Diamond Point

Apotheosis

That looks like a nice pen Jay25s, how does it write?

Hej Uncle Red. I have no idea how they write as I do not dare try them as they seem to be unused. I really want to try one out, but......

Regards

Jay

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Apotheosis

• Mauricio

• jays25s

• ivyman

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hej

I was totally blown away by these pens and then as luck had it, I got two Diamond Point Nr1s. I can't seem to find any information about them, is there anyone out there that can help?

Regards

Jay

Jay,

It looks like you have a Diamond Point pen made in the 1940s. However, your picture does not display to much detail about the clip and other features of that pen. Very pretty celluloid color. Enjoy it.

Hej Mauricio

I've taken a few more close up photos of the pens.

I also have a black version and they both seem to be unused, I'd love to know if they write like the amazing examples above.

Thanks for the info so far.

Cheers

Din vän

Jay

post-72179-0-82574100-1338220455.jpg

• 2 years later...

Wow glad I found this topic. I have one of these with a 14k warranted # 2 flex nib. I bought this from a pen dealer a few years ago to draw with. He had put a new sac in it and I returned a week later and he put another sac in it. It still doesn't fill and I gave up. While the lever appears to work, it seems to twist the sac inside. I would really love to use this pen or better still put this nib on a modern piston fill pen. Can anyone offer suggestions?

Thanks so much---frustrated artist

post-34670-0-03679000-1405748472_thumb.jpg

post-34670-0-00495400-1405748499_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

After collecting a few beautiful LE ST Dupont Chinese lacquer pens and a few vintage flex pens such as Waterman 7 with pink nib, Waterman 100 Years pen, Mabie Todd, and Wahl Eversharp etc., I came across this thread on FPN and became interested in acquiring a vintage oversize Diamond Point pen to add to the fun and joy in flex writing. Actually, I found it not that easy to find a good Diamond Point pen with a nice flex nib. I was lucky recently to be able to find an oversize red hard rubber Diamond Point pen C1928 with a warrranted #8 Diamond Point nib (see attached photos). The nib flexes from a nice, fine F to BB. The pen fills a fair bit of ink and I am having a lot of fun flexing with it. I paired this red hard rubber pen with Caran d"Ache Saffron ink and I am very happy with this acquisition. I would highly recommend vintage Diamond Point pens to be added to any collection, provided the pen was not made much later than 1930. I think the latest Diamond Point vintage I would consider buying is the domed ends 1930 vintage.

post-101419-0-71710700-1411091974_thumb.jpg

post-101419-0-23416900-1411092044_thumb.jpg

post-101419-0-62495000-1411092091.jpg

post-101419-0-78289400-1411092117.jpg

• 7 months later...

Do any of you know if Diamond Point ever put out a sub-brand, especially during the flat-top ebonite years?

I have a pen branded "The Union" that looks a lot like these. Richard Binder mentions a Union sub-brand of Morrison, but this doesn't look like the pens he describes. Another blogger found a similar pen, with documents indicating it was indeed made by Diamond Point.

More details, a link to the other blog post, and larger photos here: http://www.ravenmoon.us/posts/unionpen/

Thanks!

http://www.ravenmoon.us/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Union-300x254.jpg

Pen

http://www.ravenmoon.us/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/UnionClip-170x300.jpg

Clip

http://www.ravenmoon.us/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Union-lever-300x298.jpg

Lever

• 1 month later...

I just picked this one up and am restoring it. I have finished everything except buffing the cap. I couldnt buff any more without stopping to ink it up and play with it. :D

18583088662_dbb37242df_b.jpg

18561199936_b54567c2ea_b.jpg

18583084422_6e9ae6fb88_b.jpg

18589675341_ed89e8dd80_b.jpg

18587564195_2071f02c4c_b.jpg

18561202746_24a7ee3c41_b.jpg

I just found this review and have to agree that those pens are gorgeous. And thinking back to my very small collection I think I may actually have one. It hasn't been restored and now I am just drooling at the prospect of having it put back in writing shape. I will post a pic as soon as possibel. Does anyone know of a restorer who works on Diamond Point pens.

The pen is mightier than the sword unless someone stabs you with the sword.

• 2 months later...

Late to the party as often.

I LOVE Diamond Points. I can thank Mauricio from helping me see them as pretty plastic 3rd tier pens to becoming a serious part of my collection. I was particularly successful finding them at the Washington DC Show, as I reeled in no less than 5 of them.

I'm particularly enamored with the celluloids. There is no other manufacturer that did things like this - I'd suggest they took the Waterman turquoise celluloid from the Patricians and created all sorts of new varieties on the theme.

Crappy photo with a phone camera, but you get the idea

fpn_1439900888__diamond_points.jpg

• 11 months later...

I have a New D.P. Pen Co. lady's purse pen or ringtop w/ a Jos. Lipic gold nib, but missing a cap band. Needs restoration or service.

Has a pregnant barrel but otherwise OK. Any interest?

• 4 weeks later...

Can't remember where I picked this up. It is in nonworking condition. But you see the size of it compared to the pens next to (3rd from top).post-52548-0-20682200-1472680186_thumb.jpegpost-52548-0-47285200-1472680213_thumb.jpegpost-52548-0-28686300-1472680258_thumb.jpegpost-52548-0-68762900-1472680233_thumb.jpegpost-52548-0-01824400-1472680342_thumb.jpeg

Edited by need4news

• 3 months later...

