Top Posters In This Topic

• Michael R.

• drifting

• carlc

• Ondina

wow, I agree, the shading is very interesting, thanks for posting this review

I'm a little hot potato right meow

"no they are not making littler ponies, they are EMBRACING"

I opened a box of cheerios and planted them. I thought they were doughnut seeds. They didn't sprout :( (joke of the week)

wow, I agree, the shading is very interesting, thanks for posting this review

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn140/PENSnINKS/Inks/Sailordetail.jpg

The true nature of the shading is hard to capture with a scan; I'll try to post a photograph which might be able to show it better.

Michael

Thanks for sharing, nice review.

And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

I know some people like this color but to be honest, for me it's not nice.

Great review!

Edited by bossy

Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right

to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers,

and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie. Revelation 22:14-15

THANK YOU!

This is my preferred shade of green ink and I am so glad that Sailor is making it just when MB is discontinuing theirs. Must have. Where did you get it?... I didn't think these were available yet outside Japan.

THANK YOU!

This is my preferred shade of green ink and I am so glad that Sailor is making it just when MB is discontinuing theirs. Must have. Where did you get it?... I didn't think these were available yet outside Japan.

It is not a perfect match of the MB Racing Green but very nice.

I bought mine directly from Japan (ebay seller: engeika).

Cheers

Michael

This may be due to my monitor but there seems to be resemblance to Diamine Teal - Michael with your eye is the similarity still there 'in the flesh' so to speak? Actually on review it looks like a a darker version of R&K Alt Goldgrun.

The reason I ask is these inks are expensive to import to the UK and I have the Diamine and the R&K so buying a bottle of ink that is similar would be a disappointment - but I do like the colour and I imagine the shading is very good - this range seems to have some inks that have lovely shading (at least in the reviews) - but is it worth the expense?

Carl

"Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch" Orson Welles

... but there seems to be resemblance to Diamine Teal

Not really; Diamine Teal is a much more turquoise green ink

- Michael with your eye is the similarity still there 'in the flesh' so to speak? Actually on review it looks like a a darker version of R&K Alt Goldgrun.

Tokiwa Mat has a slight golden metallic surface effect when written on paper using a pen with a wet ink flow (similar to heavy pigmented blue inks having a purple-red metallic effect) which can remind you of the color of R&K Alt Goldgrün. But with the Goldgrün it's the ink color itself which has the golden-green color; with Tokiwa Mat it is just a metallic surface effect which shows the golden-green color if you look at a certain angle at it.

...so there are similarities but also differences.

Otherwise it is a dark green with nice shading and olive and turquoise green tones at the same time.

but is it worth the expense?

Carl

Can't speak for you but to me it was worth it. The effects I see and try to describe are there but maybe not as obvious as many may hope.

I can write you a snail if you let me know your address via PM.

Cheers

Michael

- Michael with your eye is the similarity still there 'in the flesh' so to speak? Actually on review it looks like a a darker version of R&K Alt Goldgrun.

Tokiwa Mat has a slight golden metallic surface effect when written on paper using a pen with a wet ink flow (similar to heavy pigmented blue inks having a purple-red metallic effect) which can remind you of the color of R&K Alt Goldgrün. But with the Goldgrün it's the ink color itself which has the golden-green color; with Tokiwa Mat it is just a metallic surface effect which shows the golden-green color if you look at a certain angle at it.

...so there are similarities but also differences.

That's a great description of the surface sheen on this ink, Michael. I actually don't see it often, except on swatches. carlc, you can see a shot of the Tokiwa Matsu/Evergreen next to Alt Goldgrün (and MB Racing Green) in the quick look I posted in the Ink Scans sub-forum a while back.

This ink has quickly become one of my favorites, and has got me thinking about ordering some of those Sailor department store exclusives on Rakuten.

Ryan.

THANK YOU!

Swisher has it in the US. (They have it listed as Tokiwa Mastu, which must be a typo, considering it takes you to some very different places than Tokiwa Matsu when googled :headsmack: :embarrassed_smile: )

Ryan.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn140/PENSnINKS/Inks/DarkGreen.jpg

Michael, I was just about to tell you I was envious of your collection of dark greens, until I realized that with the exception of the Schilfgrün, I have them all. :headsmack:

Ryan (who is still impressed with your collection of grays in the MB Oyster thread)

Ryan

I'm not sure if the scan does it justice - it looks like it's midway between MB Racing Green and R&K Alt Goldgrun - maybe it's my monitor or maybe the 'sheen' doesn't show on scans.

Thanks for the link though.

Carl

"Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch" Orson Welles

I have this also, (from Engeika) and I too see the gold in it, although I'm not sure I like it. Still trying to get used to it. Its a shame there's no comparison on the scan to PR Avacado, which I think is nearest to Evergreen. Although a rather troublesome ink, Avacado has always remained my fav green.

I'm not sure if the scan does it justice - it looks like it's midway between MB Racing Green and R&K Alt Goldgrun - maybe it's my monitor or maybe the 'sheen' doesn't show on scans.

No, it doesn't really: of my three monitors, only the brand new MacBook Pro brings out the differences enough that I think I can see the sheen. I should have separated my comments to you and Michael a bit - I didn't mean to imply you can see the sheen well in my scan, just that I had a direct comparison to the Alt Goldgrün. I'd say Tokiwa Matsu is much more than midway toward the MBRG, but with a yellow undertone (apart from the sheen, even) that really makes it look like a natural evergreen - almost exactly like the balsam fir we had over the holidays.

Ryan.

• 3 months later...

This may be due to my monitor but there seems to be resemblance to Diamine Teal - Michael with your eye is the similarity still there 'in the flesh' so to speak? Actually on review it looks like a a darker version of R&K Alt Goldgrun.

The reason I ask is these inks are expensive to import to the UK and I have the Diamine and the R&K so buying a bottle of ink that is similar would be a disappointment - but I do like the colour and I imagine the shading is very good - this range seems to have some inks that have lovely shading (at least in the reviews) - but is it worth the expense?

Carl

Two views I agree with: it looks as a dark R&K Alt Goldgrün to me as well but interesting enough to wish to test it. And Sailor inks distribution is a true mystery, and certainly awful in some parts of the world, and not worth the expense.