fountain pen taboos - don't enter if you're easily offended

bushido

As I have said Montblanc's are good solid pens when you ignore the image and hype. But the image is becoming too much fun. In some ways Montblanc's are a 'tool' thing to some, apparently on FPN it takes a real anarchist rebel to sport a Montblanc. Praising a Montblanc here is like wearing a suit and eating a hamburger upfront of a Santa Cruz hippie.

Please no offense; humor and obnoxiousness go together like beer n' pizza sometimes.

WOW I APOLOGIZE DEARLY! I MISUNDERSTOOD YOUR COMMENTS! Sorry for the response, I just realized what you meant. :doh:

Forget what I posted here before

Actually, I like Montblancs, I just fundamentally disagree with the whole concept of a "luxury" good. And, by opposite, I meant opposite to the OP, not to the general population.

Edited by abcde

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bushido

• 79spitfire

• ethernautrix

• Vladimir

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't much like hooded nibs. A fine gold surface catching the light at the business end makes a pen look like a pen, not some furtive would-be peering out like a reluctant turtle with a shrunken head. A 45 nib is tolerable, I suppose, but although I have 51s and 61s their shy little noses always disappoint me.

When you're good at it, it's really miserable.

My thoughts:

-- I happen to like cheap Chinese pens. -- Moo

And you are not alone in this.

BTW, I got my Hua' 3000 to write! Yaaay! I totally love the way this pen looks and feels in the hand.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

My thoughts:

BTW, I got my Hua' 3000 to write! Yaaay! I totally love the way this pen looks and feels in the hand.

Ooh. I saw your post on this. :D Congrats! I was actually contemplating what to do with a few of my pens from Vietnam that either wouldn't draw ink correctly or were hard starters. I'll be using the tips found in your post to work out the problem. ;)

-- Moo

I have lots of inks which shade beautifully--when I print. However, when I go to monoline cursive it the same pen, no more shading. I know it's the result of the laws of physics and chemistry, but I don't want to spend my life printing just to get the ink to look pretty. [insert whiny emoticon here]

I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.

As to the 149; in my view a black Namiki Yukari Royale is infinitely better in every way: feed, balance, finish, etc.....However it also costs twice as much!

(Please don't stone me, it is just my personal view and no offense meant :unsure: )

Cheers, all,

Tadeyev

you get what you pay for, mi amigo! having said that, the 149 is wonderful.....they're both great pens so no need to knock one to boost up the other.

My thoughts:

Ooh. I saw your post on this. :D Congrats! I was actually contemplating what to do with a few of my pens from Vietnam that either wouldn't draw ink correctly or were hard starters. I'll be using the tips found in your post to work out the problem. ;)

-- Moo

Let me know how it goes-- I was SO thrilled to 'fix' this pen.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

As I have said Montblanc's are good solid pens when you ignore the image and hype. But the image is becoming too much fun. In some ways Montblanc's are a 'tool' thing to some, apparently on FPN it takes a real anarchist rebel to sport a Montblanc. Praising a Montblanc here is like wearing a suit and eating a hamburger upfront of a Santa Cruz hippie.

Please no offense; humor and obnoxiousness go together like beer n' pizza sometimes.

Good attempt at starting a flame war with that last remark bud, but actually "opposite" is in relation to the OP, not the general population. Here's a tip at rhetoric: adding "please no offense" doesn't remove previous offensive implications.

But I wholeheartedly disagree with what you consider "not flashy". The 149 is terribly flashy for the simple reason that Montblanc makes it as simple as possible, and jacks the price up to 600 dollars, because they know they can. Its like a rich man who buys a piece of (Potty Mouth) painting for hundreds of thousands of dollars, just to show they can buy it. I'm fairly sure that if some other company made the same EXACT pen as the 149, many of those that praise it would hesitate to buy it.

not sure if i can agree with both of you since most of what i've seen on fpn is that the 149 is solid and they are 100% right. unlike pelikan, mb seem to test their nibs before they sell them. i have -never- written on a bad scratchy new mb but it's just not the case with 3 limited edition pelikans i've purchased. it's really unfortunate because i think pelikan pens are beautiful----who doesn't like that classy black against green striations and the limiteds are even more so.

Not strictly a pen taboo, or a pen dislike, but I can't stand people who cannot tolerate opinions that differ than their own. As in "If you disagree with me you're either defective, deluded or delusional, if not in league with the devil". Luckily those folks don't see to be too plentiful on the FPN - cheap vs pricey, bling vs restrained, we may have different tastes but we all love fountain pens and, I hope, the act of writing with them. We agree to disagree, something that seems all to rare nowadays.

One thing about fountain pens that I can't decide whether it's good or bad - you can't write as quickly with them as you can with a ballpoint, at least in my experience.

