Should I purchase a Symphony?

camoandconcrete

Hi all,

I have the chance to purchase a brand new straight from the factory Montegrappa Symphony from a fellow FPN professional dealer. Only problem is, the pen is out of my budget by 150 dollars and if I buy this pen I will have broken the bank so to say. So, I ask everyone, what should I do? I would like it, but at the same time don't think it is wise for me to spend so much money right now when I may need that money down the road.

M A S

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• camoandconcrete

• Ghost Plane

• lterry

• bugmd

Top Posters In This Topic

I say go for it, you can easily make back that $150, just don't eat outside for a while

I'm a little hot potato right meow

"no they are not making littler ponies, they are EMBRACING"

I opened a box of cheerios and planted them. I thought they were doughnut seeds. They didn't sprout :( (joke of the week)

Well, you ask a question that really only you can answer. I can share my experiences with the MG Symphony with you however.

First off the celluloid is beautiful, I still have the charcoal gray one and the bright yellow one. Very striking pens. They are very well made. The trim, fit and finish are all excellent. The nibs are the smaller MG nibs and my Med is fairly firm and writes like a medium Pelikan nib, what I consider a true medium. It takes about 4 full rotations to unscrew the cap, that is a bit of a drawback. I do not post the cap and am comfortable with the balance of the pen. They are c/c fillers using standard short international cartridges. Inside the cap, the threaded liner on early production pens was prone to breaking. MG came up with a replacement liner that they can swap if this is an issue on your pen, personally I changed mine with the use of a small Allen driver.

I would personally love to have the red one because it really is a beaut. They are only worth it if they sing to you. I suspect I could sell mine used now for more than I paid for them several years ago.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/bugmd/Pens/P1030382.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/bugmd/Pens/P1030384.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/bugmd/Pens/P1030380.jpg

Nib size compared to the MG Extra nib.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/bugmd/Pens/P1030379.jpg

A. Don's Axiom "It's gonna be used when I sell it, might as well be used when I buy it."

As a person with six of them, I say go for it! They are nice pens and the celluloid looks great.

Don"t break the bank, but remember: price is forgotten long after quality is remembered.

Edited by lterry

"Giving power and money to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."

P.J. O'Rourke

One caveat - out of 2 Extras, a Classica, a Miya, a 300, and a Privilege Deco, all in B nibs except one BB, 3 have needed a trip to nibmeister for draggy, dry nibs. I haven't found them as consistent as MBs or Visconti for out of the box performance. FANTASTIC pens once they're writing wetly, but factor this in before you go way over budget. As you can see, I adore them once they're writing properly.

Well, you ask a question that really only you can answer. I can share my experiences with the MG Symphony with you however.

First off the celluloid is beautiful, I still have the charcoal gray one and the bright yellow one. Very striking pens. They are very well made. The trim, fit and finish are all excellent. The nibs are the smaller MG nibs and my Med is fairly firm and writes like a medium Pelikan nib, what I consider a true medium. It takes about 4 full rotations to unscrew the cap, that is a bit of a drawback. I do not post the cap and am comfortable with the balance of the pen. They are c/c fillers using standard short international cartridges. Inside the cap, the threaded liner on early production pens was prone to breaking. MG came up with a replacement liner that they can swap if this is an issue on your pen, personally I changed mine with the use of a small Allen driver.

I would personally love to have the red one because it really is a beaut. They are only worth it if they sing to you. I suspect I could sell mine used now for more than I paid for them several years ago.

Well this pen really does sing to me. Its been on my mind for weeks. So I may have to go for it.

One caveat - out of 2 Extras, a Classica, a Miya, a 300, and a Privilege Deco, all in B nibs except one BB, 3 have needed a trip to nibmeister for draggy, dry nibs. I haven't found them as consistent as MBs or Visconti for out of the box performance. FANTASTIC pens once they're writing wetly, but factor this in before you go way over budget. As you can see, I adore them once they're writing properly.

I have several Montegrappa's as well - a NeroUno, Emblema, Espressione and a Privilege Deco - and I have found all the nibs to be perfect right out of the box. I guess sometimes its just hit or miss regarding nib performance out of the box, although I shouldn't be for the prices we are paying.

If it's haunting you this much, will you be sorry a year from now if you don't?

I know I'll be sorry a year from know if I don't, but I think I may be able to hold out until the summer. I will be spending six weeks in Paris and will be going to various pen stores and hopefully will be able to find one.