• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aysedasi

• lsmith42

• Kabe

• Anton Emdin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Similar to the Thistle ink offering above, I found a bottle of Mak-Ur-Own Dri-Ink (blue black) yesterday at a flea market. The tablets are in good condition. I have 8 small ziploc bags and the bottle, each containing 2 tablets, to give away. The directions say to dissolve one tablet in 1 ounce of clean water. The bottle is dated 1944.

So, I have 9 samples to give away. No guarantees, as I haven't tested it. As I'm going to mail the ziplocs in envelopes, the tablets may get crushed in transit.

Kristi

Just a heads-up: this seems to be an iron gall ink (the tablets even smell like rust!), so use with caution; dip pens only recommended.

Later: Interesting stuff, though it took better than two hours for the tablet to dissolve in water, and it was still chunky on the bottom. It may have been better prepared in a sealed bottle with constant agitation.

Using a C-4 Speedball nib I tried it on my usual Howard Linen writing paper, and it went on *very* wet in a widely shaded deep purple color, and as it dried it was fascinating to see it turning black in the order in which it was laid down! Once it all did dry, though, it faded to a dark charcoal gray color. It tended to spread out a bit on the surface of the paper, but no serious bleedthrough or feathering, even as wet as it went down, except where one of the other nibs I tried dug into the paper; this stuff would be much more appropriately used on parchment or vellum, I would think.

I don't know whether this ink will keep long without spoiling, so after playing with it for awhile I ended up pouring the remainder out.

Everything the ink touched now smells of wet rust. :-)

Edited by Chthulhu

Mike Hungerford

Model Zips - Google Drive

Just a heads-up: this seems to be an iron gall ink (the tablets even smell like rust!), so use with caution; dip pens only recommended.

Later: Interesting stuff, though it took better than two hours for the tablet to dissolve in water, and it was still chunky on the bottom. It may have been better prepared in a sealed bottle with constant agitation.

Using a C-4 Speedball nib I tried it on my usual Howard Linen writing paper, and it went on *very* wet in a widely shaded deep purple color, and as it dried it was fascinating to see it turning black in the order in which it was laid down! Once it all did dry, though, it faded to a dark charcoal gray color. It tended to spread out a bit on the surface of the paper, but no serious bleedthrough or feathering, even as wet as it went down, except where one of the other nibs I tried dug into the paper; this stuff would be much more appropriately used on parchment or vellum, I would think.

I don't know whether this ink will keep long without spoiling, so after playing with it for awhile I ended up pouring the remainder out.

Everything the ink touched now smells of wet rust. :-)

Thank you for the information. I have not had a chance to load it up and I do NOT have any dip pens. I was going to load this up in my Parker 21 once the nib is reground but I think I will wait.

Peace and Understanding

Thank you for the information. I have not had a chance to load it up and I do NOT have any dip pens. I was going to load this up in my Parker 21 once the nib is reground but I think I will wait.

Probably a good idea; along with the corrosive properties this kind of ink is supposed to have, there was a fair amount of sediment in the bottom of the container (a shot glass) in which I dissolved the tablet.

You could also try it with a small brush if you really want to see what it's like. For that matter, the first few marks I made were done with the toothpick I was using to stir the ink. :-)

Mike Hungerford

Model Zips - Google Drive

Just a quick update. Your peppers were mailed out last night, priority mail. I included a jalapeno for comparison. I hope you enjoy them!

Thanks!

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Probably a good idea; along with the corrosive properties this kind of ink is supposed to have, there was a fair amount of sediment in the bottom of the container (a shot glass) in which I dissolved the tablet.

You could also try it with a small brush if you really want to see what it's like. For that matter, the first few marks I made were done with the toothpick I was using to stir the ink. :-)

Here is an interesting idea. I am going to find my old drafting pencils (the kind where you have one holder and multiple leads), round out the lead and use that for a pen. I might even try a small dowel in the holder. Something to think about.

Peace and Understanding

This idea is kinda weird:

I know many around here love composition books, so I was wondering if anyone wanted a "Libreta Universitaria de Industria Papelera de Baja California". aka , Northern Mexico's ubiquitous composition books. Here's a pic:

http://miktek.com/images/45.jpg

If only one or two are interested, I'll send you one; depending on the nuimber of interested I might buy a bunch of pocket sized ones. Comes in sizes and thickness; 400 paged, 7 subject ones are off limits due to weight issues

Winner/requester gets to pick, but I recommend 60 paged ones. Very thick covers

send mail or PM

Edited by Kabe

The voice of this guitar of mine, at the awakening of the morning, wants to sing its joy;

I sing to your volcanoes, to your meadows and flowers, that are like mementos of the greatest of my loves;

If I am to die away from you, may they say I am sleeping, and bring me back home.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.pnghttp://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

Free, sorry UK only, 20 point seals and 13 piston O rings for Sheaffer PFM. Fool thought he could do his own servicing - we learn by our mistakes!

PM details if interested.

