fountain pen taboos - don't enter if you're easily offended

bushido

no bad/hate-filled language or anything that violates board rules but opinions that are controversial. like how you think 149 is overrated (i disagree). how krone pens are the best thing since sliced bread (i disagree). that you use your lamy 2000 as a door stop (no way...that scratches the door!).

you get the picture.

remember: what's said here, stays here! no grudges.

-----

i'll start it out with 2 taboos which is more personal than something that may be representative of the fp enthusiast population.

1. i never had good experiences with pelikans. having collected pens since the 90s, my early pelikans were mediocre other than their prices. then i thought to progress to the limiteds and bought 3 at different times; each time the nib was scratchy and didn't write well at all. unacceptable because they were brand new. i flushed it, inspected the nibs, etc. now i wouldn't even look at a pelikan.

2. complaints about how expensive fountain pens are. come on. it's a fountain pen, a specialty item and an anachronism in this day and age, a luxury not necessity. so stop complaining about how expensive they are because there are disposable fountain pens you can get at office depot. if you want new and quality, then expect to pay what the market demands.

i can go on but i won't because i want to hear what you all say.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bushido

• 79spitfire

• ethernautrix

• Vladimir

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From a personal point of view:

1) I see no point collecting lots of cheap pens. Instead of owning x10 $50 pens you could get yourself one very nice pen.

2) I see no point in people buying multiple copies of the same pen. There are 1,000s of pens out there, no one will own them all. Why restrict the number of different pens you will own by buying duplicates of ones you already have?

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

2. complaints about how expensive fountain pens are. come on. it's a fountain pen, a specialty item and an anachronism in this day and age, a luxury not necessity. so stop complaining about how expensive they are because there are disposable fountain pens you can get at office depot. if you want new and quality, then expect to pay what the market demands.

Er, I'm part of the "market" on the consuming side. It's part of my role to complain about prices!

I think the Maki-e pens with pictures of dragons, etc. on them are a little over the top.

Edited by Mary A

God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I am so far behind, I will never die.

-Bill Waterson

Re: the Pelikans - different strokes for different folks. I love my vintage Pelikans, which write smoothly and expressively. Beautifully designed, to boot!

I think the Parker '51' is the most overrated vintage pen ever, groundbreaking design, yes, None the less I don't really like it.

Also, modern pens are WAAYYYY over priced. Limited edition or not, too much money, ESPECIALLY ones that use cheap converters or cartridge, nibs (on the ones I've tried) seem to only go down to a medium size and up, even their fine nibs write a medium line. And don't get started on all those over the top tacky designs. Half of them look like circus pens. :blink: But that's just my spill on it.

Well, that's off my chest now.

Inky Fingers are better than Stinky Fingers.

I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would choose to use a pen with a metal section. Just the thought of it sets my teeth on edge.

I can't stand the idea of buying a new pen for a couple hundred, and then sending it over halfway through the world to make it write. I have a simple workaround for this...I always buy used or restored vintage.

1) I see no point collecting lots of cheap pens. Instead of owning x10 $50 pens you could get yourself one very nice pen.

2) I see no point in people buying multiple copies of the same pen. There are 1,000s of pens out there, no one will own them all. Why restrict the number of different pens you will own by buying duplicates of ones you already have?

And I'm exactly the opposite! But that's what keeps the pen-makers in business.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I like this thread so far....

1) I'll never buy another Bexley. I've been unhappy with both the performance and with the service - I own four and each one has had/still has issues.

2) The Parker Sonnet is overpriced and poorly designed.

1) Pelikan rocks, and here are some opinions about them:

“Since the 1929 début of its first piston filler, Pelikan has been making pens of superb quality”

Richard Binder: http://www.richardspens.com/

“Having had the opportunity to work on most models of most major brands, we have found that Pelikan pens and Pelikan nibs consistently work well for these purposes. However, they do not offer nibs with these characteristics, which is why many of our customers (...) have been buying their Pelikan pens at various retail establishments and sending them to us for alterations.

...In addition to being well-designed, well-constructed and finely finished pens, Pelikans...”

John Mottishaw: http://www.nibs.com/PelikanMainPage.htm

“The one question I am asked more often than any other is, "What is the best fountain pen in the world?" My answer is always - Pelikan

Peter Twydle: http://www.penmuseum.co.uk/pelikan.htm

2 but hey I can also give you an opinion that's truly personal: MB= overpriced :bunny01:

I'm a user, baby.

We love what we do not possess. Plato, probably about pens.

I was just starting out after years of not using FPs, so I had an excuse, but still...

I bought a Dikawen 806 on eBay. Pretty, but heavy as lead.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2801/4427563624_16910f4f93_o.jpg

No more buying pens online. I'll haunt the estate sales this spring.