This means that the nib you are writing with does not suit your hand. Using a flexible nib encourages slower more deliberate writing. I test a pen for speed by signing with it. My signature is very fast, so is a suitable test of the start and flow rate of the pen. The choice of ink can affect the flow rate of the nib. I have found that ball pens, including rollerballs stick more unpredictably than a fountain pen. I recently was experimenting with a pen that came with black carbon ink cartridges, and while it was perfect in weight and appearance, it did not start well and seemed dry and slow writing. I carefully cleaned it out and changed the cartridge for a Monte Verde cartridge and now the pen starts and flows perfectly for my very fast writing. If you could let us know what type of pen and ink are giving you writing speed problems, I bet that between all of us on this board we could find something that suits your hand.

"You can't write as quickly with them as you can with a ballpoint".

Quite the opposite -once one is experienced-, the reason being you need less pressure with a FP so writing becomes less tiring.

This said, I guess FP forces/encourages paying more attention to the physical act of writing, so for people like me -maybe you too- who are trying to re-learn how to write after years of using ballpens, sure, FPs make it slower.

And of course, as scrawler said, flex nibs make it slower.

I'm a user, baby.

We love what we do not possess. Plato, probably about pens.

Good attempt at starting a flame war with that last remark bud, but actually "opposite" is in relation to the OP, not the general population. Here's a tip at rhetoric: adding "please no offense" doesn't remove previous offensive implications.

But I wholeheartedly disagree with what you consider "not flashy". The 149 is terribly flashy for the simple reason that Montblanc makes it as simple as possible, and jacks the price up to 600 dollars, because they know they can. Its like a rich man who buys a piece of (Potty Mouth) painting for hundreds of thousands of dollars, just to show they can buy it. I'm fairly sure that if some other company made the same EXACT pen as the 149, many of those that praise it would hesitate to buy it.

not sure if i can agree with both of you since most of what i've seen on fpn is that the 149 is solid and they are 100% right. unlike pelikan, mb seem to test their nibs before they sell them. i have -never- written on a bad scratchy new mb but it's just not the case with 3 limited edition pelikans i've purchased. it's really unfortunate because i think pelikan pens are beautiful----who doesn't like that classy black against green striations and the limiteds are even more so.

First, I would like to negate what is quoted here above; I misunderstood duofoldguy's post, and responded because I thought he was insulting me, which he wasn't. I was on the way to the doctor's and in a hurry, so sorry again.

But secondly, I like Montblanc pens, and I am actually considering one, but only because they have a sale at the moment. The sale brings them down to the prices they are actually worth, and that is why I am considering a purchase. Don't get me wrong - they're good pens - but I am sincerely opposed to "name pricing" on "luxury" goods. I believe that overcharging on a name is both dishonest and serves society negatively by propagating class structure (e.g. I have a ________ (Ferrari, Montblanc, etc.), therefore I am better). I know FPNers typically don't think like this however, because, well, they genuinely like fountain pens! I was just expressing my displeasure with the fact that the Montblanc company (well, really Richemont, that obnoxious conglomerate that owns it) pushes and prices the pens based off a superficial value, and many consumers eat up the pens for this false valuation.

Edited by abcde

Okay...pet peeves be aired:

• I think hooded pens are beyond ugly - well into fugly
  • I have yet to see a Parker that inspires me to pay money for it
  • I find myself feeling about MontBlanc the same way I do about BMW...pretty negatively
  • "cigar-shaped" pens are also beyond ugly
  • If I ever seriously consider paying 18k for a pen, somebody please slap me

What is a fude nibbed pen?

The nib bends up, on purpose, to provide a variety of stroke thickness and density. They are supposedly modeled after brushes to write Chinese and Japanese characters. I love 'em.

Je me coucherai moins con. I thought they had just left the G out. So fude is Chinese or Japanese for what - ski-jump? :)

ROTGLMAO

b

From a personal point of view:

1) I see no point collecting lots of cheap pens. Instead of owning x10 $50 pens you could get yourself one very nice pen.

2) I see no point in people buying multiple copies of the same pen. There are 1,000s of pens out there, no one will own them all. Why restrict the number of different pens you will own by buying duplicates of ones you already have?

Took the words right out of my mouth (keyboard). I really see no point in buying cheap pens at all

Everything's relative, I suppose.

So you're saving up to buy this pen, right?

http://www.elitetraveler.com/~resources/images/products/02_Emerald_Pen.jpg

At 1.5 million USD, anything else is a "cheap pen." :glare:

This pen was a one off. People acknowledge different tiers of pens, I personally would never buy the cheaper ones, if I did then I wouldn't feel a need to tell people, it's like eating at McDonalds and then sharing your story. If I had $10,000,000 then I might consider buying it if I were given the chance to.

Another couple:

3) People who are scared to use their pens because of fear of negative reaction from colleagues at work. No one cares, just use it.

