Do you really use your Fountain Pens ?

lovemyparker

Hi,

I probably have about 5/6 pens (out of over 100) that I haven't got round to using yet, but I have no pens that are out of bounds these are aminly mainly 'duplicates' so I already have one that I am using.

Andy

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• skybird

• pajaro

• Mille

• BKH

My simple rules:

1: Is this pen a Fountain Pen?

2: Is it in functional shape?

3: Does it have ink in it?

If I own the pen, and it meets the first two... I'll add ink to make it "Yes" to all three. Then I'll write with it.

Probably the reason I don't purchase stickered, vintage NOS Boxed pens...

All of my pens, from the Hero 100 to the most expensive pens I own, are users.

Of course I use them - like many others on this thread, I wouldn't own it if I didn't use it. Some get used more than others, of course, but my most frequently used pens are mostly my most expensive ones. I started off being a bit concerned about taking them out of the house, but then I realised that life's too short for that. Why use my lesser pens and not my favourite ones?

Ballpoints hurt my wrist way too much for me to use them: if I can't use a fountain pen for whatever reason, I'll use a Pilot G2 or V5. I strongly prefer fountain pens, though.

<font size="1">Inked: Pelikan 400nn, Pilot VP, Pelikan M400, Pelikan M200, Pelikan 400, Pelikan M101n, Esterbrook SJ<br> | <a href=http://www.flickr.com/photos/27410410@N05/>Flickr</a> <br></font>

I feel almost compeled to use at least 1 of my 3 piston filled mont blanc's every day. And do!!! I dont like the ink to sit more than 24 hours not being used. Anal like that

I have used all but one of my collection (about 40 pens), and that one I will use at some point but haven't got around to it yet - it's mint, stickered and boxed and I'm waiting for the right moment. Not a particularly unusual or rare item, just unique in my collection.

I don't use them as much at the moment because I recently changed from working in an office in London, to working at home. There just aren't as many meetings in Weston-super-Mare! :) Having said which, my '51' vac regularly goes shopping with me and is used to cross the items off the shopping list, and when making manual notes or marking up documents I always use a FP. I actually find it uncomfortable to write with a ballpoint these days and try to avoid them wherever possible.

I purchase fountain pens for only three reasons...

1. My personal use. These are the pens I use. Not every day, they go through a rotation. Today there is a 1948 Parker 51 Vac with a xf nib and an Aurora 98 Magica with a F nib on the desk.

2. For my Daughter's use. My daughter is 11 yrs old and loves to use a fountain pen. She owns 30 pens and all are users. Some she draws with, some are for homework and school work.

3. Pens I purchase to restore for my pen show inventory. Some of these pens end up replacing a pen in my personal collection.

So I guess the answer to your question is YES, I use my pens... all the time... I never leave home without 2-3 pens in my pocket.

I use fountain pens every day. It's the only thing that makes my writing legible. I only write with vintage Parker, although I have a couple of modern Duofolds that I keep for travel because they handle the air travel better. Right now I have a Jack Knife Safety 26 and a Duofold Special in my pocket.

At the moment I don't have many fountain pens and they are all Vacumatics (except 1 Duofold) and I use all the ones that work. I have found that if I use an FP my writing speed slows down and my writing gets much neater.I do like the tactile feel of my vac's. :rolleyes:

Yes, I use them every day. Today I have a grey 61 Classic and a Navy Grey 51 aerometric with me, grading student tests and essays.

Whenever I get a new (old) pen, I'll do what needs to be done to get it working again, and then run at least two fillings of ink through it. I enjoy getting to know the "feel" of the pen this way, and it also gives me a chance to make sure that everything works as it should. Then I'll rinse it out and let it dry before storing it until its next use. This way, I know that any pen in my collection works, and works well.

Use, when appropriate. (I realize we no longer live in a fp world and everything is designed to work sufficiently with a bp)

Have several inked on the desk at hand.

Always carry a Pelikan Future (the world's most perfect pen) in my pocket next to the bp & mp.

