Visconti B nibs

carlc

I've been through all the reviews of Visconti pens and several pages of this section of the forum and though I can find nothing but praise for broad Visconti nibs - I can't find any information on how wide they actually write.

Anyone give me a steer on this? I'm thinking of getting a van Gogh maxi with a B steel nib (I already have one with a medium). I like the medium but it's quite thin (almost on a par with my Talentum) and I'd like something with a bit more 'meat' on it but not too broad because then my writing falls apart.

My experience of Italian pens is limited to the two already mentioned, so if you'd relate the information to Parker or Lamy or Pelikan nibs I'd be grateful.

Carl

"Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch" Orson Welles

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• carlc

• Silvermink

• kushbaby

• camoandconcrete

I'd definitely be curious to see Visconti B writing samples (especially the Pd broad) in comparison to other Visconti nibs, myself. I'm worried the stub might be too wide for me (it's what I currently have on hold) and the BB doesn't look any narrower, so the B would be the next logical choice, I think.

Not to hijack your thread, but I figured that would benefit both of us. :)

Edited by Silvermink

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

I'd definitely be curious to see Visconti B writing samples (especially the Pd broad) in comparison to other Visconti nibs, myself. I'm worried the stub might be too wide for me (it's what I currently have on hold) and the BB doesn't look any narrower, so the B would be the next logical choice, I think.

Oh no problem :meow: (always wanted to use the cat - no real reason for using it now but what the heck) - definitely could do with a sample - especially now I've found out they don't do broad in steel (which would explian the lack of responses).

There used to be a review with a Visconti B nib (not a Maxi but hey) but the pictures are gone.:(

Someone must have a scan somewhere... (GP - High Priestess of Broad - says she doesn't have the Tech skills to do one)

I have two Visconti pens with Broad nibs. One of them writes with stubbish qualities and the other oblique. They are both very wide lines but I don't know why they exhibit such qualities.

M A S

There is a comparison of a Visconti Broad and a Visconti Medium here.

Excellent, thanks. Their medium's quite fine, then? I thought I heard someone compare it to an Aurora M, which is also on the fine side.

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

I'd say the Visconti medium is half way between a Western medium and a Japanese medium. The broad is about par with a Pelikan broad (and just as smooth and juicy).

Yuki

http://i54.tinypic.com/16jj9fb.jpg

Follow me on twitter! @crypticjunky

~And the words, they're everything and nothing. I want to search for her in the offhand remarks.~

I have the Pd nibs in XF, F, B, BB, and 1.3 stub. I am usually on the spot with a scan of a sample, but my printer/scanner refuses to work even to scan if it's out of ink, so I'm stuck until I make it to Office Depot.

I will comment, though, that to my eye, the stub written line isn't that much bigger than that of the B nib - and that's with the pens loaded with the exact same ink (Herbin Violette Pensee). The B nib is rounder and faster, and the stub has more line variation. I love both (boy is that B smooth and fast), but if I were pressed and was forced to choose only one (and I wasn't trying to crank out a lot of manuscript pages like Ghost Plane), I'd choose the stub. :cloud9:

If I can get the scanner to behave I'll post a sample tomorrow.

:D

Edit: Sorry, I reread the actual OP, and it's related to a Van Gogh Maxi (oops!). I have a Van Gogh Midi with a gold B nib - I love it!!!! You won't regret it!

Digging out my pen records...

::::dig, dig, dig::::

OK, to my eye, the Van Gogh B nib line width is between the Pelikan M and B (maybe closer to the B - depends on which Pelikan and how wet). Hope that helps...

Edited by kushbaby

Kushbaby

I like eating peanuts with chopsticks...

I have the Pd nibs in XF, F, B, BB, and 1.3 stub. I am usually on the spot with a scan of a sample, but my printer/scanner refuses to work even to scan if it's out of ink, so I'm stuck until I make it to Office Depot.

I will comment, though, that to my eye, the stub written line isn't that much bigger than that of the B nib - and that's with the pens loaded with the exact same ink (Herbin Violette Pensee). The B nib is rounder and faster, and the stub has more line variation. I love both (boy is that B smooth and fast), but if I were pressed and was forced to choose only one (and I wasn't trying to crank out a lot of manuscript pages like Ghost Plane), I'd choose the stub. :cloud9:

If I can get the scanner to behave I'll post a sample tomorrow.

I'd definitely like to see the Pd comparative sample.

Cheers.

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Excellent, thanks. Their medium's quite fine, then? I thought I heard someone compare it to an Aurora M, which is also on the fine side.

Ah - that was me - but that was a comparison with a Steel medium nib not gold. I have seen posts that say the gold medium is actually quite wide.

Carl

Ah - that was me - but that was a comparison with a Steel medium nib not gold. I have seen posts that say the gold medium is actually quite wide.

Carl

I have a 14k medium and it's on the finer side.

Yuki

http://i54.tinypic.com/16jj9fb.jpg

Follow me on twitter! @crypticjunky

~And the words, they're everything and nothing. I want to search for her in the offhand remarks.~

Carl

I have a 14k medium and it's on the finer side.

Yuki

Oho! The age old discussion on 'standardisation' of nib width classification raises it's ugly head again!

But wait! - I rechecked and interestingly the post stated they were talking about a steel nib and as far as I can tell the poster hadn't used the nib - post is here (number 20) - apologies and I bow to the wisdom of Yuki.

Carl

Okay, comparison of my Bs - broader than my YoLs, Delta, and Marlen. Equal to my Krone, Montegrappa, Montblanc, Conklin LEs. Help any?

Okay, comparison of my Bs - broader than my YoLs, Delta, and Marlen. Equal to my Krone, Montegrappa, Montblanc, Conklin LEs. Help any?

Speaking for myself - I have none of the above, alas.

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Carl

I don't know if you are talking about my review or not but, that was a gold medium versus a gold broad.

Speaking for myself - I have none of the above, alas.

Me neither - but I may have a broad on the way (long story) in which case I can do a comparison with other pens I have.

GP - thanks for trying - I'm sure others will find the data useful.

Carl

I don't know if you are talking about my review or not but, that was a gold medium versus a gold broad.

MAS

I saw that and it was very useful scan thank you - but no, the comments are not regarding your review - to be honest I have read so many Visconti reviews recently I have lost track of where half the comments I have seen are.

Carl

OK, I've made a nice cuppa (was pleased to find PG Tips tea at World Market here in the States recently), and have settled in for some writing samples. The first is a comparison of the Visconti palladium nibs that I have (just missing a medium). Yes, it's scary that I have all of those pens (and all inked and in use!). The second is some fun I had with my broad-nibbed beauties currently inked - perhaps it will be of some use in comparisons. I have to say, that modern 149 B has the hugest, stubbiest B nib I've ever seen. It's equivalent to the Visconti stub!

Enjoy!

(edit to fix typo)

http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/vv327/kushbaby_pics/Viscontipalladiumnibsampler.jpg

http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/vv327/kushbaby_pics/Bnibbedbeauties.jpg

Edited by kushbaby

Kushbaby

Thanks! Yeah, I see the B and the 1.3 are pretty similar...

The XF seems like a fairly wide XF?

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Thanks! Yeah, I see the B and the 1.3 are pretty similar...

The XF seems like a fairly wide XF?

Yep, that's a fair assessment. I think the XFs run a wee bit wide (I checked, wider than a Pelikan M1000 XF, wider by a smidge than a Montegrappa Miya XF, and about the same as a Stipula Etruria F). But I think some of it is also that these nibs are pretty wet, leading to them writing wider.

Kushbaby