Pen Personality?

professionaldilettante

249 members have voted

1. 1. Please enter your resulting personality type after taking the test provided by the link~ (anonymous)

• ISTJ
    • ISFJ
    • INFJ
    • INTJ
    • ISTP
    • ISFP
    • INFP
    • INTP
    • ESTP
    • ESFP
    • ENFP
    • ENTP
    • ESTJ
    • ESFJ
    • ENFJ
    • ENTJ

Hello Fellow FPN-ers,

I have always wondered about what part of our personality that drives us to collect, and seeing such a large group of fountain pen collectors here, I would like to pose this "experiment".

In order to determine your personality test, I propose that the Jung-Meyers Test, which determines your personality according to four different axises. If you would love to read more on this test, please look at Wikipedia's page on Jung-Meyers Type Indicator.

The link here provides the test. I must admit that no test is perfect, but it is good enough to see if pen collecting is part of a specific personality trait. It takes time, maybe 10 minutes, or less. The questions are easy, but just takes time to answer all of them.

Why do this? Well, maybe by finding personality traits, we can find potential pen lovers out in the wild, and it may show us a little more of ourselves as a group. Something interesting, and to help things along, I've made the poll anonymous.

Please don't post it in the comments area, if you want to protect your own anonymity. Have fun, and lets see what we can dig up. Also, if you want to learn more about your personality, just type the 4 letter result into Google or something.

-pd

The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.

Blaise Pascal

fpn_1336709688__pen_01.jpg

Tell me about any of your new pens and help with fountain pen quality control research!

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scrawler

• I am not a number

• RitaCarbon

• ethernautrix

Interesting idea. I think I've done this before, maybe :P

Lets see what we all have in common! Though I feel that we might just share a common interest.

Currently Inked:

-Montblanc 31, Noodler's Black

-Parker 51 Vac, Waterman Blueblack

-Parker 51 Vac, Diamine Jade Green

-Rotring 600, Aurora Blue

I am an ENFJ.

description of the ENFJ by Kersey

"Idealist Portrait of the Teacher (ENFJ)

Even more than the other Idealists, Teachers have a natural talent for leading students or trainees toward learning, or as Idealists like to think of it, they are capable of calling forth each learner's potentials. Teachers (around two percent of the population) are able - effortlessly, it seems, and almost endlessly-to dream up fascinating learning activities for their students to engage in. In some Teachers, this ability to fire the imagination can amount to a kind of genius which other types find hard to emulate. But perhaps their greatest strength lies in their belief in their students. Teachers look for the best in their students, and communicate clearly that each one has untold potential, and this confidence can inspire their students to grow and develop more than they ever thought possible.

In whatever field they choose, Teachers consider people their highest priority, and they instinctively communicate personal concern and a willingness to become involved. Warmly outgoing, and perhaps the most expressive of all the types, Teachers are remarkably good with language, especially when communicating in speech, face to face. And they do not hesitate to speak out and let their feelings be known. Bubbling with enthusiasm, Teachers will voice their passions with dramatic flourish, and can, with practice, become charismatic public speakers. This verbal ability gives Teachers a good deal of influence in groups, and they are often asked to take a leadership role.

Teachers like things settled and organized, and will schedule their work hours and social engagements well ahead of time-and they are absolutely trustworthy in honoring these commitments. Valuing as they do interpersonal cooperation and harmonious relations, Teachers are extraordinarily tolerant of others, are easy to get along with, and are usually popular wherever they are.

Teachers are highly sensitive to others, which is to say their intuition tends to be well developed. Certainly their insight into themselves and others is unparalleled. Without a doubt, they know what is going on inside themselves, and they can read other people with uncanny accuracy. Teachers also identify with others quite easily, and will actually find themselves picking up the characteristics, emotions, and beliefs of those around them. Because they slip almost unconsciously into other people's skin in this way, Teachers feel closely connected with those around them, and thus show a sincere interest in the joys and problems of their employees, colleagues, students, clients, and loved ones."

description of the ENFJ by Butt and Heiss:

"ENFJs are the benevolent 'pedagogues' of humanity. They have tremendous charisma by which many are drawn into their nurturant tutelage and/or grand schemes. Many ENFJs have tremendous power to manipulate others with their phenomenal interpersonal skills and unique salesmanship. But it's usually not meant as manipulation -- ENFJs generally believe in their dreams, and see themselves as helpers and enablers, which they usually are.