—Jill

Let there be light. Then let there be a cat, a cocktail, and a good book.

I think the Parker '51' is the most overrated vintage pen ever, groundbreaking design, yes, None the less I don't really like it.

Might have one with a lousy nib. Just because pen is a "51" doesn't automatically make it a great writer imo.

I prefer flex to nail nibs. So biggest advantage for 51's is massive collector & holding gallons of ink for routine charting & paperwork.

Either that or do intakes and progress notes in German black letter...

Also, modern pens are WAAYYYY over priced. Limited edition or not, too much money, ESPECIALLY ones that use cheap converters or cartridge, nibs (on the ones I've tried) seem to only go down to a medium size and up, even their fine nibs write a medium line. And don't get started on all those over the top tacky designs. Half of them look like circus pens. :blink: But that's just my spill on it.

Well, that's off my chest now.

Took me 2 years & quite a bit of wasted money to finally find what I believe is 'full flex' nib from so-called 'golden age of pens.' Big learning curve & just hit & miss since can't really try pens 1st. Now that I finally found one-- no need for any more. I'm happy now! :cloud9:

As for modern so-called tier one pens...

I look at Krone, David Oscarson, & other LE pens & think huh?

Who would waste that kind of money on something with 1.) no line variation & 2.) so big & fat looking, I bet they're like writing with a lead carrot.

That from the peanut gallery of someone who hasn't tried them!

As the Pennsylvania Dutch might say, "Those kinds of pens aren't for writin'-- they're for nice!"

fwiw

--Bruce

I've been using/collecting fountain pens for over 40 years and:

1. I think Parker 51's are the most usable of the older pens out there.

2. Pelikans are in my opinion more durable and user friendly than Mont Blancs.

3. Delta pens have never worked well for me.

4. Krone is ok but only a little better than Delta in my humble opinion.

5. I like the Pilot VP almost as much as Pelikan--I even like their ball points!

6. I like the Parker Sonnett ball pens as every day users--but not their fountain pens-- mine all skipped and wrote too dry.

7. Visconti is a good writer,but I think their resin is too fragile--I have several that

developed cracks.

8. I really like Sailor--almost as much as Pilot. I have 2 and I reall like the way

write.

9. Parker 75's are my next favorite Parker after the 51 I've never had a bad one.

10.I like Lamy ball pens and the 2000 fountain pen, the rest I really haven't used.

I guess thats my 2 cents worth........

Secundum Artem

Because I think it's kind of fun and that's what I like about the fountain pen hobby--everybody likes different things. The problem is when I get castigated by someone for using pens that I prefer and they dislike. Or when I'm ridiculed because I have a preference for a particular pen. None of the pens below have the same size nib, they are all from different eras, so the only thing they really have in common is the model number.

http://www.niksch.us/pen_pix/149Family.JPG

Edited by niksch

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

I enjoy cheap pens because you can try a lot of them for not too much money, and occasionally fall on a real gem.

If I had the $500 spare I wouldn't buy a pen at all. I already have two expensive interests - cycling and photography - and I don't intend FPs to become a third.:)

When you're good at it, it's really miserable.

1) I don't understand why people love Parkers. (Don't try to explain it to me.)

2) I hate pen bodies and nibs in yellow gold. (St. Dupont might be an exception)

3) I am beginning to hate Lamy. (Not decided yet)

4) I hate overwetness.

5) I hate perfectly round, slippery FP bodies.

6) I live in a country where even men of letters mostly lack FP enthusiasm, and FP sellers don't know what they sell.

7) The idea of matching the notion of fountain pen with that of letter-writing irritates me.

8) The idea of matching the notion of fountain pen with that of signing documents, attending to meetings etc. makes me really sick.

9) St. Dupont and Caran d'Ache make the best FPs on earth, so I think currently.

10) To me, FP is not a wind from the past. FP is a writing tool, a machine in the strictest sense possible.

to be continued...

Cogitamus non ideam sed per ideam.

In just three months from my first purchase ever, this is my limited understanding and feeling...

1) My Parker 51 holds a lot of ink, but my fingers slip down to the nib and the nib doesn't flow well (dries up very quickly).

2) My Parker Vacumatic is beautiful, but doesn't hold ink.

3) My Lamy Safari's are great, cheap workhorses and started my love for EF nibs, but the love is waning quickly.

4) My Lamy 2000 was my second pen after a Safari. It writes a smooth wide F line (which I hated both in line size and lack of feedback). It has now evolved into my favorite pen to use out of the bunch.

5) My Lamy Studio is metal, heavy, my fingers slip down the metal section, and the pen has absolutely no soul.

"When your favorite cup breaks, remember it is only a cup." - Epictetus: Enchiridion"