Pilot M90 Fan Club~!

professionaldilettante

Something I've been curious about, but keep forgetting to ask. Does anyone happen to know what the feed on the M90 is made of? It's the only one I've seen that's translucent if you hold it to a light. That's not to say there aren't others; I've just never seen one.

Come to that, does the MYU 701 also have a translucent feed? I'd check mine but it's full of ink and so probably wouldn't let light through. One day I'll get ambitious enough to do a thorough flushing and check the 701's feed.

A proud member of the

fpn_1302698674__lillogo.gif Steel City Nibs

Pittsburgh Fountain Pen Club!

--Look for us in the Clubs, Meetings and Events forum--

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• furple

• professionaldilettante

• maus930

• Yuki Onitsura

I just got my M90 back from Pendleton. It was sent out for a tine alignment, flow adjustment, and a possible re-grind. The nib is now perfect. Something like a .5mm stub, with a nice generous flow, and perfectly smooth. I have two other pens with Binder .5mm stubs, and this one appears to write a bit wider, maybe due to the wetter flow. It's exactly what I wanted; it looks like he had to remove a fair amount of tipping to accomplish it, but there's plenty left.

I would definitely count myself in the fan club. With this nib, my M90 will be seeing plenty of use.

I just got my M90 back from Pendleton. It was sent out for a tine alignment, flow adjustment, and a possible re-grind. The nib is now perfect. Something like a .5mm stub, with a nice generous flow, and perfectly smooth. I have two other pens with Binder .5mm stubs, and this one appears to write a bit wider, maybe due to the wetter flow. It's exactly what I wanted; it looks like he had to remove a fair amount of tipping to accomplish it, but there's plenty left.

I would definitely count myself in the fan club. With this nib, my M90 will be seeing plenty of use.

Any pictures or writting samples?

Any pictures or writting samples?

Sorry for the crummy color balance. My point and shoot does a bad job under CFL lighting.

http://sapak.info/guest/pictures/writing-sample-2/DSC03029.JPG

http://sapak.info/guest/pictures/writing-sample-2/DSC03034.JPG

http://sapak.info/guest/pictures/writing-sample-2/DSC03031.JPG

http://sapak.info/guest/pictures/writing-sample-2/DSC03033.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Gents,

Just adding to the tally:

2 x 701's in F and M

1 x 701 White Stripe in M

1 x M90 in M

I just added an M90 to my collection as well! Will probably regret it when the bill comes in.. stumbled across an auction on eBay with the buy it now option =)

Now my collection consists of (all fine nibs):

1x MYU 701

1x MYU Elite (cross hatch)

1x MYU Volex

1x MYU "Brother" matte black (bought used, and has a terrible nib :mad:

1x M90 !!!!!!

Not sure what I should do with the MYU brother... the nib is terrible - it's a Fine nib but writes like a medium - probably very well used/worn in over the last 30 years.

All of these awesome MYU pens reside in a black suede wrap from Nan =)

Something I've been curious about, but keep forgetting to ask. Does anyone happen to know what the feed on the M90 is made of? It's the only one I've seen that's translucent if you hold it to a light. That's not to say there aren't others; I've just never seen one.

Come to that, does the MYU 701 also have a translucent feed? I'd check mine but it's full of ink and so probably wouldn't let light through. One day I'll get ambitious enough to do a thorough flushing and check the 701's feed.

I recently saw that my Pilot Custom 823 also has a feed like that.

I have not disassembled the M90, so I can not compare directly.

Latest additions: Aurora Dante Inferno (B), Graf Von Faber Castell Classic Wood Ebony (OM), La Couronne Du Comte Willem van Oranje (M), Montblanc Writers Edition Cervantes (M), Aurora Optima Cento Riflessi Limited Edition (B)

I recently saw that my Pilot Custom 823 also has a feed like that.

I have not disassembled the M90, so I can not compare directly.

I've seen it in photos of the M90 disassembled, and in my own M90's when they have been cleaned well, The feed is a translucent blue plastic, actually a very pretty color. However, if you get the least bit of ink on it, it gets obscured for the time until the next cleaning.

The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.

Blaise Pascal

fpn_1336709688__pen_01.jpg

Tell me about any of your new pens and help with fountain pen quality control research!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks!

I just received my M90 today... LOVE IT.

Only thing is, I inserted the ink cartridge that it came with - it took awhile to start to write, but the ink started flowing, I am finding that every time I put the cap on, and take the cap off - the cap off motion I think is causing some suction and actually "sucking" ink out of the feed. So far, every other time I un-cap the pen, I've had to clean up a minor mess inside the cap and the pen... has anyone else experienced this problem before?

Thanks!

Z

**EDIT: never mind... the problem seems to have gone away - might have been an initial "over filling" of the feed? Have replaced the cartridge with the convertor and now it's all good.. =)

Edited by keisuke_z

• 1 month later...

I won an unused M90 Medium nib pen on ebay for an embarrassing amount of dollars and it just arrived today. I thought it was way too scratchy - blaming my left-handedness, but as I started writing it got smoooooooooooth~~~

The line width I'm seeing compared to my Lamy 2000 XF nib is literally just a tiny tiny bit wider. Now I'm having sleepless nights wondering what a F nib feels like :cloud9:

My haiku:

Fountain pens seem to

Be extremely addicting.

I keep on buying.

as I started writing it got smoooooooooooth~~~

[...]

Now I'm having sleepless nights wondering what a F nib feels like

Well, it's not nice. Scratchy as a chicken claw. Feels just like you are squealing with you fingernails on a blackboard. Or picking the dirt under your fingernails with a sharp pointed dart. Something like that. Not really enjoyable, not at least. Avoid at any cost.

:-) just trying to save the few remaining survivors in your wallet - no need to believe me at all :-)

Edited by mirosc

Greetings,

Michael

Come to that, does the MYU 701 also have a translucent feed?

Yes, it's a very dark midnight blue. Gives the little touch of extra nice perfection.Maybe it's a bit brighter and mine has seen to much ink, but I love this dark blue black. If someone could just make an ink like that...

Edited by mirosc

Greetings,

Michael

I totally regret selling mine for $130 to fund another pen that I thought I really wanted

Pilot vanishing point does also.

• 4 weeks later...

I just picked up a M90(and a spare for a rainy day) with a M nib and am beyond impressed with its performance. In case anyone here happens to live in Tokyo, the Sekaido store in Shinjuku as of three days ago had a couple more in stock NIB for around 10-11,000 yen. I think that this was the original release price! Japan is a very dangerous place for the pen enthusiast's wallet...

http://i.imgur.com/Bftqofd.png

I just picked up a M90(and a spare for a rainy day) with a M nib and am beyond impressed with its performance. In case anyone here happens to live in Tokyo, the Sekaido store in Shinjuku as of three days ago had a couple more in stock NIB for around 10-11,000 yen. I think that this was the original release price! Japan is a very dangerous place for the pen enthusiast's wallet...

OK...how would I contact them? I have a future son-in-law who is fluent in Japanese just need contact information! Feel free to PM if you know!

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

• 2 months later...

Just got one myself in Medium nib. Looks like I won't be spending any more for a while...

• 3 months later...