Montblanc 144 1980s Converter

pajaro

I have 2 1983 vintage MB red 144s and one good converter. I bought one of their current manufacture converters, but it doesn't fit: section won't screw in all the way, and the converter doesn't make a good fit into the section anyway.

I am wondering if there is a source for the older converters, or something else that will work, other than cartridges. I would really hate the thought of making a Frankenblanc out of one of these pens, though, by using different makers' parts.

I thought about milling down the new converter. Then it'll just be a Shadetreeblanc, but I hate making a jalopy solution for a Cadillac pen, if you understand what I mean. The poor stationer who sold me the pen will probably roll over in his grave. He was upset enough when the clip on my oldest pen turned a silver color.

Solutions?

Thanks.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• hcsk8ter

• jar

• Kalessin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have 2 1983 vintage MB red 144s and one good converter. I bought one of their current manufacture converters, but it doesn't fit: section won't screw in all the way, and the converter doesn't make a good fit into the section anyway.

I am wondering if there is a source for the older converters, or something else that will work, other than cartridges. I would really hate the thought of making a Frankenblanc out of one of these pens, though, by using different makers' parts.

I thought about milling down the new converter. Then it'll just be a Shadetreeblanc, but I hate making a jalopy solution for a Cadillac pen, if you understand what I mean. The poor stationer who sold me the pen will probably roll over in his grave. He was upset enough when the clip on my oldest pen turned a silver color.

Solutions?

Thanks.

Yes. Just use any international size converter.

My Website

Pelikan and Waterman converters are Standard International size, and will fit just fine.

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

Thank you for the replies. I have ordered Pelikan, Waterman and another that appear to have the right shape to fit the section, and one of them will probably be the right length to allow the section to screw into the barrel fully.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

I had the same issue sometime ago. The barrel length on what is most similar to the 144 now, the Chopin (145)is longer, hence the piston converter sold is also longer. Why the did this I don't know, the increased ink capacity would be minimal, if any at all.

I looked at the pelikan converter:

Pelikan Converter

The pelikan seems to be a force fit (verification on this?), whereas the Montblanc converter is threaded. It is also made for your pen.

What you should do is get the MB converter, and trim it down, I recommend a dremel with a medium git attachment at a low setting and sand the piston knob a little at a time, until you have sufficient clearance in the barrel. If you can't do that take a piece of 400 grit sandpaper, lay it on a tabel and slowly run the piston knob evenly across it.

Threaded converters are always better than a force fit.

By the way, this doesn't make your MB a frankenpen, its a converter! No one know or cares what's inside it. It in no way detracts from the value of your pen. They're $10 and easily replaceable. It's not like your taking the dremel to your pen.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I had the same issue sometime ago. The barrel length on what is most similar to the 144 now, the Chopin (145)is longer, hence the piston converter sold is also longer. Why the did this I don't know, the increased ink capacity would be minimal, if any at all.

Pelikan Converter

The pelikan seems to be a force fit (verification on this?), whereas the Montblanc converter is threaded. It is also made for your pen.

What you should do is get the MB converter, and trim it down, I recommend a dremel with a medium git attachment at a low setting and sand the piston knob a little at a time, until you have sufficient clearance in the barrel. If you can't do that take a piece of 400 grit sandpaper, lay it on a tabel and slowly run the piston knob evenly across it.

By the way, this doesn't make your MB a frankenpen, its a converter! No one know or cares what's inside it. It in no way detracts from the value of your pen. They're $10 and easily replaceable. It's not like your taking the dremel to your pen.

The 144 was a push fit converter not threaded anyway.

My Website

Pelikan Converter

I don't have it in front of me but I believe mine is threaded, will get back to you on this.

I don't have it in front of me but I believe mine is threaded, will get back to you on this.

I have mine here (early one) and it is push fit. Later ones may well be threaded but the OP mentioned an 80s pen.

My Website

Thank you for the replies. I have ordered Pelikan, Waterman and another that appear to have the right shape to fit the section, and one of them will probably be the right length to allow the section to screw into the barrel fully.

