Metallic Gold Dip Pen Ink

jbb

Please do share more detail about why you don't like the Herbin silver?

It's been a while since I had the Herbin silver (I finally threw it out in frustration :gaah:) but I found it hard to get a smooth, controlable line when writing. It would blob on me. :ph34r:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jbb

• indigirl

• professionaldilettante

• Ondina

Please do share more detail about why you don't like the Herbin silver?

It's been a while since I had the Herbin silver (I finally threw it out in frustration :gaah:) but I found it hard to get a smooth, controlable line when writing. It would blob on me. :ph34r:

Bleah, that sounds like a drag! Thank you for the clarification. I just PM'd you.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, here I am reporting back on jbb's metallic ink: It's so easy & so much fun! I just want to sit around writing with it forever! :cloud9:

Following instructions not to inhale & just add water, I put the powder in a little sauce dish & mixed it up w/ a palette knife until it looked like ink. Dipped my pen in it & went to town! To think I could have unknowingly gone down to the ink store & dropped $10+ on a bottle of basically the same stuff except not as good... this is a much better experience. :bunny01:

It is hard to photograph though. & you do have to constantly mix the silver back up. You can kinda see in "silver ink" (ironically) where I am running low on silver.

This is w/o flash:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4068/4643919188_1b434a030d_o.jpg

w/ flash, in an attempt to get more sparkle out of it:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3437/4643919186_3b4baca748_o.jpg

In real life the paper is very dark & the silver writing just *pops* out nice & shiny. It looks more like the first pic, but with sparkle :)

Thank you again jbb!!! :thumbup:

Okay, here I am reporting back on jbb's metallic ink: It's so easy & so much fun! I just want to sit around writing with it forever! :cloud9:

Following instructions not to inhale & just add water, I put the powder in a little sauce dish & mixed it up w/ a palette knife until it looked like ink. Dipped my pen in it & went to town! To think I could have unknowingly gone down to the ink store & dropped $10+ on a bottle of basically the same stuff except not as good... this is a much better experience. :bunny01:

I'm glad you're enjoying the ink indigirl. :thumbup: You have beautiful handwriting. :cloud9:

Edited by jbb

I'm glad you're enjoying the ink indigirl. :thumbup: You have beautiful handwriting. :cloud9:

Thank you! I've been working on it...

I do have a question about the little copper pot w/ the gold ink: when you poured the liquid ink in there was it full to the top? I filled it almost full w/ water, just leaving enough room for stirring, & as it softened up kept adding water drop by drop, but by the time it got to liquid stage it still seemed a little thick. It wasn't flowing in the pen as well as the silver one. Is it better to pour it out into a dish & add more water? It's kinda fun dipping the pen into the tiny pot! :)

Thank you! I've been working on it...

I do have a question about the little copper pot w/ the gold ink: when you poured the liquid ink in there was it full to the top? I filled it almost full w/ water, just leaving enough room for stirring, & as it softened up kept adding water drop by drop, but by the time it got to liquid stage it still seemed a little thick. It wasn't flowing in the pen as well as the silver one. Is it better to pour it out into a dish & add more water? It's kinda fun dipping the pen into the tiny pot! :)

You might prefer transfering the gold ink from the copper pot to something slightly bigger. Generally I use little salt dishes, nut dishes or ashtrays. (BTW, this is a fun excuse to buy some nice old glassware.) Since the metallic powder settles to the bottom quickly a shallow dish works best. I frequently cross-dip metallic ink with different colors of ink in my inkwells and in that case the little copper pot works as you are picking up a bit of metallic and then a bit of regular ink. You can get the most wonderful glittery combinations.

Note for anyone new to this post: This information is for dip pen only. Metallic powder will clog your fountain pen.

Edited by jbb

You might prefer transfering the gold ink from the copper pot to something slightly bigger. Generally I use little salt dishes, nut dishes or ashtrays. (BTW, this is a fun excuse to buy some nice old glassware.) Since the metallic powder settles to the bottom quickly a shallow dish works best. I frequently cross-dip metallic ink with different colors of ink in my inkwells and in that case the little copper pot works as you are picking up a bit of metallic and then a bit of regular ink. You can get the most wonderful glittery combinations.

