Calling all Fellowship Pen Owners

winedoc

I am calling all Danitrio Fellowship Pen Owners to ask you guys and gals for advice. The fellowship pens as you know are all sold out and only 60 of them were made. The pen has appeared in magazine such as Pen World International and Penna magazine (thanks again Alfio). So, thanks all for making this dream a reality. The pens were meant to be exclusive for Danitrio lovers on this board only since the idea generated from here, so the pens were never sold commercially or else where, not even on the other pen boards. This is done through the good graces from Danitrio and other than they made sure the artist Kosetsu san were rewarded for his work, I can assured you there is no large financial gain on my or Danitrio's part. I am glad the project went smoothly and that 99% of you kept your committments, and frankly I am glad the project is done and big rock off my chest.... Well so I thought.

The fact is that I am getting emails and PM requests from new memebers stating it's not fair that they did not get a shot at this because they joined late or missed the initial announcements, and I also have existing owners asking to buy more than one (ie. they have clipless, but also want one with clip etc). So, I need your advice as a group collectively if you own the fellowship pen. Should I open up the edition again but in increment of 5 let's say, meaning must have at least 5 people want them for me to consider making them. Or should I just put this matter to rest and continue to do what I have done which is to politely decline them.

So, if you own one of these fellowship pens, please put your feedback on this matter by responding to this thread. I will not permit PMs or emails on this vote as I think the group's decision should be transparant and I will count out the votes and go with the majority. If you do not yet own this pen and would also like to voice your opinion, then please do so here as well (heh, it's a free country), but please do understand your vote will not be counted but I am sure the fellow members will take the comments into consideration.

Lastly, if you are going to 2010 LA Pen show, please come by to meet the artist of this pen. Mr. Tatsuya Todo (Kosetsu) and Mrs. Todo (Yusai) will both be there and would love to meet as many of you as possible. They will also do demonstration on Sunday. My wine reception to welcome them and all of you will be on Friday night and please PM me for details. Mr. Lynn, the boss of Danitrio will also be there to answer any questions you might have. For those who have chatted with him before, he is extremely accessible and shares his urushi and maki-e knowledge freely. Hope to see many of you soon!

Now, I open this online meeting to THE FELLOWSHIP...

To Cross The Rubicon

Internet Pens

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jlepens

• Doug C

• reprieve

• Siv

I would not deny anyone the enjoyment I have gotten from the Fellowship Pen. However, I think it wise to place some fairly stringent requirements on the expansion to reduce your stress. Set a reasonable number for the new total ( 60 in existence now, maybe an increase of 15 to 40 pens to make the new total 75-100). Payment in full up front or a non-refundable binder of $500.00 USD. If others feel this is a bad idea or too demanding I will gladly yield to their wise counsel. B

Edited by hardyb

The Danitrio Fellowship

Kevin, as you know, I do not own the Fellowship pen. I had one of the original 60 pens on order, but I changed my mind after a different maki-e Danitrio captured my heart. At the time, I could not afford them both. I don't regret that decision--the pen that I have (the Silver Wave) has a lot of meaning for me, and I use it daily and enjoy it immensely. I do regret that I did not take advantage of the layaway plan. I am one of the people who, were there to be a second round of Fellowship pens, would order one in a heartbeat. I know my opinion doesn't technically "count" as far as votes go, but I am going to put it out here anyway.

The Fellowship pen was made to commemorate community and friendship amongst the members of FPN. It is not about having a limited number of highly collectible, highly (monetarily) valuable pens. It is about having a meaningful pen. There are a number of active members here who--for whatever reason--missed out on the Fellowship pen during the first go-around. They are part of this community, and they want to be part of the Fellowship. They want a beautiful, unique Danitrio pen to celebrate that. Obviously, I think there should be a second run.

That said, I do think there has to be an upper ceiling on how many pens you are ultimately willing to commission. 75? 100? 150? I think the pen would lose its value as an objet d'art if there were 2,000 pens floating around. Most importantly, I think the pen would lose its value as a meaningful celebration of community and friendship if there were 2,000 pens floating around the pen community at large. The Fellowship pen should remain limited to FPN members. Preferably active members: there are some collectors who have read about the pen in magazines and would join solely in order to purchase it, and If you want some sort of strict requirement in order to further limit the second edition, activity here might be a good one. Hardyb's idea of requiring payment in full is one I disagree with, as there are almost certainly eligible members who might need to take advantage of Kevin's generous lay-away plan in order to make such a large pen purchase. A lack of liquidity should not be the limiting factor.

I will be following this thread with interest, as I am curious to see what owners of the Fellowship pen think.