4) People who bad mouth a pen or brand merely because they had one bad experience.

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

Just a darn stupid question.... if every pen comes wit a boy you could use for carrying a lot or some more pens than just one... you still would get a lot of unnecessary boxes, right?

TheHOINK

If that was the case (see bold italicized word) I would buy more brand new pens - those boys would be useful to do all the chores round here, that's for sure!

Don't think so. Old boys in England used to say, of apprentices: "One boy is a boy, two boys is half a boy, three boys is no boy at all!"

great thread.

so hard to find great used asian pens :(

What type of Asaian pens are looking for? I have some that I would be willing to sell, if you are interested.

Thanks Brad Harris

God is my Strength.

Brad http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.pnghttp://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

no bad/hate-filled language or anything that violates board rules but opinions that are controversial. like how you think 149 is overrated (i disagree). how krone pens are the best thing since sliced bread (i disagree). that you use your lamy 2000 as a door stop (no way...that scratches the door!).

you get the picture.

remember: what's said here, stays here! no grudges.

-----

i'll start it out with 2 taboos which is more personal than something that may be representative of the fp enthusiast population.

1. i never had good experiences with pelikans. having collected pens since the 90s, my early pelikans were mediocre other than their prices. then i thought to progress to the limiteds and bought 3 at different times; each time the nib was scratchy and didn't write well at all. unacceptable because they were brand new. i flushed it, inspected the nibs, etc. now i wouldn't even look at a pelikan.

2. complaints about how expensive fountain pens are. come on. it's a fountain pen, a specialty item and an anachronism in this day and age, a luxury not necessity. so stop complaining about how expensive they are because there are disposable fountain pens you can get at office depot. if you want new and quality, then expect to pay what the market demands.

i can go on but i won't because i want to hear what you all say.

I enjoy using Pelikans and they always work well for me. I do understand what you are saying there are some brands that do not work for me, for instance Pilot, Mone Verde to name a few.

God is my Strength.

Brad http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.pnghttp://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

As to taboo - I can say, having been a member of several fora: wrist watches (3) and stereo/home theatre (6) THIS forum manages the most civility and courtesy. It may be partly due to the moderators, but I believe it's more that we all have a little sense of perspective. The world will not come to an end if I prefer Pelikan brilliant black to Noodler's HOD. On the stereo side, if you like current production Electro-Harmonix EL34 tubes instead of "classic" British Mullard EL 34's you're a expletive included!

Nice going, pen friends!

And rightfully so, regarding EL 34's, although, if one is truly a purist, a KT-66 or KT-88 is much to be preferred over the EL 34. :rolleyes:

But seriously, I agree, it is most civil here, compared to some other fora.

Donnie

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

From a personal point of view:

1) I see no point collecting lots of cheap pens. Instead of owning x10 $50 pens you could get yourself one very nice pen.

2) I see no point in people buying multiple copies of the same pen. There are 1,000s of pens out there, no one will own them all. Why restrict the number of different pens you will own by buying duplicates of ones you already have?

Took the words right out of my mouth (keyboard). I really see no point in buying cheap pens at all

Everything's relative, I suppose.

So you're saving up to buy this pen, right?

http://www.elitetraveler.com/~resources/images/products/02_Emerald_Pen.jpg

At 1.5 million USD, anything else is a "cheap pen." :glare:

This pen was a one off. People acknowledge different tiers of pens, I personally would never buy the cheaper ones, if I did then I wouldn't feel a need to tell people, it's like eating at McDonalds and then sharing your story. If I had $10,000,000 then I might consider buying it if I were given the chance to.

Another couple:

3) People who are scared to use their pens because of fear of negative reaction from colleagues at work. No one cares, just use it.

4) People who bad mouth a pen or brand merely because they had one bad experience.

I see your point. When Fountain Pens were introduced they were not a luxury item but a necessity. They were priced to sell to the public who used them. With the introduction of the ball point and subsquent other pens they replace the Fountain Pen. The cost of fountain pen for the most part was in range those that needed to use them. Like buying a 65,000 dollar car, it still needs the same repairs. I personally like using vintage pens that at one time were used by the the general population. The results from them are as good if not better then an expensive pen, if you have the luxury of buying high end pens enjoy them. Fountain pen collecting has many levels of price.

God is my Strength.

No, no. Real katana are German.

Really. 'Katana' is Swabian for 'long knife of many folks'.

True story.

first the word isn't of swabian/german origin but portuguese (source: http://www.embaixadadeportugal.jp/cultural-centre/curiosities/en/). second to say 'real' katana are german is an insult to japanese swordmakers past and present. i'll stop there but feel free to continue in another thread as this is ot.

I can't tell if you're writing ironically.

I certainly was.

Damon Young

philosopher & author

OUT NOW: The Art of Reading

http://content.damonyoung.com.au/aor.jpg