing exerience is quite subjective. As for me, my experience has been more pleasant with several substantially cheaper pens than it has been with the two MB's I have owned. Of course, the writing experience was not the same. It has been better with the Pelikans and the Auroras, and--yes--a Chinese Kangeloo! And much better with my Namiki VP, and my Pilot maki-e urushi. But maybe the latter is unfair; it may have cost as much as one of the MB's. (It was a gift, so I don't know.)

a comment about the underlined portioned (underlined by me): OUCH!

i can't believe that the scratchy Aurora nibs (or Kaigelu's) are better than any MB's. must be like you said, scribbler77, that "writing experience is quite subjective". but i still like your observations.

I do not like cartridges. I find them expensive and limited. Converters are too small.

I like piston pens and sac pens.

I do not write enough to justify the amount of pens I have. :(

I who never wanted a black pen, must have ten. :doh:

I've no MB, so can not really say anything about them. From the problems I've read, of them with them, they are not on my list to buy.

I am though completely satisfied with the ball point I have from them.

All the Pelikan's I have, five, I like them all. 3 from the early 50's, one from the 84-96, and one new. Others have had problems with the new ones.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I do not write enough to justify the amount of pens I have. :(

+1!

I'm hung like Einstein and smart as a horse!

I dislike threads that are too long ;P

then, don't keep adding to it! :headsmack:

But then, what would I have to complain about?!?! ;P :vbg:

"As to taboo - I can say, having been a member of several fora: wrist watches (3) and stereo/home theatre (6) THIS forum manages the most civility and courtesy. It may be partly due to the moderators, but I believe it's more that we all have a little sense of perspective. The world will not come to an end if I prefer Pelikan brilliant black to Noodler's HOD. On the stereo side, if you like current production Electro-Harmonix EL34 tubes instead of "classic" British Mullard EL 34's you're a expletive included!

Nice going, pen friends!

Joe in Seatle

I sold high end stereo equip for a number of years and the arrogance of many was often times "silly" for lack of better words, the debates and venom spewing forth over interconnect cables, or LP vs CD (and every one knows LP is SOOO much better).

I enjoy FPN because I feel you get honest good advice and answers...especially as a new collector.

On that end "Vintage" FPs are a better buy then the new over priced ones and I just cant stand Parker Quink ink even in my '51.

Have a great day

John in Milwaukee