Board upgrade and fixes

Admin

That's the forum layout you have selected, I think, provided I understand correctly what you are saying.

Click on My Settings, towards the top of the board, right half, then click the forums tab on the next screen, left top, and if you look towards the bottom left of the page you'll see Topic Display Mode. Just select the one you want.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

Thanks Wim, allsorted and just in case nobody else told you today I'll say it..... "YOU'RE A STAR!"

Best Regards, Carol

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wimg

• ArchiMark

• RitaCarbon

• ceejaybee

That's the forum layout you have selected, I think, provided I understand correctly what you are saying.

Click on My Settings, towards the top of the board, right half, then click the forums tab on the next screen, left top, and if you look towards the bottom left of the page you'll see Topic Display Mode. Just select the one you want.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

Thanks Wim, allsorted and just in case nobody else told you today I'll say it..... "YOU'RE A STAR!"

Best Regards, Carol

Thank you for your kind words, Carol.

I am glad I could be of help.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Cannot View New Content

I have had no problems for a year, but for the last week, I get

A database timeout occurred when trying to View New Content.

I use Vista, Firefox, and it happens 24 hours a day no matter how many web windows are open.

Thanks for any help you can provide -- I appreciate the site and all your work very much.

John

Time will say nothing but I told you so.

I don't know if this is related to the upgrade, but I noticed that all of the topics now say there are "0 views," which seems unlikely since they, in many cases, have dozens of replies. It's a pretty minor issue, but it looks rather strange.

I don't know if this is related to the upgrade, but I noticed that all of the topics now say there are "0 views," which seems unlikely since they, in many cases, have dozens of replies. It's a pretty minor issue, but it looks rather strange.

I've noticed that in the past, think before all the 'upgrades'...just never remembered to bring it up....thought it odd too....

Meanwhile, still can't use the 'View New Content' button without getting the error message...really has limited the usability of the forums without it...

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

The number of views is supposed to update every 3 hours, but it looks to me like it only does approximately every 24 hours. This is not a setting we can influence, other than instantaneously, or every 3 hours. Because of the overhead involved having the system do this instantaneously, we will leave it as it stands now, until all problems are solved.

In the mean time, you could try clearing your browser cache, if you haven't done so.

Check the FAQ topic, pinned at the top of the Members Helping Members forum for instructions on how to go about this.

BTW, if you have any problems accessing parts of the forum, or getting errors, we would really appreciate it if you could report those in the Members Helping Members forum. It makes things much easier to find for us.

Thank you in advance!

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

I've noticed that in the past, think before all the 'upgrades'...just never remembered to bring it up....thought it odd too....

Meanwhile, still can't use the 'View New Content' button without getting the error message...really has limited the usability of the forums without it...

As I explained above, the number of views is supposed to update every 3 hours, but it seems only to do this about every 24 hours. This is not a setting we can influence, the choices being instantaneously, or every 3 hours. Because of system overhead, we will leave it as it stands now, until all problems are solved.

The VNP issue is something we are looking into, with the help of Invision.

In the mean time, just as for the # of views issue, you could try clearing your browser cache, if you haven't done so. Check the FAQ topic, pinned at the top of the Members Helping Members forum for instructions on how to go about this.

Regarding limited usability without VNP: it has an enormous system overhead, and one of the most likely candidates in forum functionality to give trouble. Personally, I prefer to go through the forums one by one, and once I've read all I want to, mark the forum as read, and go on to the next forum. Once I am then done with all the forums I want to read, and there aren't any new messages in the forums I was reading earlier, I mark the board as read, for the remainder of the messages I am not likely interested in or have no time to read biggrin.gif. This may not work for all, but it does for me.

BTW, also as mentioned above, if you have any problems accessing parts of the forum, or getting errors, we would really appreciate it if you could report those in the Members Helping Members forum. It makes things really much easier to find for us, and attend to if we aren't doing so already.

Thanks in advance!

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

The number of views is supposed to update every 3 hours, but it looks to me like it only does approximately every 24 hours. This is not a setting we can influence, other than instantaneously, or every 3 hours. Because of the overhead involved having the system do this instantaneously, we will leave it as it stands now, until all problems are solved.

In the mean time, you could try clearing your browser cache, if you haven't done so.

Check the FAQ topic, pinned at the top of the Members Helping Members forum for instructions on how to go about this.

BTW, if you have any problems accessing parts of the forum, or getting errors, we would really appreciate it if you could report those in the Members Helping Members forum. It makes things much easier to find for us.

Thank you in advance!

Warm regards, Wim

Thanks for all your help, support, and info, Wim...truly appreciate it!

Understand that everyone has different usage patterns/preferences....

For me and I think many others, it really helps to see what's new since last visit to the forums as opposed to going through each section one-by-one...just don't have the luxury of time to do that...but again, each to his own...choices are good....

:)

Thanks,

Mark

UPDATE:

Just changed settings in My Settings>Search Settings>View New Content from 'Show me all content that I have not read' to 'Show me all content since my last visit'.

Now, I get a page with new content listed instead of the error message!

So, at least something works!

:D

Thanks for the tip, Mark. After weeks of not having access to View New Content, your suggestion did the trick!

John

Time will say nothing but I told you so.

Thanks for the tip, Mark. After weeks of not having access to View New Content, your suggestion did the trick!

John

Always glad to be of service, John....

;)

Meanwhile.....

Just realized something else has been going on since about noon on Sunday....

I have not received one email notice of FPN thread being updated...very odd as by now I normally receive a bunch of them due to various threads that I'm subscribed to....

:hmm1:

Mark, we're looking into the notification problem.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Mark, we're looking into the notification problem.

Warm regards, Wim

Great, at least it's not my imagination....

:)

Thanks for all your help at FPN. Appreciate it!

regards,

Mark

Meanwhile.....

Just realized something else has been going on since about noon on Sunday....

I have not received one email notice of FPN thread being updated...very odd as by now I normally receive a bunch of them due to various threads that I'm subscribed to....

:hmm1:

Same here!

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I have not received one email notice of FPN thread being updated...very odd as by now I normally receive a bunch of them due to various threads that I'm subscribed to.... :hmm1:

+1

No notifications have come through at all...

... although as a serendipitous side-effect, I'm looking over the sub-fora more closely, and finding some other fascinating discussions ! :clap1:

John P.

Could you please all be so kind as to post these findings in the Member Helping Members forum? It makes it easier for us to trace any problems, plus there is a thread there already discussing this.

The notifications bear no relation to the upgrade anyway.

TIA!

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Ok, hopefully fixed the email notifications. A few messages got stuck, holding everything up for unclear reasons.

We had to clear the message queue before it could be started up again, so older notifications are all lost, unfortunately.

Please report any further problems in Members Helping Members. This thread will be closed now biggrin.gif.

Thanks again!

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman