Metallic Gold Dip Pen Ink

jbb

I frequently write with metallic dip pen inks that I make myself out of fine metallic powder, gum Arabic and water. Recently my husband bought a batch of small copper plumbing caps which ended up too large for his project so I inherited them. I've been playing around with using them as tiny ink pots -- which I think are simply the cutest things. So far, they seem stable and don't tip over.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4025/4406492518_6707b2ef11_o.jpg

Edited by jbb

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jbb

• indigirl

• professionaldilettante

• Ondina

Many thanks for sharing the idea, jbb, they are neat. The ink looks lovely. Would you mind sharing what kind of metallic powder and in which proportion with gum Arabic do you use?

Many thanks for sharing the idea, jbb, they are neat. The ink looks lovely. Would you mind sharing what kind of metallic powder and in which proportion with gum Arabic do you use?

Fine metallic powders are cheap ($3 - $6) at any craft store -- LuminArte and Pearl Ex seem to be common brands. I mix powdered gum Arabic at a ratio of approximately four or five parts metallic powder to one part gum Arabic. If your ink still smears after drying just add more gum Arabic.

I had trouble getting a good photo but light colored metallics work very nicely on dark paper.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4007/4405779223_bab4f7ec2c_o.jpg

What is the cheapest way to mail a little ink pot like this? If I put it in an evelope it weighs less than an ounce but it's not flat.

I would think that someone running down to the hardware shop would be much more cost effective than sending something like this, especially if it's something needed to build houses with. Probably around 5 bucks, plus or minus a dollar.

The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.

Blaise Pascal

fpn_1336709688__pen_01.jpg

Tell me about any of your new pens and help with fountain pen quality control research!

What is the cheapest way to mail a little ink pot like this? If I put it in an evelope it weighs less than an ounce but it's not flat.

I would think that someone running down to the hardware shop would be much more cost effective than sending something like this, especially if it's something needed to build houses with. Probably around 5 bucks, plus or minus a dollar.

I meant mailing it WITH the gold ink in it - to a fellow dip pen user. [bTW, the ink dries like a watercolor cake and you add water to use it, so it won't be wet when you mail it.]

Edited by jbb

Padded envelope. You'll need to pay the surcharge postage for a "non-standard" item, but it's less than another ounce would be in a "standard" envelope. Add in the cost of the padded envelope itself, and it'll still be less than two dollars to ship.

Does not always write loving messages.

Does not always foot up columns correctly.

Does not always sign big checks.

Padded envelope. You'll need to pay the surcharge postage for a "non-standard" item, but it's less than another ounce would be in a "standard" envelope. Add in the cost of the padded envelope itself, and it'll still be less than two dollars to ship.

Thanks!

Thanks!

Yep, thats the way. I doubt that it would need much more, being solid copper. Sorry didn't know what you were referring too. Might want to put a little tape/seran wrap over the ink, so that the dried cake don't fall out and get lost/smashed.

The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.

Blaise Pascal

fpn_1336709688__pen_01.jpg

Tell me about any of your new pens and help with fountain pen quality control research!

Yep, thats the way. I doubt that it would need much more, being solid copper. Sorry didn't know what you were referring too. Might want to put a little tape/seran wrap over the ink, so that the dried cake don't fall out and get lost/smashed.

Yes, good idea about saran wrap. On some over-optimistic level I was hoping I could just slap an extra first class stamp onto a regular envelope and mail it that way -- but I think a padded envelope is best. (Hmmm, I believe there will be some gold writing in the handwriting sample I sent you yesterday. :blush: )

Or tape the cap, open end down, onto a piece of cardboard. Depending on how roughly it's handled in transit, I could imagine the edge of a pipe cap punching through an envelope (even a padded one).

-- Brian

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

Or tape the cap, open end down, onto a piece of cardboard. Depending on how roughly it's handled in transit, I could imagine the edge of a pipe cap punching through an envelope (even a padded one).

-- Brian

I've got some bubble wrap I can wrap it in too but tapping the open end onto cardboard to create a seal is a good idea. Thanks.

In general, you need to use a small, shallow container for this ink because the metallic powder falls out of solution very quickly. You don't need an ink pot quite as tiny as this but a salt cellar or small ashtray will work. Once you've made the gum Arabic/metallic powder/water mixture you'd add extra water to keep the ink in an ink-like consitency.

In general, you need to use a small, shallow container for this ink because the metallic powder falls out of solution very quickly. You don't need an ink pot quite as tiny as this but a salt cellar or small ashtray will work. Once you've made the gum Arabic/metallic powder/water mixture you'd add extra water to keep the ink in an ink-like consitency.

The copper plumbing pot looks like it's the perfect ink pot for your metallic ink. It looks so cute in the photo. :thumbup:

I keep coming back to my Esterbrooks.

"Things will be great when you're downtown."---Petula Clark

"I'll never fall in love again."---Dionne Warwick

"Why, oh tell me, why do people break up, oh then turn around and make up?

I just came to see, you'd never do that to me, would you baby?"---Tina Turner

The copper plumbing pot looks like it's the perfect ink pot for your metallic ink. It looks so cute in the photo. :thumbup:

They are indeed THAT cute in person.

-- Brian

Um... what if you put 2 copper thingies like this one, open end to open end (mouth to mouth?) and use some tape to join them? No loose ink pastilles, no copper caps cutting thru the envelope, etc.

Aristarco Palacios

Visit My Website to see pics of my humble works on binding

-- Brian

Um... what if you put 2 copper thingies like this one, open end to open end (mouth to mouth?) and use some tape to join them? No loose ink pastilles, no copper caps cutting thru the envelope, etc.

Then I could mail gold ink and silver ink. :eureka:

• 2 months later...

Who are you mailing them to? Are you selling this stuff now? I might want some... :)

Who are you mailing them to? Are you selling this stuff now? I might want some... :)

A few were mailed to my pen pals. I've got some little copper pots of ink left so if you want one PM me and we'll work something out. I saw your request for a review of Herbin silver ink and I have to say that I am not a fan of it. A mixture of metallic powder, gum Arabic and water is easier to write with in my opinion.

A few were mailed to my pen pals. I've got some little copper pots of ink left so if you want one PM me and we'll work something out. I saw your request for a review of Herbin silver ink and I have to say that I am not a fan of it. A mixture of metallic powder, gum Arabic and water is easier to write with in my opinion.

Please do share more detail about why you don't like the Herbin silver?