Edited by Ed Ronax

And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

Free, sorry UK only, 20 point seals and 13 piston O rings for Sheaffer PFM. Fool thought he could do his own servicing - we learn by our mistakes!

PM details if interested.

Claimed

And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

I can't do much, but I want to do something, so if somebody in the USA or Canada wants one of these, I'm happy to get it for you.

Please send me a PM with your delivery address and I'll pay speerbob and ask him to send it directly.

I have to go do something else right now, but will check back later today. First PM gets it.

------------------------

Done and done!

I understand from speerbob that the pens will be shipped on Tuesday.

Edited by WendyNC

I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.

Mexican compsotion notebooks signup closed

The voice of this guitar of mine, at the awakening of the morning, wants to sing its joy;

I sing to your volcanoes, to your meadows and flowers, that are like mementos of the greatest of my loves;

If I am to die away from you, may they say I am sleeping, and bring me back home.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.pnghttp://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

I would *LOVE* some Bhut jolokia peppers, but Australian Customs won't allow them in, sadly.

Can't you import the seeds, and grow your own? That's what my in-laws do, although I don't know which kinds of peppers they grow.

The 'winner' of the Slimfold is <b>Sebastien</b>. Well done to you.

Commiserations to the 21 members who were unsuccessful on this occasion, particularly to the one or two who have become regular correspondents with me here. It would have been easy to let one of you have the pen (and it was pretty close in the end), but I had to be fair and give it to the member who impressed me the most with his her reason.

I'm sure there will be other PIFs from me soon.

Just received the slimfold this morning, , I already started using it at work this afternoon, I really like the flex, write smoothly. It is a lovelly pen that will find a place in my rotation.

Thank you very much Aysedasi

I'm a french guy so my posts will be full of phrasing and spelling mistakes. thank you for your understanding.

Just a quick update. Your peppers were mailed out last night, priority mail. I included a jalapeno for comparison. I hope you enjoy them!

Thank you! Package arrived just as I was about to leave for the airport. Didn't dare open it, for fear the peppers would leap out like crazed fire demons,latch on to my tongue and literally scorch its surface, leaving my mouth a smoking ruin. I'll open it when I get back.

"Just because they call me a writer doesn't mean I can hold a pen in my paws"

The 'winner' of the Slimfold is <b>Sebastien</b>. Well done to you.

Commiserations to the 21 members who were unsuccessful on this occasion, particularly to the one or two who have become regular correspondents with me here. It would have been easy to let one of you have the pen (and it was pretty close in the end), but I had to be fair and give it to the member who impressed me the most with his her reason.

I'm sure there will be other PIFs from me soon.

Just received the slimfold this morning, , I already started using it at work this afternoon, I really like the flex, write smoothly. It is a lovelly pen that will find a place in my rotation.

Thank you very much Aysedasi

You're very welcome Sebastien, I'm glad you like it.

Ayse

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

will buy the books tomorrow, mail by Th

OK, that's it. We're all done for now. Everyone who asked for peppers, be warned. I take no responsibility for your experiences! I hope you enjoy the sensation. Let me know how you like them. They will be posted on Thursday.

I received the peppers a couple of days ago and finally got to try them. Just a bit off the end with some real food for dinner. I've learned to have food in the belly and some to follow up just in case. They are hotter on the tongue than the Habaneros (probably because they're hotter in general) and after a couple of minutes I can feel my head "percolate". The sweat is nice and cooling (like a swamp cooler) if there is a breeze. Since we've had temps in the mid to upper 90's it's refreshing. After 10-15 minutes it's back to normal except for a little tingle on the tongue.

Thanks for sending them. I'm going to save the seeds (not eat them) and plant them later.

Ralph

*** Pen is no longer available ***

I received a new fountain pen in the mail that seems to be a Reform 1745, or something very similar. It is a piston fill, and has not been inked or tested. The pen is free to the fist member who PM's me - shipping only to USA and would love to give the pen to a new user.

Edited by bhbarto

So, I'm taking a huge exam on Wednesday, and I need some good karma! :) I'm a student, so it isn't much, but I'm offering the following:

1 brand-new, yellow Platinum Preppy refillable highlighter pen, converted to an eyedropper pen

1 brand-new, black Platinum Preppy fountain pen, converted to an eyedropper pen

Since these are eyedroppers, I don't have any cartridges for them, but you could certainly still use them with cartridges if you wanted. I've also used Platinum converters with success.

I'll send them anywhere at my expense, one per customer, please. PM me with your address and which one you're interested in, and I'll use random.org to select the winner out of all the PMs in each respective batch. I'll take PMs until 9pm PST on Wednesday, 9/30/09 (after my exam!).

Good luck! :)

Inks currently in pens: Noodler's La Reine Mauve, Rachmaninov, Prime of the Commons Blue-Black, Naval Orange, MN Whaleman's Sepia, Verdun Green, Majestic Orange; J. Herbin Violette Pensée, Rose Cyclamen, Orange Indien

Blog Twitter Facebook