Pilot M90 Fan Club~!

professionaldilettante

furple:

Well, I have a 1970s Myu that is inked and used, several more that are uninked, including 2 stripies. And I got myself 2 M90s when they first hit the Japanese market and they are still uninked. And then there are the black Myus , and the white Muys, and the Murexes, and ... well, I really do not need to go on and on. I'm not into display, and think I will get around to using them...someday. Just not right now.

So, you ain't alone.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• furple

• professionaldilettante

• maus930

• Yuki Onitsura

Hope I'm not too late to join the club. Actually got my M90 Fine nib in June of 2009. However, I just stumbled across the fan club today, and I could use some advice.

Y'see, I loved the M90 as soon as I saw it, surfed the web until I found one at World Lux, checked my finances and finally bought it. It arrived looking even better than in the photos. It felt great in my hand and, even dry, the nib slid smoothly across paper. I could tell it would be a great writer.

And I'm sure it would be, if I ever filled it. I know I'm a heretic, but I just can't bring myself to mar its pristine beauty by actually using the damned thing! I should have bought two; one for writing and one just to look at! And this isn't even the first pen I've done this with! I only take out my Imperial Vacumatic to wipe it with a soft cloth. I'm sick, I know...

How sick? Well, now I'm thinking of buying a 1970's MYU on eBay, which appears NOS. Owned but not used -- that sort of thing.

So here's the advice part: If you had an MYU and an M90 (as I know some of you do) and wanted to keep one mint, which would you fill and which would you just display. Come to that, is it really worth keeping either unused? I'm not really concerned with re-sale. I just like to say, "And that one is in mint condition." Told you I'm sick. Help me!

Well, I know how you feel. I had the M90 for a few weeks before I actually inked it. It is a great, great writer, but I'm hesitant to use it because the stainless steel finish is prone to scratching. Since the MYU 701 pens are more common, I'd be inclined to get a MYU 701 to use and keep the M90 pristine.

Who am I kidding? I'd ink and use both. :roflmho:

Edited by jgrasty

furple:

Well, I have a 1970s Myu that is inked and used, several more that are uninked, including 2 stripies. And I got myself 2 M90s when they first hit the Japanese market and they are still uninked. And then there are the black Myus , and the white Muys, and the Murexes, and ... well, I really do not need to go on and on. I'm not into display, and think I will get around to using them...someday. Just not right now.

So, you ain't alone.

Gracious! You are clearly a Pilot fan! I am, too, ever since my first vanishing point (recently lost -- *sniff* -- waiting for my new Decimo to arrive). But, oh, that M90 is sweet! If I had as many as you, that baby would be a regular, if not daily, writer! I envy you the stripies! Whenever I see one, I simply can't afford it. One day...

A proud member of the

fpn_1302698674__lillogo.gif Steel City Nibs

Pittsburgh Fountain Pen Club!

--Look for us in the Clubs, Meetings and Events forum--

Well, I know how you feel. I had the M90 for a few weeks before I actually inked it. It is a great, great writer, but I'm hesitant to use it because the stainless steel finish is prone to scratching. Since the MYU 701 pens are more common, I'd be inclined to get a MYU 701 to use and keep the M90 pristine.

Who am I kidding? I'd ink and use both. :roflmho:

Know whatcha mean. I can flush ink out of just about anything, but that first scratch on the barrel or cap is like the first dent on a new car, isn't it? I'm inclined to agree with you on inking the MYU for the exact reason you stated. Though it'd be a bit more than I paid for the M90, there does seem to be more of them floating around. Hmmmm. That being the case, maybe I should wait to find a better price...

I only wish my Parker Falcons were half as cool as the M90. I'd have no qualms about using them all the time.

A proud member of the

I have a M90 with F nib - beautifully designed and very stylish. B)

Just wondering, is it the only one in Ireland, or have more of the 9,000 reached the green and pleasant land? Maybe I've got the one and only example!!!! ;)

Anyway, I'd like to join the fan club.

My Fine nibbed one has passed through Ireland a couple of times - expect another visit in a couple of weeks.

Andrew

Most of my posts are edited - it's because I'm a sloppy typist.

Fine nib here, one of my best writers, part of the Permanent Collection!

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

Just got one off eBay for £60, used and unboxed but it still looks great. I am in love with it. It writes wonderfully (M nib) and looks better than any other pen I can imagine. Once again, I can't praise this pen enough. I don't even want any others; I would be happy to just have this (and maybe a spare or two eventually :P)

Not just a great pen, but a wise investment to boot!

A Pilot M90, identical to the one that I paid $149.00 US for in 2009, recently sold on eBay for $399.00! Predictable, really. And even though I'm not planning to sell mine, I still feel as if I've just made $250.00!

If the numbers creep into four digits, though, I might have to reconsider selling...

Oh c'mon, a boy can dream, can't he?

