Aurora Optimas: Blue vs Green

pavel

On boxing day I woke up with a horrible hangover. Making my way down stairs to the kitchen was literally a step by step process. I even had to take a break mid-distance. But once I got some water in me, I sat down and realized that nothing in the world could be better for the heart than a beautiful Optima in emerald green auroloide with her elegant lines and beautiful colours. Giving this purchase some more thought was out of the question because my brain was in pain and my soul needed something refined. Going upstairs for the computer was out of the question as well. So I took my iphone and with shaking fingers, I managed to place an order. And then went straight back to bed. A week later I woke up to have the DHL man hand me a large box which was packaged like a Russian doll where you open one just to find a smaller one inside. About 5 boxes later I had the Optima in my hands. The auroloide was beyond my expectations. Beautiful turquoise punctuated by black shadows. The glitter was gorgeous - it sparkled so bright! Before I put the nib to paper I was very satisfied with the pen overall. But when I sat down to write with the B nib, I felt something was off. I mean the nib flowed just as terrific and consistent as a medium Talentum I once had, and had the same delightful feedback. The problem was that despite sitting comfortably in the hand and providing a very satisfying tactile experience, the line was just too broad for me. It turns out that when I ordered a B, I forgot to take in account that all of my larger nibs were stubbed and allowed me to keep my small handwriting legible due to a narrow cross stroke.

Then one fine moment I find myself staring at a one minute old for sale add here on FPN advertising a Blue Auroloide with gold trim and a fine nib for a great price. I frantically sent the PM and then the payment and then came to my senses and realized that now I will have two auroloides on my hands. But what really scared me was the unexpected. I mean when I received the emerald green, I realized that the colour really can not be captured in any picture, and no matter how much I gaze into the depth of my computer monitor, I still have no clue what to expect from the blue auroloide which I am waiting for in the mail.

My anxiety is leading me to imagine 4 outcomes:

A) Swap nibs and keep the green

B) Sell green and keep blue

C) Keep both

D) Give up the auroloide life of glitter and glamour and buy something more sober and serious like a MB Dickens

Only time will tell.

But for now I am curious about your impressions of the two colours. Which one do you find more desireable?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pavel

• eric47

• youstruckgold

• MVice78

I have the green, and I find it too glitzy for me. Mine is a medium - the nib is fine, but I just can't get past the glitz! IT will be going soon.

The rung of a ladder was never meant to rest upon, but only to hold a man's foot long enough to enable him to put the other somewhat higher - Thomas Huxley

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

But glitz suits you! Soki xx

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y331/fuchsiaprincess/Fuchsiaprincess_0001.jpg http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/036/2/2/Narnia_Flag_by_Narnia14.gif

Maybe I should be glad I have the black and gold trim Optima?

But glitz suits you! Soki xx

Hurroompf!huh.gif

The rung of a ladder was never meant to rest upon, but only to hold a man's foot long enough to enable him to put the other somewhat higher - Thomas Huxley

I am: elegant, sophisticated, glamorous detailing yet beguilingly sober with what to my mind seems a very subtle purple to the deep black. The gold is tonal, not too bright, which gives it a warmth and comfort to write with during the northern hemispherical winter.

Roger

Magnanimity & Pragmatism

At least A).

I have the Optima FP as the Sole only, but do have the BP as Sole and green, and I also had a blue one.

I find the green Auroloide beautiful, while the blue was too artificially intensly coloured. I gave the later to my father.

I am: elegant, sophisticated, glamorous detailing yet beguilingly sober with what to my mind seems a very subtle purple to the deep black. The gold is tonal, not too bright, which gives it a warmth and comfort to write with during the northern hemispherical winter.

I doubt I could have said it better...

I've got the green one and I love the way it shines.

The nib is a medium, and it's a great realiable pen for everday use if that's your fancy.

Cheers,

Miguel

I prefer the green and would go for A or C. Swapping nibs in them takes thirty seconds, if that, so not really an issue.

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

I have the green and love pictures of the other colors. I would keep both and be looking for a red one! :embarrassed_smile:

But that's just me and I dream a lot that I am wealthy :cloud9: .

Full Disclosure: I am so far from wealthy that it is not funny! :roflmho:

Joi - The Way of the Japanese Pen

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3664/3387580367_f8a1a5c1df.jpg

If you can afford it, I would keep both. You can exchange the broad nib for a medium, or trade with someone. I have the blue, green, and red auroloide Optimas. The green one is my favorite color of the three, but would hate to part with any of them.

By the way, I am also a long way from wealthy. The total I paid for all three of mine is $150 less than the current retail price of a single auroloide Optima fountain pen.

I have that too with an Oblique Medium nib from JM and it's one of my favorite writers.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.pnghttp://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

If you can afford it, I would keep both. You can exchange the broad nib for a medium, or trade with someone. I have the blue, green, and red auroloide Optimas. The green one is my favorite color of the three, but would hate to part with any of them.

By the way, I am also a long way from wealthy. The total I paid for all three of mine is $150 less than the current retail price of a single auroloide Optima fountain pen.

Wow, lucky person!

I never see these great deals you guys get. Well except for Bryant and Winedoc!

Edited by jlepens

Joi - The Way of the Japanese Pen

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3664/3387580367_f8a1a5c1df.jpg

Both Blue are Green are nice to me. May I suggest try keeping both.

However, I have neither.

My Aurora Optima and Aurora 88 are in sterling silver ( with gold trim). I am content with my copies.

Why the rush? Why not wait until you have them both and then decide?

I like both, but I own and prefer the blue. But I like blue as a color more than green anyway, so that's not a huge surprise. If I had both and could only keep one, I choose the blue. But nothing's really stopping you from keeping them both. You can eventually try trading the B nib for something else.

BTW I like the regular Optima blue (older production/band) more than the LE Mare; I like darker vibrant blue of the non-LE.

Edited by eric47

Anyone becomes mannered if you think too much about what other people think. (Kim Gordon)

Wow, lucky person!

I never see these great deals you guys get. Well except for Bryant and Winedoc!

Just keep looking. I spent several years seeking a blue Optima that I could afford. Finally found one for sale on Pentrace. Of course all these pens have been used by others before I got them, but were in excellent condition. One was a salesman's demo pen, the other two from pen users who were ready for something else.

I have the red Auroloide but would like to add the other colours. Keep both if you can afford to do so, you will only regret the sale later and start searching high and low for a replacement.

I suspect that my next one will be blue.....or black......or green..... whenever I can afford it.

Iechyd da pob Cymro

I prefer the green. It has more variation yet it is more subtle and subdued. It has a feel of mystery to it. The blue is very blue indeed. But it is also a very nice color, although if I ever got one, I would opt for the silver trim. I think goes better with the intense blue.

Btwy, which cap band did you get, the old one with plane black lines or the new one with the Greek motif lines?