M605: Nib alignment on the feed after service

maschuu

Hi,

today i received my new M605 back from Pelikan, after they changed it to F.

I filled it up with Ink and began writing. No problems at all after using it for a short time.

But after inspecting the new nib, i was a bit surprised.

The Nib doesn't seem to be centered on the feed.

post-21436-126425454863_thumb.jpg

The feed is a bit off to the left.

Since i have no experience with expensive pens, i would like the opinion of the forum if this could be a problem?

Thanks for your help :-)

Thomas

PS: Since i received a shippment of Diamine Inks today, i filled the pen with Majestic Blue. While writing the above (perhaps 3-4min), the pen was sitting capless on the desk. When i picked it up to write something, it didn't start right away.... mhmmm....

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• maschuu

• Koyote

• 1000km

• Pfhorrest

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A small misalignment is usually not a problem and is more common than you might think, for example my Graf von Faber Castell Classic and my Pelikan M 640 were both shipped this way. If you are really OCD about it you could send it back to get it exchanged.

And by the way, no pen will start right away after being left capless 3-4 mins (except a Parker 21/51!)

The sword is mightier than the pen. However, swords are now obsolete whereas pens are not.

-Unknown

But it wasn't just a matter of 1-2 strokes and off you go, it took quite some "scratching it over paper" to get the ink flowing again.

And it now also happened when the pen was capped and lying horizontaly.

Since i'm new to Diamine Inks in general it simply might be a "combination problem".

I will flush the pen and try plain Pelikan Royal Blue to see if the same will happen.

I do not think the flow issue is because of the very slight misalignment of the feed. It could be something different. I do have a pen with the same issue and it causes no problems at all. However I am not a professional and it might very well be the case.

It pains me to comment so negatively here - this being my first post - but as I'm considering purchasing a Pelikan M1000 I find this mis-alignment astonishing.

If it were mine it would already be winging its way back to Pelikan. Astonishing.

Toolan

It's very easy to rectify this yourself. First try straightening the nib against the feed by pushing it gently against a firmish surface, such as your pad. If that doesn't work, drain the ink, flush the pen, remove the nib, remove the nib collar, align nib and feed carefully, push the collar back into place. It's a 5 minute job in either case.

Thanks for the advice.

I tried the first one, didn't work that well (= didn't move at all.)

So i removed the nib, but how do i remove the collar the right way? Is it screwed on as well?

I thought i better ask before breaking it ;)

Please see the image below. It's a friction fit. Hold the nib unit with the feed pressing down onto a surface, nib pointing up. Gently apply downward pressure to the collar.

http://i47.tinypic.com/2zyx26u.jpg

Edited by 1000km

Removing the nib collar with just force alone won't do the trick. The feed and nib are very tight in the collar, especially in a brand new nib section. You would need a proper knock out block. If you cannot align the feed with your fingers then knocking it out would be the next best step.

Montblanc Meisterstuck 149 w/14c Binder's XXXF- Noodler's Old Manhattan Black

Be very careful when fiddling with the nib-feed combination on Pelikan pens - the website states that the latter is welded onto the nib. I don't know if this is true, but I do know that you might be wishing you had just sent the nib back if you do something wrong.

The sword is mightier than the pen. However, swords are now obsolete whereas pens are not.

-Unknown

For what it's worth, I've realigned the nib on my M215 using the exact methods 1000km describes and it worked fine. On the other hand, you do always want to be very careful when handling an expensive and intricate instrument. Believe me, I know. I bent the tines on my first Lamy 2000 when trying to reinsert the nib into the section after a cleaning. There's no worse feeling than ruining a good pen. :embarrassed_smile:

Thanks for all the good advice. I did not try it yet, and after reading the last few posts, i don't know if i should...

Until now everything seems fine, but you know, there's this nagging feeling...

I think i just drop Pelikan a few lines and see what they have to say about the matter first :)

Pelikan answered (really fast by the way..):

For best performance the nib should be centered properly on the feed, and i definetly should send it back (again...).

Edited by maschuu

My M400 nib is aligned as your's and I have no flow issues. It is hard to forget about the fact the the feed is slightly off, but if it bothers you that much, just send it back. Try a different ink and see if that solves your "not starting" issue.

Blake

Pilot Vanishing point - metallic blue

Noodler's Ahab

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday i got the pen back from Pelikan, and i was very underwhelmed by the result.

Not only is the nib not properly aligned -this time its off to the other side- but also the tines were visibly misaligned as well.

So of course the pen was scratchy as hell first, and even now after some carefull "bending", with the tines now flush, the pen runs pretty dry....

If i ever knew this would happen, i would have gladly coped with the M nib it came with, because that one was perfect from the start.

Yesterday i got the pen back from Pelikan, and i was very underwhelmed by the result.

Not only is the nib not properly aligned -this time its off to the other side- but also the tines were visibly misaligned as well.

So of course the pen was scratchy as hell first, and even now after some carefull "bending", with the tines now flush, the pen runs pretty dry....

If i ever knew this would happen, i would have gladly coped with the M nib it came with, because that one was perfect from the start.

Well, your original post reported "No problems at all" with the first nib's writing abilities, so I don't really know why you sent it back.

I guess send it back again?

Well, your original post reported "No problems at all" with the first nib's writing abilities, so I don't really know why you sent it back.

I guess send it back again?

Mainly because Pelikan told me to. They told me -judging from pictures i send them- the placement of the nib was not o.k.

And since i'm not proficient enough to try the advice i got earlier in the thread i followed their advice.

I'm just disappointed they not only weren't able to repair the pen but also made it worse.

They also promised me some ink for my troubles, as a compensation for shipping and handling, which sadly wasn't in the return package. :mellow:

Damn Germans...... (I'm german myself, fyi ;) )

I was expecting a better service of Pelikan, guess I was wrong.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time