Stipula Suprema Pelago

dandelion

To modify the sumgal thing a little bit I am sorry to say that I have found that the nib has a problem. It has been a bit of a dry writer and I have noticed that there is a strange nib creep regardless of which ink I use (see review photos). I've only used different forms of blue ink, but when I switched to a green (Diamine Emerald - without anything blue in it) after doing an ordinary rinse, but the nib laid down a strange blue-green colour that was strange since I had rinsed the pen thoroughly. I emptied it and started to clean it again- the water went clear, but I let it soak in tepid water for a while and saw that it seeped out blue ink from it. I rinsed and soaked it again, but the blue continued to seep out from the nib, so I became puzzled and began to realize that that there was some strange thing going on.

I (somewhat afraid of damaging the whole pen) successfully removed the nib and feed and realized - the photo below is nothing to what I found - that there is some adhesive/sticky fat that absorbs/makes ink stay between the nib and feed. After cleaning it as much I can - using dish soap and a soft cloth, letting it soak in a mild dish soap/water solution and then clean it again using a soft toothbrush and a soft cloth it looks like in the photo below. I've only had it for a little more than a month. As comparison I add a photo of another stainless Stipula nib that I've had exactly as long as the Suprema (bought them together) and used even more. Nice and clean. I'll post about it in the Repair forum and the Italian forum to see if anybody else have experienced anything similar. It is like there has been some aggressive glue or similar under the feed. It doesn't go away. I will send the nib to the dealer to get a new one, but I wanted to share this. I'll keep you posted. Now, when my disappointment has stabilized I am a bit fascinated and curious about what it is that is stuck under my nib. Please share any tips.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_FODBn3j5KLc/S1Y8olhFIPI/AAAAAAAAM78/A-eJ-IXOfwE/nib%20problem_0187.JPG

My one month old Suprema nib. AFTER cleaning.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_FODBn3j5KLc/S1Y87zAS-jI/AAAAAAAAM8M/ToMWUqktUao/nib%20problem_0191.JPG

My one month old Ventidue nib. After normal rinsing. No problems or guck or corrosion.

Here you see traces even on the upper part. A lot of ink and "guck" was stuck here on the Suprema. It looked real bad. It seems like the glue/adhesive has corroded the nib a bit.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_FODBn3j5KLc/S1Y9J3e7iZI/AAAAAAAAM8w/1EC_P4Rik-8/s576/nib%20problem_0198.JPG

Edited by dandelion

*****the dandelion blog is right here*****

*****the dandelion flickr is right here*****

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dandelion

• Ondina

• Gojira

• Westworld9

That's really disturbing. I've noticed some nib creep on my Suprema as well and while it's no longer such a dry writer, I'd be worried if there's something on the nib capable of corroding it and perhaps even damaging the whole pen.

From your photos, the substance reminds me of some sort of grease.

I've been in contact with the retailer and will get a new nib - it is already on its way as I write. My kudos to Regina Martini for handling it so kind and efficient. I'm still curious to know what that gunk comes from. It is not fat - it is like old glue/tape/chewing gum. Anyway. I'll post and update when the new nib arrives.

Wow, $50 for this pen is a completely nutty deal. I've always liked the gigantic ink window and the overall shape of the Suprema - I've considered getting a Nuda, though a reviewer described issues with the ink having trouble getting around the vacuum plunger that gave me pause (which obviously the standard model wouldn't have since it's a piston filler). It's still a possible purchase, I think.

That was me. I've updated that review thread. I'm much happier with the pen after sending it to Stipula for service, as multiple commenters urged me to do.

Just picked up one of these from the same Ebay seller. Maybe jumped the gun a bit as I didn't see your 2nd page post. Any updates on the the stuff on the nib?

Just picked up one of these from the same Ebay seller. Maybe jumped the gun a bit as I didn't see your 2nd page post. Any updates on the the stuff on the nib?

I got a brand new nib - gunkless - that was shipped to me very fast and free of charge and I didn't have to return the faulty nib and shell out money for shipping. So everything is pretty good even if I'd like to know what it was and how on earth it got there.

Well, whoever won the two Supremas still weren't able to beat dandelion's sumgai price! I can't really say much since I also won mine (accidentally) at around USD50.

But I have noticed some nib creep on the Suprema's nib...there are several spots where the metal surface looks matte and ink will normally be found stuck on those areas. I really hope my nib isn't gunked-up as well...but I don't have the guts to remove the nib to find out! :D

Nice to know we were all watching the same auctions. I won the black/grey one btw :puddle:

Just a guess, but these had gold nibs originally. What if some evil genius at Stipula HQ concocted a scheme of having a chemical applied while swapping nibs. Would they even swap nibs when selling out old stock?