I would not deny anyone the enjoyment I have gotten from the Fellowship Pen. However, I think it wise to place some fairly stringent requirements on the expansion to reduce your stress. Set a reasonable number for the new total ( 60 in existence now, maybe an increase of 15 to 40 pens to make the new total 75-100). Payment in full up front or a non-refundable binder of $500.00 USD. If others feel this is a bad idea or too demanding I will gladly yield to their wise counsel. B

I would agree with Hardyb, with the caveat that it seems a bit unfair to not allow people to use your layaway for this pen when (as far as I know) it is still available for others.

Edited by Doug C

the Danitrio Fellowship

Can you imagine the response that Montblanc would give if you asked them to run a couple more pens in a LE run? Of course, these are not Montblanc pens and as they are hand-made, the opportunity to get a few more is more readily available but only through the good graces of Kevin.

I wonder what the response from Danitrio would be if I asked them to make me a raw ebonite pen just because I missed them last time around (and for the same price)? Probably the same response that Montblanc would give.

Personally, I would rather we draw a line and let Kevin have a break and then put efforts into Fellowship Pen 2010 or 2011.

Otherwise just make it a regular production model, have Danitrio sell it in line with their other production models and take the hassle away from Kevin.

I don't see a happy medium of an extra 5 or 10 or 200 as you will always be left with people who are not happy because they didn't get one 1 week/1 month/1 year/10 years after the last one is sold.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2752/4371168844_35ba5fb338.jpg

Danitrio Fellow, Nakaya Nutter, Sailor Sailor (ret), Visconti Venerator, Montegrappa Molester (in training), ConwayStewart Champion & Diplomat #77

The Fellowship pen was made to commemorate community and friendship amongst the members of FPN. It is not about having a limited number of highly collectible, highly (monetarily) valuable pens.

I don't know if this statement is correct and hopefully someone will set me straight if I'm wrong. The Fellowship was a group of people who owned/admired Danitrio pens. The pen was offered to that group to commemorate that. Hence the name Danitrio Fellowship Pen. Anyone could have joined that group and had their name put on the "want" list. In fact, I'm surprised that for as many people on the list, only a fraction took advantage of getting a pen even with Kevin's generous lay away offer.

Frankly, I enjoy having a limited production pen. Myself, if I even thought this was going to turn into a production pen I probably wouldn't have ordered one. I'm sorry this sounds so selfish but I vote to close the run at the original 60.

JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

The Fellowship pen was made to commemorate community and friendship amongst the members of FPN. It is not about having a limited number of highly collectible, highly (monetarily) valuable pens.

I don't know if this statement is correct and hopefully someone will set me straight if I'm wrong. The Fellowship was a group of people who owned/admired Danitrio pens. The pen was offered to that group to commemorate that. Hence the name Danitrio Fellowship Pen. Anyone could have joined that group and had their name put on the "want" list. In fact, I'm surprised that for as many people on the list, only a fraction took advantage of getting a pen even with Kevin's generous lay away offer.

Frankly, I enjoy having a limited production pen. Myself, if I even thought this was going to turn into a production pen I probably wouldn't have ordered one. I'm sorry this sounds so selfish but I vote to close the run at the original 60.

We essentially agree. It is just a question of how limited is "limited." There are 120 people on the Fellowship members list (according to the pinned topic at the top of this subforum). There were only 60 Fellowship pens made. You do the math. Now obviously there has to be an upper ceiling--not everyone who wants a pen will get one. So: is 60 enough? 75? 100? When do you put your foot down and say "this is it"? Maybe the edition will remain at 60. But I'm glad Kevin at least raised the topic.

The other option would be... option 2...

Option 2 would be to have a different edition at some point down the line with different theme and different design. Of course, I would not know the timing for this. I don't want to have an yearly edition just for the sake of having one (or should we?). I think that would defeat the purpose too and lose the meaning of fellowship?

I would like to hear from more members (don't be shy now. LOL). perhaps option 2 is more palatable to others?

Kevin

To Cross The Rubicon

Internet Pens

Option 2 sounds very exciting!!

I have a strong feeling that the Fellowship pen (the Fellowship Pen #1?) was something that came together for various reasons at that particular time, and I'm sorry that some people missed it, but during the ordering period it WAS open to anyone who was willing to make the commitment. I don't think we should try to re-make that opportunity for others, but making fresh opportunities for old and new Fellowship members is a very happy idea.

Danitrio Fellowship

As a very happy Fellowship Pen user, I would have no problem if more pens were made.

The pens are not numbered, right? Mine is not.

Option 2 is not bad either, maybe an even better tack to take.

Whatever it is, I'm against it!

-Grouch Marx as Prof. Quincy Adams Wagstaff

I may come across as a bit of a negative personality here - but Kevin asked for honest opinions and here is mine!

