Aurora Optimas: Blue vs Green

pavel

I have the green, and I find it too glitzy for me. Mine is a medium - the nib is fine, but I just can't get past the glitz! IT will be going soon.

Sell away! I will be interested. The green is a gorgeous color and my favorite of all. In fact I like the Sheaffer Opalite and the Stipula Novecento aquamarine which I find all to be a similar color, but the Aurora is my all time favorite with the gold trim. It reminds me of all the various colors of the sea. Only gold trim for me too - all my silver is almost gone.

We can trust the heart of a man by his treatment of animals. - Immanual Kant

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pavel

• eric47

• Doug Add

• jlepens

I have both, plus a Mare and Primavera to round off the blue n green concept.

"Giving power and money to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."

P.J. O'Rourke

The blue one has the old gold trim and the green one has the new gold trim.

I have been thinking of keeping them both, but its unlikely because lately I have been overtaken by pen trading, and to pay for a Dickens or an Arco Paragon, at least one will have to go.

Although at times I do feel greedy and anticipate to stub the broad and keep both.

MicheleB, you're absolutely right! When I put the green to a light, the deep blue sea metaphor came to mind right away.

I have the red Auroloide but would like to add the other colours. Keep both if you can afford to do so, you will only regret the sale later and start searching high and low for a replacement.

I suspect that my next one will be blue.....or black......or green..... whenever I can afford it.

This sounds prophetic. Its always like that. You don't appreciate it when you have it and then miss it when it's gone.

You don't appreciate it when you have it and then miss it when it's gone.

That's why I rarely sell or trade pens -- at least the good ones. :ltcapd:

Anyone becomes mannered if you think too much about what other people think. (Kim Gordon)

I would definitely wait until the blue arrives before making a decision. The blue Optima was my first Aurora and is still one of my favorites. Since then I have acquired the Sole, Mare and Primavera (see below), but still go back to the blue quite often.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q247/wagnerkl_2006/ewf.jpg

I had the blue and the green but sold the blue, even though I generally favor the color blue over green. The green is just so beautiful. Wish I had the red too, but I can't afford another Optima, just because I like its looks. The pen is actually not that comfortable for me to use. I tend to use the 88 more.

(typo edit, as usual!)

Edited by Pengrump

Ken W: those are gorgeous. Look too good.

Pengrump: are optimas and 88s much different in how they site in the hand?

Ken W: those are gorgeous. Look too good.

Pengrump: are optimas and 88s much different in how they site in the hand?

I like the plain black one I bought from nibs.com. I traded my blue one for that.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.pnghttp://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

The Optima is probably the most expensive pen on my list so far (as long as I can stay away from Visconti...) and I'm still pretty torn on which color to get. (No, I'm not going to purchase all three.) The only thing I've convinced myself is that the blue goes better with the chrome (rhodium?) trim rather than gold.

- Jon

The Optima is probably the most expensive pen on my list so far (as long as I can stay away from Visconti...) and I'm still pretty torn on which color to get. (No, I'm not going to purchase all three.) The only thing I've convinced myself is that the blue goes better with the chrome (rhodium?) trim rather than gold.

Really? I like the yellow gold. :D It worked out all right for me -- the 14k yellow gold nib is good one. I had a not-so-pleasant experience with an 18K rhodium nib; but the yellow gold nibs have been good. So I'm staying away from rhodium nibs unless I get to test them first.

Anyone becomes mannered if you think too much about what other people think. (Kim Gordon)