Montblanc 146 vs Sailor 1911 full size

goodguy

This has been long overdue, a comparing review between two very popular pens.

The 146 is not new to me. This is the second pen I own.

The Sailor 1911 on the other hand is relatively new, I own it for only few months but in that time I gained to respect and love this pen.

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u330/alfa170a/DSC01287.jpg

I found that in many ways these pens are equal and in other not.

Let's start with the design, the 1911 looks to me like a Masterpiece replica and the sad part is that this pen is so good it should have its own design but Sailor has their reasons to leave the design as it is so for me the first negative remark in this review is on the 1911.

It feels to me like Sailor is telling the users of their 1911 we don't care much about the design, we took a classic pen copied its design and so be happy with it as I said before this pen should have its own design and the users of this pen are entitle to get a pen with its own personality.

After getting this out of the way there is very little I can add to previous reviews on the cigar shape design of these pens.

The classic and timeless design of these pens is always very pleasant to the eye and somehow always keeps its freshness in a way I never get bored from seeing it and enjoy it.

In the hand these pens feel a bit different because of a different weight distribution of there filling mechanism.

The Sailor has a more even weight distribution while the 146 is (as with most modern MB's) bottom heavy due to the piston located at the bottom of the pen.

Both pens are quite light weight but again the 1911 is slightly lighter then the 146 so the 1911 is coming slightly on top here due to an even weight distribution and a bit lighter weight.

The biggest difference is the filling mechanism.

There is nothing wrong with the Sailor's CC filling mechanism except that its boring and hold enough ink for normal use.

The 146's piston filler is simply cool, very smooth and holds much more ink then the CC filler.

So here MB wins big time.

Of course the 1911 has there own piston filled 1911 and kudos for that. I would love to own one someday but in the case of this pen I choose the 146's piston.

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u330/alfa170a/DSC01290.jpg

Now to the nib.

For those who read my previous reports over the nib of the 1911 they should know I love the 1911's nib but how will it compare to the 146 ?

Both pens passed through the very capable hands of the Sean Gosse and he did wonders with both nibs as they both had issues when I got them.

Both nibs are fine but no doubt the Sailors nib is thinner then the MB's and that gives the Sailor a more precise feel to it.

To my surprise the MB nib is even smoother then the Sailor and trust me when I tell you the Sailor nib is very smooth. I actually am not so happy with this as there is less feedback from the 146 nib.

The Sailor nib is also springy while the MB is a true nail.

So the bottom line the MB nib is excellent and compared to other nibs it would probably win but when compared to the Sailor this nib comes second. Its not a knockout win more a win by points but still the 1911 is better.

Overall quality of both pens is not surprisingly very good and I have nothing bad to say. Both pens feel very solid and will stand everyday tasks with ease.

Conclusion

Both pens are almost identical.

They look so much the same that I actually need a second before I know which is which.

I actually took the pens in my hand and couldn't know for sure which pen I have without looking.

While writing I did feel the difference especially due to the very springy nib of the Sailor.

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u330/alfa170a/DSC01294.jpg

Which one is better ?

If I don't involve feelings and make a cold choice I must (with a heavy heart as a MB guy) admit the 1911 wins here and that's mostly because of the nib.

Sailor's F nib is exactly the opposite of Sailor's M nibs.

Its springy, full of wonderful feedback and very smooth but not too smooth.

And that surpasses everything else for the FP fan.

Which one will I choose ?

For me I choose the MB and not just because I am a MB guy.

I have a real problem with a pen that doesn't have its own identity and I think its time Sailor will give us a new and exciting design for their bread and butter pen, something that compliment this amazing nib.

I would also add the CC filler as I tend not to use these pens but since there is a 1911 with a piston filler then I will have to get one.

I am afraid that a 1911 with a piston filler the 146 will find its even harder to win my heart.

Edited by goodguy

Respect to all

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• goodguy

• mitz009

• 1000km

• Parkman

That's a strong viewpoint you've got there. I fully agree that the 1911 should have it's own distinctive look.

Why not get the Sailor Professional Gear if you're looking for a different look?

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Excellent comparison, thanks.

And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

Why not get the Sailor Professional Gear if you're looking for a different look?

Do they make the Professional Gear with a piston filler ?

Edited by goodguy

Respect to all

I don't really think its a replica. I mean, how much change can you do to a black and gold design?

Aurora's modern 88 has a pretty distinctive take on the black and gold design.

Do they make the Professional Gear with a piston filler ?

I'm pretty sure they don't.

Edited by dannzeman

Wait for a KOP piston filler---that's what I'm doing!!! I don't use my Sailors anymore--i was in love with them for a while but they are TOO smooth for me to draw with--I wind up skating on the paper!

www.stevelightart.com

Wait for a KOP piston filler---that's what I'm doing!!! I don't use my Sailors anymore--i was in love with them for a while but they are TOO smooth for me to draw with--I wind up skating on the paper!

I cannot stand slippery smooth nibs either! They are not only hard to control, they feel featureless, lifeless.

I don't really think its a replica. I mean, how much change can you do to a black and gold design?

TAke a look at the nibs.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/jelb/4nibs.jpg

Which two go together? :P

Very nice review, goodguy! I think you are spot on. However, I would pick the Sailor for another reason that you don't mention - the 1911 is a lot less expensive than the MB.

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Sailor Profit "B" nib running Van Dieman's Night - Shooting Star

The derivative design is one of the reasons I don't have, and probably never will have, a 1911. When I do get a Sailor I suspect it'll be a King Pro Gear.

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

The derivative design is one of the reasons I don't have, and probably never will have, a 1911. When I do get a Sailor I suspect it'll be a King Pro Gear.

Well you cant go wrong with a KOP pro or no pro.

Respect to all

TAke a look at the nibs.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/jelb/4nibs.jpg

Which two go together? :P

And which two look the most pleasing? I actually prefer the Sailor design the most, even if it is a near carbon copy.

Well you cant go wrong with a KOP pro or no pro.

Yeah, I'd consider the KOP, too, but I find the Pro Gear shape a bit more appealing.

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

TAke a look at the nibs.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/jelb/4nibs.jpgWhich two go together? :P

I like the pelikans nib, that pelikan appears to be floating on a river of gold

I'm a little hot potato right meow

"no they are not making littler ponies, they are EMBRACING"

I opened a box of cheerios and planted them. I thought they were doughnut seeds. They didn't sprout :( (joke of the week)

Thank you for this much needed comparison. Personally it bothers me that the 1911 is such a blatant copy of the 146. I would prefer to own the original.

My local B&M store told me that the Sailor 1911 was released prior to the MB Meisterstuck line. And as such, stated that the Meisterstuck is a copy of the Sailor line.... He said this with a straight face. You should have seen his face fall when I produced a 146 from the case in my pocket. I know the Meisterstuck line in its modern form started in/around 1952. When did the Sailor 1911 line hit the market? Just curious so I can wave the BS flag proudly the next time I hear such a claim.

That all said, the 1911 is a great pen, I love the Music nib on mine... But like Goodguy, I would prefer my 146 based on piston filler alone.

Edited by OiRogers

I prefer the 146 over the 1911, the 1911 with the piston filler has a small ink capacity and the nib is not really better than a MB 146 nib when it is perfectly adjusted.

Edited by georges zaslavsky

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

i don't like any pen that resembles a MB!

... what?... no, i never said that... :embarrassed_smile:

thanx for the comrarison Goodguy!