Edited by Westworld9

I considered bidding on 'em but decided I'd better chill given I just paid for my Desert Springs today. :)

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

I got this pen in the mail last friday and the nib, while not creeping or displaying any 'gunk,' has a frosted look to it over the bottom 2/3. I immediately thought there was condensation on the nib but it turns out it's just part of the steel. On top of this, the nib is much dryer than I expected - I can't get the thing to stop skipping, and I darned near have to tear through the page to get ink to come out. I see that the nib can be removed, and that it's pressure fit, but how exactly is this done? Also, are there any gold nibs out there that would fit in, somewhere I could buy them, and some way I could shove them in there? I love the looks of the pen and the huge ink capacity, but thanks to this nib I just emptied all the ink back into the bottle on the first day using it.

Edited by AEntreri0

Just got mine in the mail from an ebay auction and happy. It's filled with pelican 4001 bril black. It's also my first fountain pen.

Interesting pen for a fantastic price - nib issues not withstanding.

Thanks for the review!

Edited by QM2

• 1 month later...

That is a beautiful pen!

"If we faked going to the Moon, why did we fake it nine times?" -- Apollo 16 astronaut Charlie Duke

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4009/4447835438_d7314170bf_o.png

• 3 months later...

To modify the sumgal thing a little bit I am sorry to say that I have found that the nib has a problem. It has been a bit of a dry writer and I have noticed that there is a strange nib creep regardless of which ink I use (see review photos). I've only used different forms of blue ink, but when I switched to a green (Diamine Emerald - without anything blue in it) after doing an ordinary rinse, but the nib laid down a strange blue-green colour that was strange since I had rinsed the pen thoroughly. I emptied it and started to clean it again- the water went clear, but I let it soak in tepid water for a while and saw that it seeped out blue ink from it. I rinsed and soaked it again, but the blue continued to seep out from the nib, so I became puzzled and began to realize that that there was some strange thing going on.

I (somewhat afraid of damaging the whole pen) successfully removed the nib and feed and realized - the photo below is nothing to what I found - that there is some adhesive/sticky fat that absorbs/makes ink stay between the nib and feed. After cleaning it as much I can - using dish soap and a soft cloth, letting it soak in a mild dish soap/water solution and then clean it again using a soft toothbrush and a soft cloth it looks like in the photo below. I've only had it for a little more than a month. As comparison I add a photo of another stainless Stipula nib that I've had exactly as long as the Suprema (bought them together) and used even more. Nice and clean. I'll post about it in the Repair forum and the Italian forum to see if anybody else have experienced anything similar. It is like there has been some aggressive glue or similar under the feed. It doesn't go away. I will send the nib to the dealer to get a new one, but I wanted to share this. I'll keep you posted. Now, when my disappointment has stabilized I am a bit fascinated and curious about what it is that is stuck under my nib. Please share any tips.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_FODBn3j5KLc/S1Y8olhFIPI/AAAAAAAAM78/A-eJ-IXOfwE/nib%20problem_0187.JPG

My one month old Suprema nib. AFTER cleaning.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_FODBn3j5KLc/S1Y87zAS-jI/AAAAAAAAM8M/ToMWUqktUao/nib%20problem_0191.JPG

My one month old Ventidue nib. After normal rinsing. No problems or guck or corrosion.

Here you see traces even on the upper part. A lot of ink and "guck" was stuck here on the Suprema. It looked real bad. It seems like the glue/adhesive has corroded the nib a bit.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_FODBn3j5KLc/S1Y9J3e7iZI/AAAAAAAAM8w/1EC_P4Rik-8/s576/nib%20problem_0198.JPG

Hi dandelion - I've just received one of these pens and I want to see if I could fit another nib in it - how did you remove the nib in the end , given your earlier attempts to remove it ?

I have the one in amber , same big nib, and from the same seller.

Good deal.

I sent the pen to Oxonian to smooth off and to improve the feed, and it is now a great performer.

It has a lovely feel, and is unlike any other pen I have seen. Unique.

John

Edited by English John

I have the one in amber , same big nib, and from the same seller.

Good deal.

I sent the pen to Oxonian to smooth off and to improve the feed, and it is now a great performer.

It has a lovely feel, and is unlike any other pen I have seen. Unique.

John

Yes , I agree it was a good deal . I think I paid less for this than for my Vedo . I have the grey/blue celluloid version which has a very subtle and attractive pattern . Only thing is the fine nib is not optimal for me so I will see if I can install a stub in its place ; hence my question to dandelion .

• 2 months later...

Great review, as always, dandelion!

I just picked one of these up in a trade (thanks to a sweetheart in Alabama), and mine is just a little bit different than yours - namely in the clip and the disc on the top of the cap. My clip is more of a blocky-shaped thing that I've seen on other Supremas, where yours is the curvy one from the Ventidue! Weird!

Either way, they're beautiful pens. I've just inked mine up with the first-gen formula of Visconti blue, and it's a terrific match to the pen!

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1118/726404937_328386ddc6_o.jpg

Brassing Adds Character: Available by clicking on my signature.