Waterman Phileas cartridge and/or converter question

BamaPen

I just purchased a slightly used Waterman Phileas, which came with neither ink cartridge or converter. I assumed it would use a standard small international cartridge, so inserted one - it seated with a nice click - and found that I could not completely screw the barrel on. I have a handful of small squeeze type converters that are tapered/rounded at the top, so I inserted one of those and the barrel screwed on just fine.

Are Waterman cartridges different than standard international? Also, is there a larger converter that will fit the Phileas? If so, please let me know where to find one.

The Moonwalk Pen - honoring Apollo lunar landings
4-x-2-advertisement-copy-reduced-size.jp

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RitaCarbon

• Sailor Kenshin

• Con

• BamaPen

Top Posters In This Topic

I just purchased a slightly used Waterman Phileas, which came with neither ink cartridge or converter. I assumed it would use a standard small international cartridge, so inserted one - it seated with a nice click - and found that I could not completely screw the barrel on. I have a handful of small squeeze type converters that are tapered/rounded at the top, so I inserted one of those and the barrel screwed on just fine.

Are Waterman cartridges different than standard international? Also, is there a larger converter that will fit the Phileas? If so, please let me know where to find one.

Yes. Yes, they are. (As I have tried to my regret!)

If your Phileas didn't come with a converter - then any converter made by Waterman will fit, and they're all a standard size.

You might try Pear Tree Pens or a few other online dealers (suggestions, anyone?) for a Waterman converter.

The Waterman carts are sold in many places. I think even isellpens has them, or Jetpens perhaps.

Good luck. I have my Phil loaded now in daily rotation.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Waterman converters are available from just about every pen shop - online or brick and mortar. Cartridges are widely available too. I used to get Waterman carts at Staples, but haven't purchased any in a long time so I don't know if they still carry them. If there is a Staples nearby and you can't wait a couple of days for your converter (or carts) to arrive by mail, stop in and have a look.

You might try an international long cartridge. Also, I think I've read an older post that suggests removing the brass filler in the barrel, and a search in the Waterman forum might dredge up the info.

You might try an international long cartridge. Also, I think I've read an older post that suggests removing the brass filler in the barrel, and a search in the Waterman forum might dredge up the info.

How do you remove that brass filler? I'd love to do that with mine.

Monterverde long cartridges fit well into my Phileas.

Yes. Yes, they are. (As I have tried to my regret!)

If your Phileas didn't come with a converter - then any converter made by Waterman will fit, and they're all a standard size.

You might try Pear Tree Pens or a few other online dealers (suggestions, anyone?) for a Waterman converter.

The Waterman carts are sold in many places. I think even isellpens has them, or Jetpens perhaps.

Good luck. I have my Phil loaded now in daily rotation.

Here are a few additional suggestions for online dealers who carry Waterman converters (no affiliation with any of them): Fahrney's pens, Pendemonium, The Writing Desk. I think only the modern Waterman converter will fit (I don't think the Waterman C/F converter would fit), but I think most places only carry the modern converter.

I've been on a quest to see if I could commit all Seven Deadly Sins in a single day. Finally, it dawned on me I shouldn't try for the One Day Wonder Prize for all seven in one day. It's simply out of any question as you can't commit decent sloth while busily ticking the other six off your crowded "to do" list. -- ViolinWriter

How do you remove that brass filler? I'd love to do that with mine.

Monterverde long cartridges fit well into my Phileas.

I have to keep putting mine back in, at least in my Black Phileas.

It keeps coming loose and rattling around.

None of the rest of mine seem to have that issue but my

black one surely does.

Current daily users: Pilot VP with Diamine Teal, Waterman Phileas M Cursive Italic with Arabian Rose, and a black Reform M CI with Copper Burst

Why make things complicated by removing brass when Waterman carts and converters fit just fine?

Why make things complicated by removing brass when Waterman carts and converters fit just fine?

I have a lot of standard cartridges with variety of inks that I would be able to use if the brass ring is removed. And I have a standard conveter that I can install, instead of looking for and buying a new one. That thing inside the barrel prevents me from doing it. I wonder if anyone actually removed it and gained the benefits of the wider inner cavity?

Rita

I have a lot of standard cartridges with variety of inks that I would be able to use if the brass ring is removed. And I have a standard conveter that I can install, instead of looking for and buying a new one. That thing inside the barrel prevents me from doing it. I wonder if anyone actually removed it and gained the benefits of the wider inner cavity?

Rita

Next time it comes loose I'll try and remember to try it.

My variety of carts isn't too large - do you think we'd

learn anything from a long international?

I'll look to see what else I have.

Current daily users: Pilot VP with Diamine Teal, Waterman Phileas M Cursive Italic with Arabian Rose, and a black Reform M CI with Copper Burst

Rita

Understood. But we're talking about a new user and collector here, and I urge him not to try anything drastic on the pen. Walk before you run, ne?

Understood. But we're talking about a new user and collector here, and I urge him not to try anything drastic on the pen. Walk before you run, ne?

Or, yes, totally agree.

Next time it comes loose I'll try and remember to try it.

My variety of carts isn't too large - do you think we'd

learn anything from a long international?

I'll look to see what else I have.

Please, let me know how it goes and if it's safe to remove it. Thank you.

I have a big selection of MB and PR short cartridges that would be cool to use in my Phileas. It's such a nice everyday writer that I can easily travel with.

Rita

Somewhere else on FPN, a person posted that he had modified his Phileas to accept two short international cartridges. I did not have mine at the time, so did not quite understand the problem, but asked him what exactly he had done to "modify" it. Here's his reply - I take no responsibility for it other than simply repeating it here, as it sounds a little iffy to me:

Greetings!

This was really pretty easy, but you can benefit from my learning, since I had to damage the first of four to learn...

1. Disassemble the pen completely (including the back "cap" and jewelry)

2. Warm the barrel only under warm water (too warm for you = too warm for your pen!)

3. Using a standard thread tap (I forget what size, you'll figure it out) you can "screw" the tap into the brass insert about 1/8 turn (it will catch inside the insert), then pull straight out (be careful not to scrape the inner threads of the barrel).

4. If at first you don't succeed, repeat #2-3 until you do... patience will pay off!

Good luck!

The Moonwalk Pen - honoring Apollo lunar landings
4-x-2-advertisement-copy-reduced-size.jp