Professional Gear Realo

rokurinpapa

I saw this on the Swisher Pens site today -- out early?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hope L, hopeless nib nerd

Neglected blog: www.louisquill.com

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s320/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TechWriter

• michael_s

• Physalis

• tanalasta

I saw this on the Swisher Pens site today -- out early?

Do you mean this onehttp://www.swisherpens.com/catalog/companies/accessories/sailor/sailor-1911-realo-fountain-pen.htm

if so i think that's the 2009 model

Edited by Parkman

Wanted:

MB 146 F nib

Sailor Realo Broad nib

My Pens:

MB 149 OB, Sailor Sapporo 0.8 Stub! Parker black vac DJ FM, Parker 51 cedar blue vac FM

However, I'd not be happy with the window showing when the cap is on the pen, destroys the look in my view.

Hello!

I thought the same until I started using my Realo, and I have come to like being able to know the ink level without removing the cap. I think the designers at Sailor really thought this through, and I believe many writers will appreciate the "window" lower on the barrel.

BTW, another pen that had this feature, but has been, generally, ignored, is the well-made Geha "Goldwing" from Germany. Geha was bought out by Pelikan and, for a while, some Pelikan models looked like Gehas and vice versa.

In my opinion, for the money, the Sailor Realo eclipses pens like the Montblanc 146. Sailor designers have come up with a terrific pen that operates properly and writes beautifully right out of the box. The cap has a very clever feature that I haven't seen mentioned. There is a spring-loaded inner plastic cap/valve that protects the nib. The spring can be heard "twisting" as the barrel is screwed into the cap. I appreciate details like this.

Regards, Robert

No matter where you go, there you are.

However, I'd not be happy with the window showing when the cap is on the pen, destroys the look in my view.

Hello!

I thought the same until I started using my Realo, and I have come to like being able to know the ink level without removing the cap. I think the designers at Sailor really thought this through, and I believe many writers will appreciate the "window" lower on the barrel.

BTW, another pen that had this feature, but has been, generally, ignored, is the well-made Geha "Goldwing" from Germany. Geha was bought out by Pelikan and, for a while, some Pelikan models looked like Gehas and vice versa.

In my opinion, for the money, the Sailor Realo eclipses pens like the Montblanc 146. Sailor designers have come up with a terrific pen that operates properly and writes beautifully right out of the box. The cap has a very clever feature that I haven't seen mentioned. There is a spring-loaded inner plastic cap/valve that protects the nib. The spring can be heard "twisting" as the barrel is screwed into the cap. I appreciate details like this.

Regards, Robert

I think something we often don't appreciate about pens from the 1930s and 40s (and later with regard to some European pens, as you point out, Robert), is that many also had clear inkview windows that were fairly promiment. What we see today, with these 60 or 70 year old pens are darkened and ambered inkview windows, so some (me, for one) take that to be the norm.

I like the look of the current Realo and the visible inkview window is fine with me, but I think I will prefer the PG version.

best, Dan

• 4 weeks later...

Will be waiting patiently, preferably for this to come out in rhodium trim.

The only disappointment is that I won't be able to swap the duo-tone nib of the PG series between this and my other full-size 1911. I plan to purchase a fine nib (or a M-F) to complement the EF I already have.

Now the only other decision is whether to purchase the rhodium trim one in the c/c now as well... -_-

Or should I just bite the bullet and order the Nakaya portable writer.........

*edit*

I decided I won't wait for the piston filler PG. It costs more and the ink capacity is only marginally higher than the convertor (which is one of the better ones available anyhow) and the convertor is easier to clean. And I fell in love with the fine nibbed, gold trim PG the moment I wrote with it I went back to the store and purchased it. :blush:

Edited by tanalasta

In Rotation: MB 146 (EF), Noodler's Ahab bumblebee, Edison Pearl (F), Sailor ProGear (N-MF)

In storage: MB 149 (18k EF), TWSBI 540 (B), ST Dupont Olympio XL (EF), MB Dumas (B stub), Waterman Preface (ST), Edison Pearl (0.5mm CI), Noodler's Ahab clear, Pilot VP (M), Danitrio Densho (F), Aurora Optima (F), Lamy 2000 (F), Visconti Homo Sapiens (stub)

• 2 weeks later...

Sailor's US website now have it listed as 'available April 2010'

http://www.sailorpen.com/1911-series.html

In Rotation: MB 146 (EF), Noodler's Ahab bumblebee, Edison Pearl (F), Sailor ProGear (N-MF)

In storage: MB 149 (18k EF), TWSBI 540 (B), ST Dupont Olympio XL (EF), MB Dumas (B stub), Waterman Preface (ST), Edison Pearl (0.5mm CI), Noodler's Ahab clear, Pilot VP (M), Danitrio Densho (F), Aurora Optima (F), Lamy 2000 (F), Visconti Homo Sapiens (stub)

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Just a comment: Melpens now has the Pro Gear Realo advertised on its website for $295 USD. I purchased one with a broad nib and it is now in transit.

Regards,

Andy

Received Professional Gear Realo Black GT this morning. Out-of-the-box, I filled it with J Herbin Perle Noire ink. Find the bold nib works best for me as a lefty because I wll tend to hold pen about 90 degrees as I write. It has Sailor icon on top of cap. And it is shorter than the Profit Realo because of flat-top cap and barrel for Professional Gear style. Regards, Andy.

Post a review on that sucker if you can! It's like a Custom 845, just without the urushi finish and hundreds of dollars cheaper.

I do not have an 845 to make that comparison but I will develop a review of the Professional Gear Realo. Regards, andy

Post a review on that sucker if you can! It's like a Custom 845, just without the urushi finish and hundreds of dollars cheaper.

Hi,

My Professional Gear Realo review is now posted in the Pen Reviews section.

Regards,

Andy

Hi,

My Professional Gear Realo review is now posted in the Pen Reviews section.

Regards,

Andy

Hi,

Have added two pictures as reply item in Pen Reviews.