Stipula Suprema Pelago

dandelion

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_FODBn3j5KLc/S0aMHepk0uI/AAAAAAAALng/0_2WYarIyP4/stipula%20III_0445.JPG

Intro

I hadn't tried any Stipulas until I had the opportunity to buy this -- and some more -- for a very good price some time ago. One of them was the Stipula Suprema Pelago; a piston filler made of celluloid with a grey-blue fishbone pattern. If you hold it against the light you see the delicate pattern and the deep, blue colour.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_FODBn3j5KLc/S0aMIvwtnyI/AAAAAAAALns/8umJE_8leLs/stipula%20III_0450.JPG

This one has an oversized fine steel nib, but the original nib (before close out sales) was a two tone gold nib. When I bought it I didn't know that it was a limited edition. The Suprema also came in an amber version that was numbered, but non-limited, but the Suprema Pelago was limited to 193 pens. As I understand it the Suprema Pelago was originally sold and marketed as a "sterling silver edition" and had an inscribed piece of silver to accompany the pen. I bought mine at an eBay auction from a reputed dealer as NOS -- without box and silver piece and with a steel nib for a considerably lower price than originally.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_FODBn3j5KLc/S0cNpzf0u6I/AAAAAAAALqY/nzHlnzq7ebk/Suprema%20IV_0498.JPG

It is important that pens get their share of fresh air...

Appearance & Design

Besides from a general curiosity about Stipula and the opportunity to get one for a very low price, it was the curved shape of the barrel, combined with the unornamented nib, that caught my eye and made me go for it - shape freak as I am. When I got the pen I was very happy to find that the cap has a very beautiful jewel, which I believe is made of sterling silver.The clip is nicely shaped and created to be used which I like very much. I thus wasn't disappointed either in the nib or the curved barrel who had tricked me into buying it in the first place. Aesthetically the nib is very beautiful and goes well with this understated, classic pen and I believe that it is much classier than the original, ornamented two tone nib. In ordinary indoor light the pen looks like it is grey-blackish, but in bright light one sees the shimmering - it almost looks like metal threads inside the celluloid. I also like that the design is created to enhance function. One thing i particularly like design wise is the discreet piston knob that hides the mechanism (it doesn't screw out as with MBs or Pelikans). It is in all a classy, understated pen with some originality as the curved barrel. 8/10

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_FODBn3j5KLc/S0cN35RiFEI/AAAAAAAALmM/KX5xwiiyLag/Suprema%20IV_0494.JPG

Construction & Quality

It is hard not to compare it with the Vedo - Stipula's contemporary "affordable" FP (but a bit overpriced after the price increase) since the Pelago is its bigger and more prestigious sibling and because of the simple fact that it cost me less than half (~$50) of what I paid for the Vedo. Compared to the Vedo (which is a well made pen within its range) this definitely has a more solid feel to it - especially if one scrutinizes the cap. The Vedo cap hasn't got a cap band and I must say that the comparison between them makes me believe that it is hard to make a resin pen without cap band without making it look somewhat cheap. This is a solid quality pen. An extra plus for the celluloid and a little minus for the stiff steel nib and the bad posting qualities. 8/10

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_FODBn3j5KLc/S0cNeoiqxCI/AAAAAAAALqk/e-Qx3nxPEnk/Suprema%20IV_0508.JPG

Dimensions

Length capped 13.5 cm

Length uncapped 12.5 cm

Length posted 16.5 cm

Weight inked and with cap: 29 g

Weight inked without cap: 17 g

It is a rather large pen – 1 cm longer capped than the Ventidue/Vedoand 1.5 cm longer than the V/V when it is posted.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_FODBn3j5KLc/S0aL9IP5JuI/AAAAAAAALqw/Iw5a5DhbJMg/stipula%20III_0428.JPG

Nib

The nib is not only pleasant to look at - it is nice to write with too. I was very happy to find that the Pelago lays down a very fine line - almost as fine as a Pilot fine nib (see comparison below) which makes it especially well suited for notes in the margin. It writes on the dry side, but not too dry and is rather smooth considered its width and that it is a steel nib. The nib isn't made for those who detest stiff nibs - it is stiff and very precise – almost a bit too stiff for me who normally like stiff nibs because of the control and precision. In all a good nib. Nothing to write long letters about (but maybe with...:) ) but a solid, nice nib that is well suited for margin notes and notetaking. 7/10

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_FODBn3j5KLc/S0UQhFQVmFI/AAAAAAAALP4/VExEb1cKWR0/s640/Suprema.jpg

