Will the Toyota crisis affect the sales of Japanese fountain pens ?

Patrick L

Will the Toyota crisis affect the sales of Japanese fountain pens ? Given the huge media hype surrounding the Toyota crisis , it might have a negative effect , albeit for a relatively short time, on the sales of Japanese fountain pens.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pippin60

• vans4444

• Patrick L

• Kamiyashi

There is a big difference between an electronic gas pedal and the way the good people at Sailor make pen for example. I saw the Sailor factory with my own eyes, I wish I could show you pictures, but the fountain pen making is almost all done by hand. Sailor has a robotic division, but I did not see a single robot where they make FP.

Japan is still a land where you can buy a knife made by the grand grand son of a sword maker.

People are conscious that Toyota is in big trouble, one of my co-worker just bowed in front of me after I told him my mom had problems with her car in Canada. This is almost a shame on a national level. Japan just lost face, I can promise you they will fix it.

Visit my food blog

Foodie Topography

At most it might make them more conscious of quality control, but given how superb they are with that to start with, I would seriously doubt Toyota's troubles would carry over to the fountain pen market.

Visconti: Aida 0/1871, Amigdala, Black Ripple 4/199, Black Storm 8/88, Blue Ripple 870/999, Blue Symphony 88/208, Carbon Dream 4/993, Chatterley Ripple^3 4/25, Custom Ripple 4/4, D'Essai, Gulliver, Homo Sapien, Metropolis 64/288, Millennium Arc 2/1000, Opera Aqua, Opera Demo 547/888, Opera Nordic^2, Opera Water^2, Pericle^2, Ponte Vecchio^2, Ragtime, Ragtime 1174/1988, Replica, VG Custom^8, VG Demo^2, VG Green^2, VG Red, VG Vanilla^3, Versailles 317/365, Viscontina 39/188, Voyager^2

Will the Toyota crisis affect the sales of Japanese fountain pens ? Given the huge media hype surrounding the Toyota crisis , it might have a negative effect , albeit for a relatively short time, on the sales of Japanese fountain pens.

No chance, I will keep buying Japanese pens, just bought two more today.

Regards,

hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Not unless it starts writing uncontrollably on its own. Wait, that would be a GOOD THING!

No. Pens and cars are apples and oranges. I also think anyone who has the mind and desire to use a fountain pen is far too intelligent to confuse a Pilot with a Prius.

[color=#444444][size=2][left]In this age of text, twitter, skype and email, receiving a good old-fashioned hand-written letter feels just like a warm hug.[/left][/size][/color][img]http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png[/img]

Interesting question. I think it might have as much an effect on all things of Japanese manufacture as the "good" reputation of Toyota had. I can only think that the Japanese consider these Toyota problems a national embarrassment.

Doug

I highly doubt it. A faulty fountain pen can't put your life and limb in danger - I suspect that at most, even if the Toyota issues are imputed by some people to the entire Japanese manufacturing world, the caution will carry over only into those areas which could pose true risks (cars, electronics, etc.)

I have one of the Toyotas in the recall programme, and except for the sticky accelerator and the doggy breaks it is a great car. I would certainly buy another one.

So no, I will still buy Japanese pens.

I wonder if there has ever been the equivalent of a recall programme for pens?

There is a big difference between an electronic gas pedal and the way the good people at Sailor make pen for example. I saw the Sailor factory with my own eyes, I wish I could show you pictures, but the fountain pen making is almost all done by hand. Sailor has a robotic division, but I did not see a single robot where they make FP.

Japan is still a land where you can buy a knife made by the grand grand son of a sword maker.

People are conscious that Toyota is in big trouble, one of my co-worker just bowed in front of me after I told him my mom had problems with her car in Canada. This is almost a shame on a national level. Japan just lost face, I can promise you they will fix it.

I'm entangled somewhat with Toyota -- as in: I interact with some parts of the company professionally and have close friends at various places in the company -- although I do not work for or depend on Toyota in any way.

My observation is that, at least, the people with whom I interact from Toyota take it *extremely* personally, and are very affected/ashamed of the problems that some of their cars have had -- almost to the point where it is uncomfortable. It doesn't make it any better that they know that I drive a Toyota, as it appears that all I encounter feel the need to apologize personally to me (and my car hasn't even had problems....)

That said, I've had a lot less problems with my Toyota's than with any other cars -- orders of magnitude less. I actually have confidence in both the company and the network of authorized mechanics. And yes, I recently bought a new car.....of course, another Toyota...recently, as in "a few weeks ago", in the midst of when the "issue" was at its highest. I bought it with perfect peace of mind and full confidence.

All makers of complex system risk the same (class of) difficulties. That it was Toyota this time is coincidental -- shortly before, it was Renault, and next it'll be somebody else who experiences something like this. Here's just to hoping that each such situation enables learning and prevention of the same issue(s) in the future. And for that, I have more confidence in a Japanese company, than in companies from most other countries.

So, would I buy another Japanese FP? Absolutely, I would,

Will the Toyota difficulties affect the sale of Japanese FPs, or pens in general? No. On FPN, I believe that folks here are smart enough to recognize quality in a product, regardless of origin.

Outside of FPN, I doubt that many Japanese pens (FP or otherwise) are known, other than the brand "Pilot" -- and I also doubt that many random pen-buyers would know that Pilot is Japanese. I've never seen "Sailor" around here, and the more "fancy" Japanese brands probably do appeal more to FPNers and their like -- which I think are smart enough to know that car != pen.

One final remark: generalizations are a bad idea. Toyota makes cars, and has an issue which they are trying to resolve. How that can generalize to infer that another entirely unrelated product made by an entirely unrelated company would also have issues, is entirely beyond me.

Or, should I stop buying American products entirely, based on the fact that the Chevy I had back in the 80'es developed a premature wear-issues? Surely not ;)

Edited by voop

i certainly feel that the whole toyota affair has a tinge of xenophobia thrown in. for years the american automotive industry has been in decline, a whiff of trouble with the japanese manufacturers and the knives are out...

I heard the speech of the president of Toyota after the public hearing of Congress.

He said" I was not alone in the hearing. I am together with America, American people."

I will also trust in American people.

rokurinpapa

I've totally given up on sushi and sake

One never knows any more.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club

Don't buy Japanese pens, in fact, you should all dump Japanese pens..... to me! I will now take these faulty pens off your hand for 10 cents on the dollar. Offer only good for 24hrs, so hurry!!!

Joking aside, I don't see this Toyota thing effecting pens

Kevin

To Cross The Rubicon

Internet Pens

I'll give +1 cent to the highest bidder up to 20 cents for a dollar ;)

The thought or the question never even occurred to me. As far as i am concerned, japanese economy should invest massively in fountain pens, to enhance confidence in japanese products (which are already top notch in my view).

Commit to be fit

ClaudeP.com

Frankly, I wish you all would send those "dangerous" Toyotas to me. At the moment I am only interested in low mileage Avalons and V6 Camrys.

I am a risk taker....

YMMV