Although I think I am generous - I bought my Fellowship pen because of the group that was involved, not for the group extras who may come along later..........and because it was limited to 60. If the pen becomes available to how ever many new people it loses its exclusivity for me - and I will gladly sell mine rather than have a pen that started out as one thing and evolved into something else.

I love my "Haiku" and use it every day..........but as others have said - would other makers keep adding?

Would others really accept that because our 60 pens were not numbered they could end up being 'one of 160'?

If I've been too negative, it often helps in an argument to take things to the extreme to see the sense in the middle ground.

I don't want to exclude people from the pleasure of having a DT FPN Fellowship pen at all, but I do agree that maybe a second version - not copying this pen - be made for another group of DT Lovers.

I apologise in advance if I've offended anyone - just my view.

Each day is the start of the rest of your life!

Make it count!!!

I am a Danitrio owner who really wanted to get the Fellowship pen, but at the time simply wasn't able to. I am really sad that I missed this opportunity and wish that things could have gone differently. I would love to have one of the original pens.

Having said that, I completely understand the point of view that it would be unfair to expand the limited edition, and I do not expect extra pens to be made just because I missed the opportunity. Fair is fair and I had my chance.

One potential solution I see that might allow the expansion of the edition number without devaluing the LE status, is to go back to the original number of members who signed up - that is, the original expected edition number. As I recall, it was considerably more than 60, was it not? We could go back to that number and announce that more pens will be made, but that original number of members is the final definitive number of the 1st edition. Just a thought.

I've had a little time to think and quite frankly, I think my opinion of whether there should be more or no more of the fellowship pen should be ignored.

Kevin, you put in the vast majority of the work and took all the financial risk. It's your baby more than anyone else and you can do with it what you like. At the end of the day, I enjoyed being part of the fellowship, anticipation and excitement and my pen commemorates that. That emotion and rememberance will not go away just because more pens are made.

In short, Kevin, do what you want!

PS, really would love to see fellowship pen Mark II :)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2752/4371168844_35ba5fb338.jpg

Danitrio Fellow, Nakaya Nutter, Sailor Sailor (ret), Visconti Venerator, Montegrappa Molester (in training), ConwayStewart Champion & Diplomat #77

As an owner of the Fellowship pen I appreciate the planning that went into this design and the excitement and anticipation of watching the pen design and artistic creation come to life. I would ask that this design be retired as Fellowship Pen #1, and if there are enough people interested in supporting a Fellowship Pen #2 design, begin the process again.

This is a difficult area. On one hand, I understand how many feel about having "lost out." I've been there. Fortunately, when this opportunity came knocking, I was in a position to answer.

However, in my opinion, I believe we should let this one be left alone now. When we signed up for the Fellowship, we were signing up to show our support and admiration for some very fine pens made by some very fine artists. That Danitrio took it upon themselves to contact Kevin and propose the Fellowship pen in the first place was a complete and wondrous surprise. The Fellowship was allowed design input, and Kevin and Danitrio left profit behind to keep the cost down for a pen that very much meant something beyond just being another beautiful pen. I was lucky, I was able to get one of these pens and it is indeed very special - a mark of admiration, respect, and friendship. At least, this is how I see it.

Kevin and Danitrio took on quite a load for us without asking for a return, it was done in the spirit of appreciation and acknowledgement of our friendships and fellowships. Will the list grow? I hope so, and I hope there will be lasting bonds within the Fellowship. But I don't feel it quite right to ask that more pens be made now, or even for another Fellowship pen in the near future. Danitrio initiated this one, and they made nothing from it but our continued respect. If another Fellowship pen were to follow, I don't want to ask for it but I'd rather it be something Danitrio would want to do as a special again one day when they are ready and hopefully the Fellowship has remained. I also believe as mentioned before that an "in faith" deposit should be made to ease the burden on Kevin. It is known he purchased these pens out of pocket, right? His layaway plan is extremely generous, but we should not take advantage of him and he should not need to bear the full financial burden for us all for another endeavor as this.

I truly don't want to deny a fabulous pen to anyone. But I also believe the run for this particular edition of a Fellowship pen should stand as is, and let's look to the future without expectations. I do imagine there will be future opportunities if the Fellowship continues, but they'll be their own special events, and more special people will have the opportunity for a special pen, and some of us with the original editions will likely be unable to add the next for one reason or another.

I'm not trying to pretend I'm above anyone else or flaunt because I got the pen and they could not. I'm just trying to look at the overall picture and of how things came about and just why this pen is so special in its limited run.

I hope I haven't upset anyone.

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

Hey guys, just found this one.

Deep Breathe: And mine has been in constant use since I got it.

OK, I remember all the work and time that went into the creation of the Fellowship Pen. All the members chiming in on design and features. It was a very special time and place. And there was consideration for the number to be made. Kevin took a risk on us to come up and purchase all the pens and Danitrio risked with him.

