Pilot M90 Fan Club~!

professionaldilettante

Serious stuff indeed. I think I will enjoy the reliable steel nib, but currently I use a Pro Gear,

and so maybe this is good for short quick notes. It is probably much more convenient.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• furple

• professionaldilettante

• maus930

• Yuki Onitsura

I got a fine one last year, although I'm a little disappointed it feels scratchy and a little drier than I wanted, but maybe it's the paper. I wish I had gotten a medium.

Beautiful pen though and I love the design.

My Husbands Guide to "Flushing" a Fountain Pen.

"I took it to the bathroom first and let it rinse out"

"stuck the tip in the toilet and let the swirly water wash it (the ink) away"

My Blog: Stolen Moments - reviews of various things (mostly notebook/journals, but not very many atm)

I got a fine one last year, although I'm a little disappointed it feels scratchy and a little drier than I wanted, but maybe it's the paper. I wish I had gotten a medium.

Haha, wish I got the Fine as the Medium is a little too broad for me.

I have all the Pilot catalogues, ask me if you need help.

Looking to swap my Noodlers Britannia's Blue Waves

Just received my M90 with M nib, purchased from a fellow FPN'er, and I'm thrilled. It's my first "adult" fountain pen (not counting the one I used in grade school 20 years ago). I bought some Iroshizuku Asa-Gao to go along with it. Can't wait 'til that gets here!

Ditto. My <F> nib's been sitting in storage for awhile now. Strangely, it writes a little broader than I expected (more like my Pilot 78G Medium nib). Also, the lack of a proper section grip makes it a little hard for me to write with. I keep finding my finger position shifting around too much. Still, I haven't given up on it yet, and I plan on getting it tuned someday b/c I really like how it looks.

M90 = great pen.

Sell it = regret it... maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow... but...

I honestly think the M90 is going to have classic status like the original Myu pens. So if you don't like it, save it in a nice place for your kids or to hand down as a gift later on in life.

Follow TWSBI and the Diamond Project on Twitter!

Currently inked pens:

Pilot M90 F- Iroshizuku Tsuyu-Kusa

Sailor 1911 EF - MB Blue

Twsbi Diamond 530 F-Noodler's "Taiwan Eternally Free" Black Strait

Haha, wish I got the Fine as the Medium is a little too broad for me.

Sounds like a pen trade is in the making....

I first purchased an M90 fine but then traded for a medium. The M nib is perfect for how I use the M90 and the flow has been flawless. Better than several of my flashy gold nib pens... As the M90 grew on me I purchased a second one, also in medium. These are the pens I typically take on trips or when I'm going out. When I fly off to a convention I remove my converter and bring along a couple of ink cartridges and my trusty M90 and I'm good to go.

I love my medium nibbed M90!

(no problems fitting the Con-20 converter on it either).

Seems the packaging on mine was a lot nicer than the export one. Mine was bought by a friend who visited Japan.

you can never get it wrong, because you can never get it done!

Two M90 here--F and M nibs. Nice smooth nibs.

I do think this pen, outside Japan, is expensive. In Tokyo, you can find it for USD100.

Cheers,

Iosepus

REALLY?!!! For certain? I've got a friend going to Tokyo this summer! Maybe she could feed the habit if they're only 100 a pop.

Check the addresses in here: http://estilofilos.blogspot.com/2010/05/tokyo-april-2010.html

The MRSP is JPY 12600. At some discount shops you can get it for less then JPY 10,000. Check in particular the shops in Ameyoko, and Sekaido (this one in Shinjuku).

No affiliation with any of the above-mentioned shops.

Cheers,

Iosepus

Edited by Iosepus

Bruno Taut - Crónicas Estilográficas (https://estilofilos.blogspot.com)

The contents and pictures of this post belong to the author, here identified as Bruno Taut.

• 3 weeks later...

Just recently acquired a fine nib, though it was harder to find than I imagined for a 9K run. Good writer use it for math notes daily.

Recently found an M90 M nib -- Just right for me -- Had to have one the first time I saw a Picture at FPH I find it to be a please to use

They are still available -- Ebay-sources in Japan

Question re MY90 I do not care for cartridges -- so purchased bladder type converter as specified by Pilot store -- but it fits poorly and tends to leak -- anyone else with better idea??

HX

Question re MY90 I do not care for cartridges -- so purchased bladder type converter as specified by Pilot store -- but it fits poorly and tends to leak -- anyone else with better idea??

HX

First be sure that the converter was tightly seated in the pen. My M90's have a very snug fit and it takes a little pressure and a twist to insert them properly.

If you've done that and still have a leak, I'd recommend returning the converter for a replacement. I've had four of the M90's over time and installed and used converters in all of them and had no sign of any leaking.

Edited to note that the recommended converter for these is the Pilot Con-20. Some members have been able to get the larger Con-50 to somehow fit but others have found that it is too large for their pen. If you've purchased a Con-50 converter, it IS likely to fit poorly and may well leak.

Edited by PatientType

I was just refilling my M90 (f nib) and was thinking that I wished I had another, so I could put in a different color ink for easy swap out. Anyone have pointers as to where to buy one (other than ebay)? Yeah, I saw the post in the For Sale forum from earlier today, but it's on hold already.

As for leaking, I also had that problem with a CON-20 after I got it. I first thought it was the Noodler Baystate Blue I originally put in there but tried a variety of other inks and still had a leaking problem. Finally, after reading several posts in here about how leaks are usually because of a poor seal, and how hard it is to get a good seal, I found that if I held pen (empty) with the converter facing down and tapped it against a table or countertop (I used several plies of paper towels as a bit of cushion) I've been able to get it seated properly. I've been using it for over 6 months with no leaks.

I also found the f nib to be a dry writer, but not scratchy at all. Most inks come out very light. I found Noodler Black to work well, whereas Noodler Polar Black writes more like a grey. I currently have Noodler Tiananmen Red in it, and it works well.

I love my M90 so much that I am getting rid of all the imposters so here you go take your pick...

$75.00 each...U Pick...all Gold nibs in Fine...mailing included in price...

As photographed...Sailor, Sailor, Sailor, Pilot, Pilot, all Pocket pens.

Chas

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4041/4680525254_2a59414d5a.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4023/4680525268_c94cd6cf28.jpg

Edited by chas

Regards and have a good one....

A belated thank you for the advice -- with more pressure I could feel the converter seat and it has worked fine ever since -- have a good day