I asked the same question last week about my 1990 MB 144. After you have received your converters, please report back your results!

Thank you all! You put a lot of thought and time into your replies, and I am very grateful. I started to use my Dremel on the new model MB converter. In the interim, I just won an EBay auction for an old converter, the model I need, plus a bunch of old MB cartridges and ink. So, that unexpected turn of events seems to solve my problem. I'll continue to try to fashion a useful solution out of the current model converter--well I've already started remaking it.

I will try the Pelican and Waterman converters--Swisher Pens says it'll be a few weeks. Let you know if they work. I have two 144 pens and have had a converter fail to suck up ink after a few years of use.

Thanks again for all your effort.

• 3 weeks later...

To reiterate the issue, if you have an '80s-'90s Montblanc 144 that has a section with metal threads to thread into the barrel, the converter that Montblanc sells now will work on your pen. The section with the black plastic threads will not work with the current model of Montblanc converter, and this is the issue I have had.

Today I received the three converters, a Waterman, a Pelikan and a Bexley. The Waterman and the Pelikan fit, the Bexley seemed to just not quite go in, and the section wouldn't thread into the barrel all the way without forcing it -- there was a miniscule gap. I didn't force the issue on the Bexley converter--didn't want to break the barrel. I think I could Dremel off a small amount of material from the back of the handle to get a fit. So, I have 2 good spares, the Waterman and the Pelikan.

I have noticed that you can sometimes find one of the older model Montblanc converters for the '80s 144s on EBay, sometimes in lots with other stuff. I bought one that was bundled with some ink, and have sold the ink.

Thanks for the useful information, which is exactly what I am looking for. The section of my '80s-'90s MB 144 has metal threads. I will use a Pelikan or Waterman converter in it.

Actually, if your MB has metal threads, you can use the current Montblanc converter. I have a broken MB 144 (collar near nib broke off) that has metal threads, and the current MB converter with the tinted plastic fits in this 144 that I bought in 1990. This pen is now at the Montblanc service center for a repair estimate (it's been broken for ten years, why rush into things).

It was the other two 144s I have that work, and that have the black plastic threads, that couldn't use the newer converter.

Again, the 144s that have the metal threads (they look brassy colored) can use the newer converter that Montblanc sells now.

A photo of the various OEM Montblanc converters from old to new, side-by-side, would be cool! I'll have a look around.

Fred

Pelikan and Waterman converters are Standard International size, and will fit just fine.

Good tip. I love my 144.

That's a great idea Fred.

A photo of the various OEM Montblanc converters from old to new, side-by-side, would be cool! I'll have a look around.

Fred

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

My converter selection won't be much help for comparison. I have three, which are identical.

From top to bottom:

144R - 1990s

144 - 1990s

144 size sterling guilloche - purchased new 2009

All are threaded, and when twisted, they firm up against the section to form a tight seal.

Fred

I used the Waterman converter I bought in one of my 144s. I thought it worked great until I noticed a rattle in the barrel. The converter had come loose and flooded the barrel with ink. The pen didn't leak, though. This converter had come off of the nozzle in the section that feeds the ink. I found that the hole in the gasket inside the Waterman and Pelikan converters that I had bought didn't seem to hold on to the ink nozzle in the section. So, I got out the new Montblanc converter I had stumbled upon on EBay, and that does work.

I had originally wanted to find a source for the old Montblanc converter from the 1980s, and I suppose that scouring EBay might be the answer when your old converter searts to leak. It seems that each manufacturer puts a gasket in their converter that's designed to make a seal with and hold on to the nozzle in their own pen's section.

The picture of converters in the previous post are of the current converter type. The older converter has a clear transparent tube, where those new converters have a tinted tube. The old converter works with 144s with either black plastic threads or metal threads on the section, where the new converter appears to work only with the sections that have metal threads, because the design changed slightly.

I hope this helps someone somewhere.

My old MB converter from the late 70s that came with my Slimline is identical to Pelikan and Waterman converters of the same vintage...

From what I've seen, converters typically have only plastic at the end that goes over the sharp nozzle on the pen section.

Edited by Kalessin

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)