My opinion would be retire Basho's Haiku Pen (that's what I call mine) and when you are ready, start a new design plan.

BUT I would be cool with whatever you and Danitrio decide, Kev.

WOW, this post took me 10 minutes to write. Talk about conflicted!!!!

Joi - The Way of the Japanese Pen

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3664/3387580367_f8a1a5c1df.jpg

This is a difficult area. On one hand, I understand how many feel about having "lost out." I've been there. Fortunately, when this opportunity came knocking, I was in a position to answer.

However, in my opinion, I believe we should let this one be left alone now. When we signed up for the Fellowship, we were signing up to show our support and admiration for some very fine pens made by some very fine artists. That Danitrio took it upon themselves to contact Kevin and propose the Fellowship pen in the first place was a complete and wondrous surprise. The Fellowship was allowed design input, and Kevin and Danitrio left profit behind to keep the cost down for a pen that very much meant something beyond just being another beautiful pen. I was lucky, I was able to get one of these pens and it is indeed very special - a mark of admiration, respect, and friendship. At least, this is how I see it.

Kevin and Danitrio took on quite a load for us without asking for a return, it was done in the spirit of appreciation and acknowledgement of our friendships and fellowships. Will the list grow? I hope so, and I hope there will be lasting bonds within the Fellowship. But I don't feel it quite right to ask that more pens be made now, or even for another Fellowship pen in the near future. Danitrio initiated this one, and they made nothing from it but our continued respect. If another Fellowship pen were to follow, I don't want to ask for it but I'd rather it be something Danitrio would want to do as a special again one day when they are ready and hopefully the Fellowship has remained. I also believe as mentioned before that an "in faith" deposit should be made to ease the burden on Kevin. It is known he purchased these pens out of pocket, right? His layaway plan is extremely generous, but we should not take advantage of him and he should not need to bear the full financial burden for us all for another endeavor as this.

I truly don't want to deny a fabulous pen to anyone. But I also believe the run for this particular edition of a Fellowship pen should stand as is, and let's look to the future without expectations. I do imagine there will be future opportunities if the Fellowship continues, but they'll be their own special events, and more special people will have the opportunity for a special pen, and some of us with the original editions will likely be unable to add the next for one reason or another.

I'm not trying to pretend I'm above anyone else or flaunt because I got the pen and they could not. I'm just trying to look at the overall picture and of how things came about and just why this pen is so special in its limited run.

I hope I haven't upset anyone.

Well thought out post!!!

Joi - The Way of the Japanese Pen

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3664/3387580367_f8a1a5c1df.jpg

I was going to say that I can't imagine why anyone should be denied one of these pens, but after reading Kiavonne's post (well said Kiavonne) I am in agreement with her. The offer was made, some of us were very fortunate to acquire them and I'm truly sorry some weren't. It is not anyone's responsibility to take on such a project again. Let it lie at "good enough". Now having said that, a collector's edition or special edition of whatever is best left at special, and that's what these pens are. If you make another run, I think it should be a different pen.

At Your Service,

Clydesdave

Kiavonne"s post says it all and says it well. The Fellowship Pen was a product of a particular time and set of circumstances.

Please leave it closed at 60 pens.

If there is interest for a new 2010 Edition, let the process unfold on its own and the new design take its own unique shape accordingly.

Kudos again to Kevin - Edition #1 was his brainchild, he made it easy for all to subscribe (even to the point of personally bankrolling the lay-away option), and followed through with delivery and organizing events that owners can participate in. Let us all give Kevin a big "thank you" and a well-deserved break from having to get more Edition #1 pens made. Edition #1 is special because of how it all happened. If there will be an Edition #2, I am sure that it will also be special - but in its own way.

Kiavonne"s post says it all and says it well. The Fellowship Pen was a product of a particular time and set of circumstances.

Please leave it closed at 60 pens.

If there is interest for a new 2010 Edition, let the process unfold on its own and the new design take its own unique shape accordingly.

Kudos again to Kevin - Edition #1 was his brainchild, he made it easy for all to subscribe (even to the point of personally bankrolling the lay-away option), and followed through with delivery and organizing events that owners can participate in. Let us all give Kevin a big "thank you" and a well-deserved break from having to get more Edition #1 pens made. Edition #1 is special because of how it all happened. If there will be an Edition #2, I am sure that it will also be special - but in its own way.

I wish I had said this..........and been able to say so well what Kiavonne said too........I was petulant and for that I apolagise hugely!

I also want to thank Kevin and DaniTrio - Kevin has always been such a super duper person to deal with - and certainly does deserve the biggest Kudos available..........he is a star of the brightest light! Where would we all be without him and his pens..........and his generosity???

Each day is the start of the rest of your life!

Make it count!!!