Oh Dear!

Rasendyll

I'm worried....

Does the fact that I've just bought my fourth Aurora Optima mean I'm an addict? It was sitting there- Blue Auroloide with Rhodium trim, and a lovely fine to medium Italic nib with a hint of flex....and I just couldn't resist.

THe thing is, Aurora's own in-house nibs gives each and every one a character all of its own....or is that just the self-justification of an addict? :blink:

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jlepens

• Rasendyll

• dannzeman

• Mr Ink

Top Posters In This Topic

yes it is!

But congratulations on your new pen anyways, you've come to the right place to find no rationale about pen purchases at all :)

Help? Why am I buying so many fountain pens?

Does the fact that I've just bought my fourth Aurora Optima mean I'm an addict?

I'm afraid so, but fear not: you are among many like-minded pen enthusiasts.

Indeed you are an addict: welcome to the family!

<font face="Verdana"><b><font color="#2f4f4f">d</font></b><font color="#4b0082">iplo</font></font><br /><br /><a href='http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showuser=6228' class='bbc_url' title=''><font face="Trebuchet MS"><br /><font size="4"><b><font color="#8b0000"><font color="#696969">Go</font> <font color="#006400">To</font> <font color="#a0522d">My</font> <font color="#4b0082">FPN</font> Profile!</font></b></font></font><br /></a>

Welcome and come on in! I have two Aurora Optimas: a blue one with gold trim that was purchased used and a red one that was purchased new. I always said that I would never spend that much on a pen again, even though the Optima is an awesome pen. And yet I find myself looking at the blue/silver Optima and thinking, "well, if I sell a few pens to make room in the collection..."

Come on in, friend. The water's fine.

Sometimes I write things (as of 2013

http://katesplace7.wordpress.com/

I'm worried....

Does the fact that I've just bought my fourth Aurora Optima mean I'm an addict? It was sitting there- Blue Auroloide with Rhodium trim, and a lovely fine to medium Italic nib with a hint of flex....and I just couldn't resist.

THe thing is, Aurora's own in-house nibs gives each and every one a character all of its own....or is that just the self-justification of an addict? :blink:

Need more info to decide, we need a picture of the 4 together to decide. Do you have the demonstrator?

I have the green Auroloide and dearly want a Demonstrator.

Addict is such a harsh word.. :eureka: lets just say you have impeccable taste!!! :thumbup:

Joi - The Way of the Japanese Pen

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3664/3387580367_f8a1a5c1df.jpg

I would say 3 or more of the same pen constitutes an addict.

Oh, and I definitely fall into that category on more than one occasion.

Congrats on the new pen. Pics?

Does the fact that I've just bought my fourth Aurora Optima mean I'm an addict?

I'm afraid so, but fear not: you are among many like-minded pen enthusiasts.

That's why my wife calls this forum my "support group." I found solace in convenient interpretation of Mark Twain's words: "There are several good protections against temptation, but the surest is cowardice."

Self-justification or not, I agree about the slight nib differences. I have owned many Aurora nibs, and currently have three Optimas, a modern 88, and an Optima/88 nib in my Edison Herald. Except for the one in the Edison, each of them are mediums. Nonetheless they each write differently.

I fully understand your Optima love. I have a green auroloide pen my wife and son gave me for Father's Day back in 1998, a blue auroloide I bought from a Pentrace member two Decembers ago, and a red auroloide I picked up back in June. Lovely pens all!

Thanks everyone for the words of welcome and encouragement!

Here are the pictures requested-first, the new acquisition on it's own:

http://i402.photobucket.com/albums/pp110/gatf/Optima1.jpg

And here's the 'family group':

http://i402.photobucket.com/albums/pp110/gatf/Optima2.jpg

No demonstrator Jlepens-we have two green Auroloides with gold trim, but very different nibs-one is a lovely sharp broad italic, great for formal work and the other is an oblique medium, lovely for fast writing with character. There is a black and gold with the new style of trim ring, also technically a broad italic but let sharply cut that the first green (not quite a stub though-a great signature pen) and yesterday's new acquisition in blue.

Hope everyone enjoys my addiction :)

Now that demonstrator is a thought, though I haven't seen one in our local pen shop, and because these pens always have such character I like to get to know them before buying....

Edited by Rasendyll

That is a great blue. Congrats on a cool family!

Joi - The Way of the Japanese Pen

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3664/3387580367_f8a1a5c1df.jpg

I hope I enjoy my black/GT Optima, when it arrives, as much as you enjoy yours :thumbup:

Roger

Magnanimity & Pragmatism

• 2 weeks later...