Visconti Divina Maxi over a MB 149

EricB

I've been drooling over the black Divina ever since I first seen one and have been wondering how they compare to the MB 149. I have a MB 149 and like it quite a lot, but I'm thinking of putting it up for sale so I can buy the Divina. Should I, or am I better off keeping what I have and backing slowly out of the Italian section???:unsure:

Looking for Vintage Conway Stewart pens in blue marble to buy or trade.....

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EricB

• Ghost Plane

• bugmd

• Silvermink

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmm. Honestly, they're both really nice pens. I think the Divina Maxi would have a slight edge for me, but it's a close thing.

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

I do not have the black one, but size is same,

MB is bit fatter than Divina, closed them shows same lenght.

Retail price in Italy is similar, Visconti is more expensive of about 150.00 Euro

If you can I suggest to buy the Divina and keep the 149,

both great pens that can live together in same pocket.

S

http://i47.tinypic.com/2rmqot4.jpg

http://i50.tinypic.com/2i0uhi.jpg

http://i47.tinypic.com/2vuyhoz.jpg

Do you have vintage AURORA or WILLIAMSON,

italian WWII militaria for sale or trade? Please contact me.

Looking for 1950'S AURORA 88?

Other vintage italian pens?

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a624/z900it/zona900eb_zpsc3413dc2.jpgHere's the Answer! www.zona900.com

This time last year I could afford to keep the 149 and but the Divina, but my unemployment limits my pen spending quite considerably. So, I was looking through some of the pens I have and don't use and decided that someone might as well enjoy them if I'm not using them. I think I have enough if I can sell them to buy the Divina new, lol!

Sanpei, I appreciate the pictures, I kinda figured it was that large. That makes my decision even harder!

I have the large Divina with a fine nib and it is very nice. I use mine far more than my 149. They are very different pens so you definitely want to try before you buy. The nib on the Visconti is considerably smaller that the MB149 nib.

A. Don's Axiom "It's gonna be used when I sell it, might as well be used when I buy it."

Both are excellent. The nibs are fantastic, but in very different ways. Make sure you get the black Maxi, not the Midi, as they came in 2 sizes. MB has the longer, larger nib, but the overall package of the Maxi wins for handling somehow. Best of all, see if Bryant can get you the Maxi in a palladium nib and you'll be in for a real treat. :cloud9: The 18k were great, but the flex on the palladium is out of this world. :notworthy1:

GP, et all, how does the ink capacity compare between the two? My 149 is an '80s model and seems to hold quite a lot of ink, but I've heard the power fillers of the Divina's don't hold that much.

Edited by EricB

The 149 holds more, but the Maxis aren't that far behind. It's certainly more than a Montegrappa Extra.

Think of the 149 as your slogging around the house in sweats and eating too much in front of the couch pen, while the Black Divina is your put on your business suit and look decent pen. You can't run as fast or far in your business attire, but there's times it's far more appropriate to the situation than your comfy sweats that hold your extra 10 pounds of holiday fat. :lol:

Edited by Ghost Plane

You're convincing me. Now it's time to put it up for sale and buy a Divina with the palladium nib, in a stub, preferably. I've recently discovered stub nibs and have decided that they're my favorite. The next question is, how much are the new Divinas with the palladium nib? (I may have to sell some Swans too!)

No affiation, but contact Bryant at Pentime.net and look at PrahaBleu on fleabay. These 2 are my favorite money savers :thumbup:

Bryant has access to the palladiums, Praha is still selling the 18k, I think. Bry has STUBS! :cloud9:

Thanks GP, message sent to Bryant. Now to take pics and get my stuff for sale posted on here and hope for the best...:drool:

GP, et all, how does the ink capacity compare between the two? My 149 is an '80s model and seems to hold quite a lot of ink, but I've heard the power fillers of the Divina's don't hold that much.

Remember, the Black Maxi Divina is NOT a plunger/power filler, it is a piston filler. You pull the silver filler knob out and twist just as you would a converter or a Pelikan

A. Don's Axiom "It's gonna be used when I sell it, might as well be used when I buy it."

Remember, the Black Maxi Divina is NOT a plunger/power filler, it is a piston filler. You pull the silver filler knob out and twist just as you would a converter or a Pelikan

I thought the Maxi was a Push and pull touchdown?

Except you don't do the press to release on the end like the Metropolis [which actually turns once it's up]. Mine, you pull back the little doohickey on the end, usually with your fingernails.

Ok, that's what I was thinking. Visconti's website can be a little confusing and I was going by the listing of the pens on the right hand side of the instructions. Isn't Visconti's piston fillers little more than captive converters? I'm thinking that's what the Divina Midi uses, if I'm not mistaken. (And I have been known to on several occasions) That, and I like larger pens is the reason why I want the Maxi version of the Divina.