A proud member of the

Just got one off eBay for £60, used and unboxed but it still looks great. I am in love with it. It writes wonderfully (M nib) and looks better than any other pen I can imagine. Once again, I can't praise this pen enough. I don't even want any others; I would be happy to just have this (and maybe a spare or two eventually :P)

Wow! Can't help but think that's a great price. I'd surely pay $97.00 US if the pen was fine nibbed and gently used. It would solve my problem of not wanting to ink my brand new one!

Good grab!

A proud member of the

You can include me in a fan club for this elegant pen. (MGB -- sleep easy, you're not alone, my fine nib M90 is in Ireland as well, and I believe I know of at least one other).

I've got a M90 with a medium nib.

Its the best of the pocket pens for me. Its modern, its simple and its stylish. A good workhorse when I gotta carry a pen in my jeans pocket (or even in my inner suit pocket) when you want your pen to be discreet (until you pull it out! lol)

The only gripe for me is that it should be able to hold more ink! But then again life cant be perfect (all the time). lol

Count me in the club!

Nervous? No, I'm just thinking...

I have a medium but I haven't tried it yet -- waiting impatiently for a con-20 and a bottle of Iroshizuku fuyu syogun to arrive.

Hi MGB, I'm not in Ireland but just across the water in West Wales. I'd have thought there were quite a few M90s in western Europe.

Hi cpickersgill,

Ah, I'm sure there will be a celtic branch of the M90 fan club in due time. :P

Iechyd Da

mgb

You can include me in a fan club for this elegant pen. (MGB -- sleep easy, you're not alone, my fine nib M90 is in Ireland as well, and I believe I know of at least one other).

Hi gds

Good to know there is someone out there!!! :blink:

I have a M90 with F nib - beautifully designed and very stylish. B)

Just wondering, is it the only one in Ireland, or have more of the 9,000 reached the green and pleasant land? Maybe I've got the one and only example!!!! ;)

Anyway, I'd like to join the fan club.

My Fine nibbed one has passed through Ireland a couple of times - expect another visit in a couple of weeks.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Due I deduce that you are heading to the Aviva Stadium? :hmm1: Elementary, my dear Watson ;)

Good news for those as can afford it.

There's a new M90 with a medium nib available right now on eBay as a BIN... for $499.00! :yikes:

Not that I could afford it, but I just have to put it on my watch list to see how long it stays on the market!

Oh, and I woke up this morning to learn that I'd won a used MYU 701! :cloud9: It has a few scratches near the nib, but on a brushed steel pen I think I can deal with it. But this means I won't feel the overwhelming desire to ink my precious, pristine m90!

A proud member of the

What's the going rate for a new one of these? I have been in love with the disgn for a long time, and I have beensearching high and low.

This kind of pen increased over the last year too much! I was one of the first that bought it from ebay when it appeared. I paid $105. Everybode was asking for $105-$110 for this pen. The MYU 701 had a price of $180-190 (which still you can find it) and the "black stripe" at $250-$300 (now they ask from $400-$750).

I think if you will be patient and search web fountain pen stores you will find it with a price not more than $180-$200.

and by the way... from the 13 items of family Murex/MYU/Volex I am missing the transparent black Volex and the "White Stripe" MYU. Does anybody have them?

Still missing the "White Stripe" MYU and black brother MYU with transparent section!

(Has somebody a "Murex" with a working clock?

(Thanks to Steve I found the "Black Stripe Capless" and the "White Stripe Capless")

What's the going rate for a new one of these? I have been in love with the disgn for a long time, and I have beensearching high and low.

This kind of pen increased over the last year too much! I was one of the first that bought it from ebay when it appeared. I paid $105. Everybode was asking for $105-$110 for this pen. The MYU 701 had a price of $180-190 (which still you can find it) and the "black stripe" at $250-$300 (now they ask from $400-$750).

I think if you will be patient and search web fountain pen stores you will find it with a price not more than $180-$200.

and by the way... from the 13 items of family Murex/MYU/Volex I am missing the transparent black Volex and the "White Stripe" MYU. Does anybody have them?

Actually, I recently saw a MYU 701 black stripie go for over $1,000 USD recently on eBay. IIRC, it was mint with a sticker. And I think that the 1 selling for $750 USD was reduced from a higher price and has been up for a while. Makes me less eger to add a third to my collection...

A transparent black Volex??? I haven't ever heard of this before. Do you have any other information on it?

And good luck even finding someone with a MYU 701 white stripie, let alone someone willing to be parted from it. I think I saw a white stripe BP for sale recently. But one can always hope!

Add me to the fan club, too. My new M90 with medium nib arrived yesterday. It's a super smooth writer and I just love it! I got it from Euro-Box for $150. There's a thread in Market Watch with an email address for them. All they have left are medium nibs, and the converter is extra.