Over all writing properties

This is a very well balanced pen with a shape that my hands like very much. Even if the nib is a tad stiff this pen is very good for longer note taking sessions (in class/at meetings etc). A big drawback is that it doesn't post securely - I prefer to post my pens and write fast, so that bugs me, but it is nevertheless a pleasant, classy everyday workhorse. The nib is a bit too boring, but it is overall a very good writer. 7.5/10

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_FODBn3j5KLc/S0cNppUM1eI/AAAAAAAALl8/lXJPa2PHUfQ/Suprema%20IV_0490.JPG

Filling System, Ink Capacity & Maintenance

It is a piston filler. I haven't experienced any problem with filling, but, since the turning knob is a bit small and sits very tight, strong, dry fingers are needed to fill. This makes the cleaning process a bit trying, since it is hard to get a grip on the know with wet hands. No big thing, though - except for this minor inconvenience it is easy to fill and rinse. When one gets a grip the piston moves just fine and smooth. The curve makes the ink reservoir of the Suprema huge and it must have one of the greatest ink capacities of the piston fillers of the market - a splendid option for those favouring long writing sessions and/or big, wet nibs. I like piston fillers, but knock off some for the knob inconvenience. 8/10

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_FODBn3j5KLc/S0exqMsl3qI/AAAAAAAALxg/kh_coxq3YLg/wik%20II_0078.JPG

Cost & Value

Strangely enough these mustn't have sold particularly well since they are possible to buy as NOS for a fraction of the original price. One part of the answer is - of course - that is that these have been sported with a steel nib instead of the original 18 k gold nib. But even with that taken into consideration the Pelago is a steal. The only big drawback is that it doesn't post very securely, but for this price I can live with that. It felt a little bizarre to buy this quality pen in celluloid for less than half of the going market price for a Vedo - which in comparison is an inferior pen. Bizarre or not - I 'm glad that I decided to try it. A very nice encounter on the whole.

10/10

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_FODBn3j5KLc/S0cmHBFKqlI/AAAAAAAALrw/DqipMdhW0Xo/Steninge%20Sigtuna%20mm_0261.JPG

Pelago with its siblings: Pelago, 22, 22, Vedo

Conclusion 48.5/60~8/10

This might not be the best or most outstanding pen I have, but it is a comfortable, usable everyday workhorse with a huge ink capacity which I definitely recommend as a daily writer. Perfect for students and teachers and researchers (or others that scribble a lot during the day). This pen set off a slight Stipula fever. I now have four Stipulas -- three of them also bargains/steals. The one I've paid most for is ironically the Vedo - their low end pen... One could thus reach the conclusion that I am rather satisfied with the Stipula Suprema/22/Vedo pens. :) But ,it suprises me that this is a LE pen. It doesn't really feel as "original" as I think a LE should be - with or without silver piece. It is nothing wrong with it - on the contrary - it is only so much better suited as a daily workhorse. Instead of being sold as a LE (or a demonstrator as the Nuda version) the Suprema ought to be a part of their regular production as a big sis to the Vedo. Preferably with a gold nib...

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_FODBn3j5KLc/S0cNncv1gwI/AAAAAAAALls/HD3fbycNGog/Suprema%20IV_0488.JPG

Edited by dandelion

*****the dandelion blog is right here*****

*****the dandelion flickr is right here*****

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dandelion

• Ondina

• Silvermink

• Westworld9

A really lovely looking pen and excellent review, thank you.

And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

Uch! 50$ for an oversize pen in celluloid and piston filler system is a real steal. If they can manage to market that as a regular product the days of Bic are counted.

Thank you for the review and the (usual) lovely photos.

Ciao,

<font face="Verdana"><b><font color="#2f4f4f">d</font></b><font color="#4b0082">iplo</font></font><br /><br /><a href='http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showuser=6228' class='bbc_url' title=''><font face="Trebuchet MS"><br /><font size="4"><b><font color="#8b0000"><font color="#696969">Go</font> <font color="#006400">To</font> <font color="#a0522d">My</font> <font color="#4b0082">FPN</font> Profile!</font></b></font></font><br /></a>

Outstanding, dandelion. Fabulous pics and very well exposed review. The Suprema closeouts have offered really expensive pens for a fraction of the price keeping all the quality and charm of one of the most sought after pen manufacturers. Shame the were only offered in fine nibs, many here would have jumped to such a bargain if they had offered a wider range.

Are the nibs screw-out or pressure fit?

