Aurora Blue

PinarelloOnly

Review written twice with 2 different pens. A med. and a x-fine.

Aurora Talentum <xf>

http://fototime.com/%7BD4841961-3DE2-4B9D-9B15-FA4943453853%7D/picture.JPG

Aurora Talentum <xf>

http://fototime.com/%7B371CCB54-D7B9-4B52-AC19-1D5734E5C210%7D/picture.JPG

Visconti <m>

http://fototime.com/%7B0F39DAF9-1DE2-44D0-8BF4-BBA268DFD56D%7D/picture.JPG

Visconti <m>

http://fototime.com/%7B5145E6ED-27BA-4D7E-9231-064A5ED35738%7D/picture.JPG

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NG-Huy

• diplomat

• techman

• *david*

Excellent review. I agree with you. Good stuff. You've got some nice shading going on there too.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Very nice! Thanks.

Ron

Ron

Favorite Pens: Parker "51"Lamy 2000; Bexley America the Beautiful; Pilot Custom 823, 912 and 74; Sheaffer Early Touchdown; Parker Vacumatic; Sheaffer Legacy

Excellent review and examples. Still my favorite blue of the dozen(s?) I've tried. I particularly like the look with the X-fine point.

This might be a good place to mention that pencity.com has Aurora inks at the low price of $7.00, plus a general 15% off sale through August 18. That makes for a great price on these inks, I've paid over $12 a bottle locally. I'm just a satisfied customer of Pencity.

Edited by BobR

Neat! I was currently looking for a good flow ink, Montblanc blue-black was good enough but only in my music pens, in medium like my Aurora Sole, it tends to dry faster than expected. Do you think Aurora black ink would have same properties as blue ink (as I only write in black in work)?

Aurora Black is even better in its flow than Aurora Blue, IMO.

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value.--Thomas Paine, "The American Crisis", 1776

yup, Aurora Black has excellent flow. I was using Noodler's WP in my Osmiroid calligraphy pen and it was just too dry. Switched to Aurora - perfect. Those nibs are well known for being stingy but it was just too darn dry before the Aurora. I used to use the blue a lot. Great ink.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Neat! I was currently looking for a good flow ink, Montblanc blue-black was good enough but only in my music pens, in medium like my Aurora Sole, it tends to dry faster than expected. Do you think Aurora black ink would have same properties as blue ink (as I only write in black in work)?

The flow of MB blue-black is very very slow. Almost any ink will flow more than that. Aurora black would be a big change.

Aurora Blue is my default dark blue. It's fantastically rich and I've found the flow to be pretty good. However, there seems to be a lot of pigment in it and if I leave a pen for a week or so, I find my writing takes forever to dry - rather like many Noodler's and PR inks. It seems to be the price you pay for such saturated ink colours. Looks fabulous when you first ink your pen though!

Thank you for your answers! I'll make an order of 1-2 bottles Aurora Black ink as soon as possible, either on pencity or on worldlux with Montblanc love ink (but it'd be only for collection purpose, so no really needed).

• 1 year later...

I agree!!! So far this is my favorite Blue color ink. I have been using it in my MontBlanc, Visconti, and Waterman FPs. No complain. Nice bold blue color. As far as drying rate, it's fine with me.

Chuck "The Pen Doctor" at Fahrney's says that Aurora Blue is his favorite ink -- both in terms of color and performance.

CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

• 7 months later...

I've purchased a bottle of Aurora Blue this saturday, and now is in my Talentum Medium nib. I agree with the review, the color and the flow is excellent! Imho is not that fast as I was expecting. Some guy was recommending Aurora Black for its fast-flow, and I wanted to try it in my slow flowing nibs (like an Optima Bold). Unfortunately the seller only had blue, and I was so set on purchasing an ink that I bought it even though I wasn't up for a blue.

Now I am happy! What a blue.

Excellent review and writing samples.

Ciao,

<font face="Verdana"><b><font color="#2f4f4f">d</font></b><font color="#4b0082">iplo</font></font><br /><br /><a href='http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showuser=6228' class='bbc_url' title=''><font face="Trebuchet MS"><br /><font size="4"><b><font color="#8b0000"><font color="#696969">Go</font> <font color="#006400">To</font> <font color="#a0522d">My</font> <font color="#4b0082">FPN</font> Profile!</font></b></font></font><br /></a>

• 1 month later...

Does this ink suffer from nib creep? I just purchased some and in my new lamy safari with a medium nib I have severe nib creep. Otherwise it is a great color.

Does this ink suffer from nib creep? I just purchased some and in my new lamy safari with a medium nib I have severe nib creep. Otherwise it is a great color.

I read it in your review and I was surprised. Mine didn't have this problem and I tested it so far in 4 different pens. You are mentioning the Safari is new, my suspects are going in that direction.... :)

Try to test the ink in a different pen.

Ciao,

<font face="Verdana"><b><font color="#2f4f4f">d</font></b><font color="#4b0082">iplo</font></font><br /><br /><a href='http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showuser=6228' class='bbc_url' title=''><font face="Trebuchet MS"><br /><font size="4"><b><font color="#8b0000"><font color="#696969">Go</font> <font color="#006400">To</font> <font color="#a0522d">My</font> <font color="#4b0082">FPN</font> Profile!</font></b></font></font><br /></a>

I have severe nib creep.

I heard that a couple coats regular car wax on tip surface can prevent creeping.

Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right

to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers,

and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie. Revelation 22:14-15