Note for anyone new to this post: This information is for dip pen only. Metallic powder will clog your fountain pen.

oooh cool! Sapphire silver ink, here I come! You are a gold (silver? copper?) mine of metallic inspiration jbb! :bunny01:

Another question for my metallic ink guru jbb: where do you get your powdered gum arabic? I was at Dick Blick & they only had liquid. TIA!

Another question for my metallic ink guru jbb: where do you get your powdered gum arabic? I was at Dick Blick & they only had liquid. TIA!

Here's a good price on powdered gum Arabic:

Gum Arabic on Ebay

P.S.: I got your beautiful gold ink letter! Thanks.

Here's a good price on powdered gum Arabic:

Gum Arabic on Ebay

P.S.: I got your beautiful gold ink letter! Thanks.

Thank you for the link! Who knew it had all those other meanings & uses? Cool... :eureka:

If the color scheme of that letter seemed a little 80s, it's because the paper was on my desk from this thread & also just happens to be the only dark colored stationery I possess! Fun how all things FPN work out that way :happyberet:

Regarding gum Arabic: If you ever mix up a batch of metallic ink that smears you just need to add more gum Arabic. It also improves dip pen ink that is feathering. Powdered gum Arabic seems to take a little bit of time to fully mix into the ink -- sometimes the day after I mix it into my ink it's perfect... but not right away.

Please post about any particularly good dark papers that you find.

Does the metallic powder stay on the paper for a long time after the gum becomes dry?

Yes, as far as I know you only get smearing when there's not enough gum Arabic.

Edited by jbb

I haven't had any smearing with either the gold or silver, so jbb you mixed them perfectly! :cloud9: Do you measure the amounts w/ measuring spoons or by weight? (Hoping you say measuring spoons since I don't have that kind of scale :rolleyes: )

As for paper, I'm using these inks on big sheets of Canson Mi-Teintes Indigo Blue & like it so much that I might want to cut it up into smaller pieces for stationery go & buy some of the letter-size sheets they sell, conveniently, $10/25 sheets @ dickblick.com. Fortunately, I've never been too attached to envelopes matching what's inside them, so that part's not a problem for me....

Edited to add: I found gum arabic powder at my local herb store. & I'm going to try mixing up some ink w/ interference blue powder! Hope it turns out...

Edited by indigirl

I haven't had any smearing with either the gold or silver, so jbb you mixed them perfectly! :cloud9: Do you measure the amounts w/ measuring spoons or by weight? (Hoping you say measuring spoons since I don't have that kind of scale :rolleyes: )

As for paper, I'm using these inks on big sheets of Canson Mi-Teintes Indigo Blue & like it so much that I might want to cut it up into smaller pieces for stationery go & buy some of the letter-size sheets they sell, conveniently, $10/25 sheets @ dickblick.com. Fortunately, I've never been too attached to envelopes matching what's inside them, so that part's not a problem for me....

Edited to add: I found gum arabic powder at my local herb store. & I'm going to try mixing up some ink w/ interference blue powder! Hope it turns out...

I use demi-tasse spoons and little salt cellar spoons. I've got some interference blue and interference green but I haven't used them in a while. One of the coolest of all the metallic powders I've tried is LuminArte Scarab Beetle. It shifts from red to green metallic depending on the light.

jbb turned me onto metallic dip pen inks, too. They are gorgeous, especially with her handwriting. A word about gum arabic. I bought some of the liquid, used a very small amount, and within a couple of weeks, the bottle was growing mold. So the powdered gum arabic is the way to go.

Kudzu

"I am a galley slave to pen and ink." ~Honore de Balzac

Happy Pan Pacific Pen Club Member!

• 3 weeks later...

jbb turned me onto metallic dip pen inks, too. They are gorgeous, especially with her handwriting. A word about gum arabic. I bought some of the liquid, used a very small amount, and within a couple of weeks, the bottle was growing mold. So the powdered gum arabic is the way to go.

Powdered gum Arabic is so much less expensive too.