Great review (as always!)thumbup.gif

The rung of a ladder was never meant to rest upon, but only to hold a man's foot long enough to enable him to put the other somewhat higher - Thomas Huxley

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Thank you all for kind praise! I think the nib is pressure fit. I tried to unscrew it (gently) but didn't succeed, but haven't dared to experiment any more with it. If anyone knows more - please tell!

O - more/other photos can be found here on my blog. I made a mini review there when FPN was down and used other pics for it.

Where did you find one for $50? I haven't seen one for less than $300.

Martini Pens has had several eBay auctions with Supremas and Ventidues the last months. The auctions have sometimes (like the one when I won the Suprema and the Ventidues) ended with very low closing prices. I didn't find out that before I bought my first Vedo (that arrived after the Suprema) - that is how my Vedo ended up being the most expensive of the four Stipulas I have. I've paid less than half the Vedo price for each of the three pens I bought through Martini's auctions at eBay. The main difference between the $300 Supremas and the one I have is that it has a steel nib - I guess that was a part of the closeout deal.

Fantastic review! I have too have a Suprema Pelago and must say that you have done this understated pen justice with your photos.

However, I do find the nib a bit too oversized and stiff, thus a little difficult to control for those with smaller hands. But one can always roll the pen about and admire the way the fine finish catches the light.....

very good review :thumbup: now I will have to look for another stip :ltcapd:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

I too would like to know where you found this pen, ebay and google are not helping me find one tjhat is NOS or has a stainless steel nib and therefor affrodable

Barry

I too would like to know where you found this pen, ebay and google are not helping me find one tjhat is NOS or has a stainless steel nib and therefor affrodable

Barry

Regina Martini

...that's where I got mine from, too.

Cheers

Michael

PS: There was also a version with solid sterling silver trim an 18K nib

Wow, $50 for this pen is a completely nutty deal. I've always liked the gigantic ink window and the overall shape of the Suprema - I've considered getting a Nuda, though a reviewer described issues with the ink having trouble getting around the vacuum plunger that gave me pause (which obviously the standard model wouldn't have since it's a piston filler). It's still a possible purchase, I think.

Edited by Silvermink

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

Wow, $50 for this pen is a completely nutty deal. I've always liked the gigantic ink window and the overall shape of the Suprema - I've considered getting a Nuda, though a reviewer described issues with the ink having trouble getting around the vacuum plunger that gave me pause (which obviously the standard model wouldn't have since it's a piston filler). It's still a possible purchase, I think.

Dandelion hit a real deal with hers, they normally can be had for 99 euros plus shipping (other 10-15€). So around $165. Still, a great pen for the price. http://www.martiniauctions.com/auction/browse.php/id=345 And they are down to the very last units, so if you're considering purchasing one, do it soon. (Usual no affiliation disclaimer here).

Is not very often I come back to re-read a review, but this is so well done and the pics are so exquisite that it may well be the 4th or 5th time I see it. Lovely.

Dandelion hit a real deal with hers, they normally can be had for 99 euros plus shipping (other 10-15€). So around $165. Still, a great pen for the price. http://www.martiniau...owse.php/id=345 And they are down to the very last units, so if you're considering purchasing one, do it soon. (Usual no affiliation disclaimer here).

Is not very often I come back to re-read a review, but this is so well done and the pics are so exquisite that it may well be the 4th or 5th time I see it. Lovely.

Thank you Ondina (and everybody else - of course!) for encouraging and kind feedback - it means a lot!

I just want to make clear that I didn't buy this through Regina Martini's own auction site - it was through one of her eBay auctions. Her eBay identity is martini.de and here is a link to the auctions. Their Stipula eBay auctions generally end much lower (considerably lower starting bid) than the auctions at their own site. Here you also find the items with descriptions in German and it seems like they are the ones that often ends with a low price - these auctions also offer international shipping etc, so it is mostly a language difference. You can see the completed listings from the last weeks here where you see that some auctions ended as low as $35 (plus around $15 in shipping cost). Unfortunately I think your observation is right, Ondina - I think they are down to the last ones since Regina Martini haven't listed any new Suprema (regular or Pelago) on eBay for a while.

Anyhow I feel very privileged that (without knowing so much about this pen before the buy) I managed to snatch one. I checked what I paid in total and the total with shipping included actually ended just below $60 - no joke.

Edited by dandelion

Splendid review and stunning photos, Dandelion! You were successful: I am jealous. :roflmho:

Seriously, it looks like you got quite a bargain. Folks woke up to it and have been snatching them up. Can't get as good a deal as you did. :( So, congrats on your timely buy! :thumbup:

Regards,

~MYU

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small