• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Viseguy

• PJohnP

• OcalaFlGuy

• parkerstylo

Sapphire was great stuff in its heyday, back before Noodlers or Private Reserve even existed. By today's ink standards, it's not such a big deal.

I have to agree. I had a sample of PPS a few years ago and, to me, it was no great shakes. Noodler's Blue is a truer blue, PR DCSS more dazzling, and J. Herbin Bleu Myosotis more subtle, in my view. PPS's novelty as one of the first highly-saturated FP inks has probably helped inflate its legend.

How much will a NOS bottle of Baystate Blue fetch 60 years from now, I wonder?

How would you say Noodler's Blue compares to PR DCSS?

The mixture looks nice, now I just have to decide if I should mix some of that, get Noodler's Blue, or get DCSS for my royal blue ink.

How would you say Noodler's Blue compares to PR DCSS?

The mixture looks nice, now I just have to decide if I should mix some of that, get Noodler's Blue, or get DCSS for my royal blue ink.

I wouldn't call either of them a royal blue. DCSS may be a tick darker, or more full-bodied, or more dazzling. Noodler's Blue may be a tad more water-resistant. If you're willing to mix, consider adding some Noodler's La Couleur Royale to either of those colors, or, alternatively, some La Reine Mauve, which makes "La Reine Bleu" (picture here). I think it has more "pop" than the PPS lookalike.

Viseguy

If you're willing to mix, consider adding some Noodler's La Couleur Royale to either of those colors, or, alternatively, some La Reine Mauve, which makes "La Reine Bleu" ... I think it has more "pop" than the PPS lookalike.

Vise :

How water resistant is that mix ?

John P.

...here's a soak test. You can judge for yourself.

Hey Vise,

That's pretty darned good !

I don't necessarily need absolute-granite-hard-bulletproof-not-to-be-ever-removed water resistance... :rolleyes: What I do need is some reasonably decent levels of water resistance if I spill a cup of tea on some notes from my work, which your test certainly meets, and meets quite well.

A 2:1 mix of Noodler's LRM and Blue, eh ? I'll have to find some of these and give this a try. The colour looks quite enticing. :notworthy1:

Thanks very much for running the test - it's sincerely appreciated !

John P.

A 2:1 mix of Noodler's LRM and Blue, eh ?

Actually, the mix in the soak test doesn't have that much LRM. More like 5:1 or 6:1; maybe even less. Proving once again that a little bit of bulletproof in a mix goes a long way.

Edited to add: Those ratios are Blue:LRM, of course.

Thanks very much for running the test - it's sincerely appreciated !

You're very welcome, John.

Edited by Viseguy

Viseguy

Actually, the mix in the soak test doesn't have that much LRM. More like 5:1 or 6:1; maybe even less. Proving once again that a little bit of bulletproof in a mix goes a long way.

Edited to add: Those ratios are Blue:LRM, of course.

Vise :

Hurm. O.K. I was taking that ratio from the referenced thread where the pic shows it as 2:1 LRM to Blue (and I now note that the text shows it as Blue:LRM !!!). Good to find this out before I start to do any mixes ! :hmm1:

Thanks again.

John P.

Hurm. O.K. I was taking that ratio from the referenced thread where the pic shows it as 2:1 LRM to Blue (and I now note that the text shows it as Blue:LRM !!!).

Yes, well, for the record: Oops! The pic is wrong, the text is right. Lots of Blue + a little LRM does the trick.

Viseguy

• 7 months later...

Here's a little PPS scribbles with Everflow True Blue on top two lines. I'm also showing off my new scanner Epson V600, following Sandy1's lead.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/pike444/Inks/Everflow/Sapphires.jpg

Edited by SamCapote

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

I only wish there were people out there trying to find something closer to Penman Emerald than the (not terrible) PR Ebony Green.

After Ebony Green, I stopped looking. In the pen I use for Emerald, EG is dang near identical. But it is, as always, nib dependent. Fortunately, I still have a truckload of Emerald (well, 5 bottles).

Now and then I think I will give one up and go ahead with EG and be happy with that. But what is still not quite there - that almost 3D shine that probably can't be duplicated without more phenol. Were I still in a lab... ;)

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

I have to agree. I had a sample of PPS a few years ago and, to me, it was no great shakes. Noodler's Blue is a truer blue, PR DCSS more dazzling, and J. Herbin Bleu Myosotis more subtle, in my view. PPS's novelty as one of the first highly-saturated FP inks has probably helped inflate its legend.

I think part of what makes PPS special is the way it shades and the way it wets the paper, which is something that probably can't be perfectly duplicated without also duplicating its clogging problems. In terms of finding the world's most perfect shade of blue -- I'd agree that Noodler's Blue is slightly more pure, and to me more attractive.

Right now my favorite off-the-shelf blue ink is Noodler's Blue American Eel. Although. . . PR DCSS is also impressive, but it's just a bit too dark for me, unless I was using a dry-ish pen maybe. Or maybe I should try diluting it a little, I dunno.

My other favorite blue was a mixture that I concocted. . .

• 3 parts Noodler's Blue
  • 1 part Legal Lapis
  • 2 parts distilled water

It shades nicely and has a waterproof component.

Parker Penman Sapphire is a big deal. It's probably still in the top 5 of blues.

It's one of the colors that reach out and say...that's it.

Unfortunately it had clogging problems or some such thing.

Some one was ever so nice as to send me a swatch book, with Q-tip smear and a written sentence. There was @ 20 of the 60 inks were blue.

There are so many good blues out there. Diamine Kensington is near it.

However, I decided to buy Visconti Blue next...and didn't I got Waterman Florida Blue for some of my more delicate vintage pens, needing a wetter ink.

Visconti is a completely different shade of blue than the old Parker.

I can though see why some one would want that particular color enough to buy three inks to make it with. By me, a two 1/2* blue guy, I'd buy it if it was available...it would still be a top blue.

* Waterman South Sea Blue....is 1/2 a blue and I like it most. But I will get the Visconti next, even if I have to give up donuts and chocolate chip cookies to do so.

If I turn right going out the house I can avoid the bakery with the donuts and chocolate chip cookies some five minute walk from my house.

In town, if I walk real fast I can avoid the two Starbuck's and the brownies, and the Subway's with the warm chocolate chip cookies, and if I stay out of that section of town, I can stay away from the French bakery with all the sweet French stuff.

After much time with a city map, I've plotted a course to my Brick and Mortar that avoids all them places, and I don't even have to go up over the top of the mountain, just skirt along the side. :thumbup:

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh boy, will have to try the recipe! Then maybe I'll stop hording my stash of Penman and start using it!

Thanks for jogging my conscience.

In my mid-40s maybe it's high time I start using up the last 3 dozen Penman bottles I have in my stash.

May I live long enough to enjoy every drop.

Oh boy, will have to try the recipe! Then maybe I'll stop hording my stash of Penman and start using it!

Thanks for jogging my conscience.

In my mid-40s maybe it's high time I start using up the last 3 dozen Penman bottles I have in my stash.

May I live long enough to enjoy every drop.

I'm older than you are and I agree. At some point it's best to just use the stuff we like, such as ink, and figure that we'll at very least be able to spend much of the remainder of our lives enjoying it. And maybe we'll enjoy it all. I figure why hoard stuff that I like when I could be enjoying it? The alternative is to die with a great stash of stuff I'd have liked to use. And those who come to clean up after me will probably not value what I've valued and may just toss it all in the garbage.

So I'm planning on enjoying my ink!

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell