Calling all Fellowship Pen Owners

winedoc

This is a terrible question! It has made me realize that I value the limited production run. When I show the Fellowship pen (I call it Basho) to others, part of what I say is, "Only 60 were made," and try to explain the special circumstances of how it came to be.

I feel some dismay that my knee-jerk reaction wasn't an unequivocal "Fellowship pens for everyone!" I don't know why it makes a difference, the first batch of 60 versus a theoretical endless supply of batches (because you know there will always be someone who wants to extend the limit because they weren't ready).

I'm on the fence on this question. I'm leaning toward agreement with Kiavonne and VPN, but I'm feeling tugged in the other direction, too. What is the value of my Basho? What does fellowship mean? What does limited edition mean?

Forgive my hyperbole, but what makes van Gogh's The Starry Night special? What if we could all own one? Would the value be diluted if we all did? The value to whom?

Moreover, the Danitrio Fellowship -- the sentiment, not the pen -- is extended to those who appreciate Danitrio fountain pens, any or all of them, not just the Fellowship pen. I qualified when I purchased the Komori several months before production on the Fellowship pen began. The Fellowship pen is not a prerequisite for Danitrio fellowship (camaraderie).

Asking questions like these makes it easier to go by the original contract, as it were. "This is how many pens will be produced, based on commitment, not desire."

It's a tough question, though.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jlepens

• Doug C

• reprieve

• Siv

+1 for Kiavonne's post.

And option two, which is a new fellowship pen of a different design, is not a bad thought.

Edited by jpr

Ah, that fresh ink on paper look!

While I have several Danitrio's, I did not get a fellowship pen, due to the cost and timing. I still don't know if that was a mistake on my part.

I was actually going to suggest something like Kevin's Option #2, both to let others get a "special" pen, while preserving the uniqueness of the original design for the original members.

No matter what happens, I'll live with and accept whatever Kevin decides. If a new pen is offered, I'd have to seriously think about ordering one, although it would not be a 100% certainty that I would.

I am not a Danitrio Fellowship Pen owner. But I am interested in this subject.

Is a second pen possible, using design similarities with the Fellowship Pen and contrasting features, too (perhaps a slightly different color and some changes to the artwork)?

This has made me wonder how much appeal is due to limited availability, for me?

When I think of pens that I admire (both those I own and those I would love to own), and that have limited availability (either no longer in production or LE's), I'm not sure how much of my admiration is due to scarcity.

I look at the colors in my three favorite pens (this week)--a Stipula Volterra, a Dani Takumi Tamenuri, and an early Delta Pompeii, and get such a thrill. For me, the pleasure is in the moment, just as it is when I look at a sunrise (today's) or sunset. Scarcity does not add nor diminish this enjoyment.

But when I pause and reflect, considering these sorts of experiences, limitation does add to their value, for me. The actual aesthetics of the initial experience are one thing, and the secondary reflection is another (for me). I don't parse my life in this manner, but Kevin's question has got me thinking. Thank you!

If I had purchased a Fellowship Pen, I don't think I would mind a second run for other folks (or current owners who want another). I think it goes along with the spirit of, "fellowship." I guess, for me, its a matter of understanding and valuing fellowship as something that is welcoming rather than a matter of exclusivity. That's just my thought this morning--it might change tomorrow and its not meant as a criticism of others here, in any way.

And had I purchased a Fellowship Pen and in all likelihood, were I to love it, I would probably want to buy a second in another iteration (clip instead of clipless, silver instead of gold, etc.). So, for me in this instance, a second batch would be a delight.

Having a Great Morning,

Mike

p.s.--Would the Stipula Bernini be as appealing if a few more were made, I say, "yes" :-) and thanks again!

"All men [sic] of whatsoever quality they be, who have done anything of excellence, or which may properly resemble excellence, ought, if they are persons of truth and honesty, to describe their life with their own hand; but they ought not to attempt so fine an enterprise till they have passed the age of forty. This duty occurs to my own mind, now that I am trevelling beyond the term of fifty-eight years, . . . I am now more free . . . . " Cellini

If a gen II (or more) version of this was made, there are several issues associated with this:

-Not unlike the FPN pen, and annual Bexley Owner's club pens, there is a tendancy to see them as a little less special with each iteration.

-If I remember correctly Danitrio was caught up in the moment as were we all, and they really did give us a special price. I'm not sure that would happen again so it might result in a pen that costs $1500, killing off the potential buyers.

-Lastly Kevin, I remember the stress you went through in making this happen. Sure you want to do that again?

-If there were to be one, I would go the other way and have maybe a raw ebonite with a kanji; something completely different that doesnt try to be the poor cousin of the Fellowship pen. Then again, that wouldnt really address the request for the people that are asking for an increase in the edition of #1.

the Danitrio Fellowship

I admit it's so difficult to be very honest with myself to try to solve this problem.

I have so many friends here that I'd like not to be egoist but ....

Like the words of Lisa (ethernautrix) if I buy a painting, its value depends from how many of them were made.

For value I do not only mean the money value, but the complete and long process wich involved many of us.

We all decided how to make that pen.

I think it's a good idea not to produce more Basho's FPN Pens.

My opinion is that if Kevin wants to give a chance to own a really great piece of art to other people, he could try to ask Danitrio to make an FPN pen number 2 or something like that.

I wrote the "Penna magazine" review not thinking about a different number of pieces worldwide.

post-24335-1241092646.jpg

69 th D a n i t r i o F e l l o w s h i p p e r - Montblanc WE Lover - NAMIKI addicted

http://www.pennamagazine.com

Thank you everyone for your valuable inputs. I would not dare making decision on my own without consulting members of this Fellowship, as that will not be the spirit of the Fellowship, and render it meaningless to have one. I am grateful that all of you are able to state your opinions in a very civil way. It is true, although there are 120+ members in the Fellowship, but only 60 are able to afford the pens at the time despite dropping the price as much as possible (without suffering on quality). I am very awared that even at the priced offered initially, with economic down turns, it is just too difficult for some folks.

The Fellowship has spoken, and this edition will be closed forever at total of 60 pens... and no more. I am sure somewhere down the line we might get that spontaneous energy again to create another edition. When that time comes, I'll be more than happy to do it all over again. I don't want to come out with an edition, just for the sake of doing it, then it will become meaningless as many have stated.

I, now will conclude our first online Fellowship meeting. Thank you for your participations.

All for one and one for all!.... wait, that's 3 musketeers. LOL.

My "Preccciousss"... wait, that's different Fellowship :-)

Best,

Kevin

To Cross The Rubicon

Internet Pens

Thank you everyone for your valuable inputs. I would not dare making decision on my own without consulting members of this Fellowship, as that will not be the spirit of the Fellowship, and render it meaningless to have one. I am grateful that all of you are able to state your opinions in a very civil way. It is true, although there are 120+ members in the Fellowship, but only 60 are able to afford the pens at the time despite dropping the price as much as possible (without suffering on quality). I am very awared that even at the priced offered initially, with economic down turns, it is just too difficult for some folks.

The Fellowship has spoken, and this edition will be closed forever at total of 60 pens... and no more. I am sure somewhere down the line we might get that spontaneous energy again to create another edition. When that time comes, I'll be more than happy to do it all over again. I don't want to come out with an edition, just for the sake of doing it, then it will become meaningless as many have stated.

I, now will conclude our first online Fellowship meeting. Thank you for your participations.

Best,

Kevin

Well spoken Kevin.

Now that it is decided, I have a Danitrio Fellowship pen for sale at only $6500.

Kidding...

the Danitrio Fellowship

Best,

Kevin

Well spoken Kevin.

Now that it is decided, I have a Danitrio Fellowship pen for sale at only $6500.

Kidding...

:ninja:

Joi - The Way of the Japanese Pen

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3664/3387580367_f8a1a5c1df.jpg

I have a Danitrio Fellowship pen for sale at only $6500.

Bah - you can have mine for $6499

:ph34r:

Joi - The Way of the Japanese Pen

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3664/3387580367_f8a1a5c1df.jpg

Kevin,

Thank you for bringing this up for discussion, for taking our input seriously, and for making a decision.

I appreciate your dedication to the Fellowship.

Kevin,

Thank you for bringing this up for discussion, for taking our input seriously, and for making a decision.

+1! Well said!

Kevin,

Brava--my thoughts exactly, MARYJ! Thanks for putting them in a post, too. Kudos to Kevin for his usual excellence.

mike

"All men [sic] of whatsoever quality they be, who have done anything of excellence, or which may properly resemble excellence, ought, if they are persons of truth and honesty, to describe their life with their own hand; but they ought not to attempt so fine an enterprise till they have passed the age of forty. This duty occurs to my own mind, now that I am trevelling beyond the term of fifty-eight years, . . . I am now more free . . . . " Cellini

I just saw this thread for the first time and couldn't agree more with Kevin's final decision. I treasure the Fellowship pen and look forward to the time when we cajole him into making Edition 2!

Kevin, if you should undertake this process again, I would like to be #1 on the list.

Kevin--I didn't find this thread until the decision had already been made, but as a Fellowship member and owner of a Fellowship pen, I'm glad you made the decision to let the number and edition stand as is.

I too just found this topic and missed the meeting :crybaby:

FWIW: I agree with Kevin's decision and if there is another Fellowship Pen, I hope I'm in a position to purchase it.

+1 on the kudos for Kevin and all the work he put into this project - thank you Kevin.

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

I just saw this thread for the first time and couldn't agree more with Kevin's final decision. I treasure the Fellowship pen and look forward to the time when we cajole him into making Edition 2!

Kevin, if you should undertake this process again, I would like to be #1 on the list.

+1 though I sympathise with those that missed out - after all, who wouldn't own one of these beauties if they could?

D A N i T R i O f e l l o w s h i p