YMMV

I use all of them, and exclusively write with FPs. It's not a snobbery thing I just prefer how they write. The only sitation I used to find them a hindrance was note taking, when the nib would dry out after a spell of not writing. Since I got my frontier, even that's fine. I don't know how it does it, but I could pretty much throw the cap away and it would still start every time!

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

A good rule you have and I hope more can understand this simple rule. I have some friends that collect watch Esp "Lorex" they are so fearful to wear it cos wear of watch will lost the watch value if they will to sell????? :headsmack: I think some pen collected react this ways too. :thumbup:

For me collecting is for fun while at work I can't use a fountain pen at all. :crybaby:

So never ask me to review a fountain pen.........

My rule is ... if I can afford to lose it .... I use it thumbup.gif

"Lorex"..................do you mean "Rolex"? :hmm1:

John

Perhaps a collector or precious Prosches, Mint Blanks, Ra Bans, Steingate, Bong & Olofson, and - yes - Lorex?

The pen is mighter than the sword. Support Wikileaks!

I use my fountain pens every single day. Old or new, expensive or cheap, they all get used. You spent the money, you may as well use it. Do you buy a Mercedes Benz that you don't drive?

I do drive my Mercedes Benz everyday and use my fountain pens every single day even over the weekend I try to find the reason to write with them.. :rolleyes: :bunny01: I just love writing with them.

---------------------

A.S.Mann

I'd have a hard time using all of my pens.

Many are unused and lots are in their boxes.

I'd hate to use a Pregnant or a #45 or #15 or even attempt to try a RHR #16 ;-)

My modern Dous are all MIB and I'm looking for banded models now.

Users are my Big Red 28, Kullock vacu demo, '46 grey 51, and my trusty Burgundy 61.

Also use a no name Jasper Red given to me by Rita Carbon and have an old black spare 51 aero.

That's enough to go on.

My mate in the office has bought plenty of the new Duo range and uses them all except his Rockwell.

Sic Transit Gloria

"Gloria gets seasick"

I use mine every day. Parker Duofold, Aurora Optima. Plus I have an antique desk pen I just got back from Richard Binder. It's the most fun of all of them.

Some are not as much fun as others (Waterman, Mont Blanc, Stipula) but I switch off and use them anyway, working them into the rotation.

But if somebody else wants to just collect them and look at them every now and then, that's okay by me.

One thought I would offer is this: Don't worry about something happening. If you don't loan your pen out (without keeping the cap) and you have a place to carry or keep it, it'll be fine. Almost anything that would normally happen (like dropping it on its nib) can be fixed. So relax about it and use them.

Bill in W. Palm Beach

Edited by Bill Broome

I use mine every day. Parker Duofold, Aurora Optima. Plus I have an antique desk pen I just got back from Richard Binder. It's the most fun of all of them.

Some are not as much fun as others (Waterman, Mont Blanc, Stipula) but I switch off and use them anyway, working them into the rotation.

But if somebody else wants to just collect them and look at them every now and then, that's okay by me.

One thought I would offer is this: Don't worry about something happening. If you don't loan your pen out (without keeping the cap) and you have a place to carry or keep it, it'll be fine. Almost anything that would normally happen (like dropping it on its nib) can be fixed. So relax about it and use them.

Bill in W. Palm Beach

As a collector of Parkers and eyedroppers going back close to 20 years, there are cabinets and drawers full - couldn't get to use them all even if I wanted to ;-)

Some are not so good and I wouldn't want to use them like smaller Duos etc. Stuff that is rare and beautiful I also wouldn't want to use.

I would love to bring an LPS Bumblebee out at a meeting - would cause a few comments, but as one of 83 around - no way. maybe if I had 2 ;-)

Sic Transit Gloria

"Gloria gets seasick"

I use all of my pens. Which pen I use for any given task is always a practical one. I'll use any of my pens, as long as it's suitable for the task. If I must use paper that's not FP friendly, I'll use a BP or RB loaded with a gel refill. Otherwise, I'll use a FP. Unfortunately, in the course of a business day, I rarely have control over the paper to be used.

Regards,

Ray