I have just acquired my second Diamond Point pen, made in the 1920s. It is a wet noodle and as soon as I saw it, I bought it right away and now, I have a piece of fountain pen history in my hand.

Diamond Point Checkerboard

Manufacturer/Model: Diamod Point New York/USA
Year of production: Early 1920's
Filling system: Bladder Lever filling
Nib: Solid 14K gold; M medium flat. Super flexible wet noodle nib, will write up to 3B
Material: All body and cap thick 14 gold filled with checkerboard pattern. Base is hard rubber
Length (pen closed): 124mm closed, posted at 150mm

Condition and information:

I am proud to own this American relic, a piece of history, pen made by one of the first American pen companies, Diamond Point, made in New York in 1920's. The Diamond Point Pen Company was founded in the later 1890's. They've set up a goal to compete with the major pen companies at the time, Parker, Waterman, Conklin and other. They made progress with every new line they launched, step by step they were coming closer to the quality and craftsmanship of their competitors. First they sold their brand under few other names, and distributed by different vendors, however when new leadership set in early 1910, they were already catching up to the competition. This pen was made at the peak of their manufacturing and quality. A trained eye will see many of the features found on the Wateman pens at the time, the quality is amazing, and having this pen here in such a condition after nearly 100 years, is a proof of that, speaks volumes. Entirely made by hand, this was one of the companies flagship pens at the time, famous for their completely flat top caps, the Diamond Pen company. Unfortunately the Great Depression hit and pen sales started to plummet. Even the biggest players had trouble surviving it and many didn't. The Great Depression was a death sentence for many of these smaller pen companies. The Diamond Point did survive it, but started to make lower quality pens, sold here and there and never reached its full potential, finally closing in early 1950's.

This pen is however the legacy. The pen is perfectly balanced, with superb form factor. Thin at the section with a nice form factor firm grip section, and thicker at the body and cap. The bladder filler works like new. We have replaced the bladder with new one with optimal capacity. The pen feels very solid, long and heavy. Beautiful checkerboard pattern gives the pen a stunning looks. There are also long guilloche lines in a group of 5s, one of the finest ever seen on the pen. Keep in mind this was all done by hand, so this is truly astonishing craftsmanship. A very unique feature is the clip engraving. "Diamond point" was usually written as a whole name on the clip. On this clip is written as "Diamond P.P. Co" - standing for "Diamond Point Pen Company". The nib is one of the best I've ever tried. Its a true "wet noodle" nibs, as they use to make in the early 1900's. It will write any size the user wants. If no pressure is applied, I would rate the nib at M medium, but this is unlike modern pens its is a flat point M. This means that with a slight rotation the pen can write thinner then M, F or even EF. Nice heart shaped breading hole. The nibs tines split apart as soon as it touches the paper, so it will get some time to adjust to writing with such a nib. The feed is elongated and with deep and wide ink canal to support such a wet pen. The pen is in excellent condition, there are some signs of use, some surface scratches but barely visible. This is truly a remarkable pen in every respect, and a true piece of history. Too bad this company didn't make it, to keep Parker, Waterman and others on their toes.

post-101419-0-74450500-1482540948_thumb.jpg

post-101419-0-37647400-1482540967_thumb.jpg

post-101419-0-75854300-1482541009_thumb.jpg

post-101419-0-74726800-1482541034_thumb.jpg

Edited by ivyman

• 2 months later...

Great review and great handwriting, Leo!

I've recently purchased a Diamond Point (from Mauricio, great person!). I didn't know really much on these pens, but I'm really satisfied of this oversize fountain pen. I agree completely to Leo review, just want to add some pictures of mine (a woodgrain finish):

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_1v8Xv71Du3g/S5tZmBPsnTI/AAAAAAAAHYA/J2aEPTGDR54/s400/di%2009.JPGhttp://lh5.ggpht.com/_1v8Xv71Du3g/S5tZZWuIunI/AAAAAAAAHXk/krtW64lSbJs/s400/di%2004.JPG

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_1v8Xv71Du3g/S4QPR8MM1XI/AAAAAAAAHSo/_faJvATtmkw/s400/Diamond%2013.JPG http://lh6.ggpht.com/_1v8Xv71Du3g/S4TQD19issI/AAAAAAAAHTM/UbDOBdUejQM/s400/24022010293.jpg

Great pics and writing samples tipstricks! I have an identical pen, I believe. Mine has a #2 14K nib. It's an heirloom from my grandfather. Any idea about the age/history of this model?

• 2 weeks later...

It's been way too long since I've last laid down some ink but life happens.

Many thanks all for keeping this thread going and i just love the photos of these magnificent Diamond Point collection !

Best,

Leo

https://imgur.com/8TOQh8v

"Oey !! Gimme back my pen !"

• 5 months later...

i generally don't go for small pens, but i couldn't pass this one up when it appeared on ebay four years ago for a very reasonable buy-it-now price:

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll296/penmanila/zx26_zps386c0d50.jpg

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll296/penmanila/zx26b_zps9e20844e.jpg
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll296/penmanila/zx26a_zps5f432154.jpg

Check out my blog and my pens