Eggplant

Stephen-I-am

Here is a short review of a recipe I came up with of an ink that I'm calling Eggplant (or courgette if you prefer). The recipe is 7 parts to 2, Noodlers Iraqi Indigo to Noodlers Zhivago.

The resulting color is a dark purple-black that I think is a good match for an eggplant's skin. This ink flows very well and is a fairly quick drying ink. More importantly, it is completely waterproof. It will raise barely a cloud when run under water, and performs well on poor quality paper.

Stephen

post-35-1154740328_thumb.jpg

Current Favorite Inks

Noodlers La Reine Mauve Noodlers Walnut

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stephen-I-am

• southpaw

• Viseguy

• sonia_simone

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for posting. I like the idea of a purple-black! On my monitor, I can't really see the purple shading. How much is there (I know - tough question, although I am familar with eggplant)? Does the purple come out on the perimeter of the lines, in shading, or is it just a subtle undertone to the whole line? Maybe that's more clear (or maybe I just muddied the water).

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

It actually looks more purple in person. Also, I used clairefontane paper, and the color is more apparent on more absorbant paper. I'll try to get another picture on different paper. It really isn't all that subtle in person.

Stephen

Current Favorite Inks

There is something about using Zhivago as a mixing ink that is strange. The color that you get from the mix is not really stable. I tried a variety of this mix using PR plum. The purple in the plum was very apparent in the mix, but after about 6 hours it had vanished in the ink mix, although on the page it had not changed. I chalked that up to the plum.

Iraqi indigo on the other hand stayed stable for most of a day, but I can see that the color is different from what I had yesterday. The color of the photos is the color after the shift occured.

I wonder if there is a component of the Zhivago that reacts with the pigments in the inks I mix with it.

I may try upping the 7:2 ratio and seeing what happens. I do like the color in any case -- the flow is great, it dries fast, and is quite waterproof.

Stephen

Edited by Stephen-I-am

Current Favorite Inks

Very nifty, I may need to pick up some II and experiment. I don't even mind the color shift, it just makes things more interesting!

Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!

--The Tick

That's an interesting mix, Stephen. I find that Noodler's Nightshade is pretty close to the colour of an aubergine/eggplant, but I also like the more subtle tones of your shade.

Neil

[FPN ACCOUNT ABANDONED. I AM NO LONGER ACTIVE HERE, BUT AM SADLY UNABLE TO CLOSE MY ACCOUNT AND DELETE MY POSTS.]

Not waterproof, but if you want a tad more purple in an aubergine/eggplant, you could try equal proportions of PR Midnight Blues, PR Plum, and PR Black Cherry. Increasing the proportions of blue and plum to 3:3:2 gives a very dark purple.

I have seen it said that 1 x Pelikan Violet to 2 x JH Poussiere de Lune (Burgundy) also gives a nice aubergine, but I've never seen or tried it.

Edited by AndrewW

Mmm mmmmm! qie zi (ch'ie tzu)! Chop them up, stir fry them with a little garlic and serve them with oyster sauce -- oops, you got me thinking about the real thing, complete with the memory of whiffs of soft-coal smoke :blush: .