ENFJs are global learners. They see the big picture. The ENFJs focus is expansive. Some can juggle an amazing number of responsibilities or projects simultaneously. Many ENFJs have tremendous entrepreneurial ability.

ENFJs are, by definition, Js, with whom we associate organization and decisiveness. But they don't resemble the SJs or even the NTJs in organization of the environment nor occasional recalcitrance. ENFJs are organized in the arena of interpersonal affairs. Their offices may or may not be cluttered, but their conclusions (reached through feelings) about people and motives are drawn much more quickly and are more resilient than those of their NFP counterparts.

ENFJs know and appreciate people. Like most NFs, (and Feelers in general), they are apt to neglect themselves and their own needs for the needs of others. They have thinner psychological boundaries than most, and are at risk for being hurt or even abused by less sensitive people. ENFJs often take on more of the burdens of others than they can bear.

TRADEMARK: "The first shall be last"

This refers to the open-door policy of ENFJs. One ENFJ colleague always welcomes me into his office regardless of his own circumstances. If another person comes to the door, he allows them to interrupt our conversation with their need. While discussing that need, the phone rings and he stops to answer it. Others drop in with a 'quick question.' I finally get up, go to my office and use the call waiting feature on the telephone. When he hangs up, I have his undivided attention!

Functional Analysis:

Extraverted Feeling

Extraverted Feeling rules the ENFJ's psyche. In the sway of this rational function, these folks are predisposed to closure in matters pertaining to people, and especially on behalf of their beloved. As extraverts, their contacts are wide ranging. Face-to-face relationships are intense, personable and warm, though they may be so infrequently achieved that intimate friendships are rare.

Introverted iNtuition

Like their INFJ cousins, ENFJs are blessed through introverted intuition with clarity of perception in the inner, unconscious world. Dominant Feeling prefers to find the silver lining in even the most beggarly perceptions of those in their expanding circle of friends and, of course, in themselves. In less balanced individuals, such mitigation of the unseemly eventually undermines the ENFJ's integrity and frequently their good name. In healthier individuals, deft use of this awareness of the inner needs and desires of others enables this astute type to win friends, influence people, and avoid compromising entanglements.

The dynamic nature of their intuition moves ENFJs from one project to another with the assurance that the next one will be perfect, or much more nearly so than the last. ENFJs are continually looking for newer and better solutions to benefit their extensive family, staff, or organization.

Extraverted Sensing

Sensing is extraverted. ENFJs can manage details, particularly those necessary to implement the prevailing vision. These data have, however, a magical flexible quality. Something to be bought can be had for a song; the same something is invaluable when it's time to sell. (We are not certain, but we suspect that such is the influence of the primary function.) This wavering of sensory perception is made possible by the weaker and less mature status with which the tertiary is endowed.

Introverted Thinking

Introverted Thinking is least apparent and most enigmatic in this type. In fact, it often appears only when summoned by Feeling. At times only in jest, but in earnest if need be, Thinking entertains as logical only those conclusions which support Feeling's values. Other scenarios can be shown invalid or at best significantly inferior. Such "Thinking in the service of Feeling" has the appearance of logic, but somehow it never quite adds up.

Introverted Thinking is frequently the focus of the spiritual quest of ENFJs. David's lengthiest psalm, 119, pays it homage. "Law," "precept," "commandment," "statute:" these essences of inner thinking are the mysteries of Deity for which this great Feeler's soul searched."

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Okay, I admit it!! I am interested in what this poll uncovers. I am an INFJ. Although my personality type is supposed to be rare (?!) in U.S. society, I have found it to be very common in my professional endeavors - military officer; clergyman. I am very curious how it fares in my main avocation.

I'm an INTJ. Mastermind, huh. Makes me sound evil. Here is a brief description from Wikipedia.

Overview

Masterminds are introspective, pragmatic, directive, and attentive. As strategists, they are better than any other type at brainstorming approaches to situations. Masterminds are natural but not eager leaders, stepping forward only when it becomes obvious to them that they are the best for the job. Strong-willed and very self-assured, they may make this decision quickly, as they tend to make all decisions. But though they are decisive, they are open to new evidence and new ideas, flexible in their planning to accommodate changing situations. They tend to excel at judging the usefulness of ideas and will apply whatever seems most efficient to them in accomplishing their clearly envisioned goals. To Masterminds, what matters is getting it done—but also learning the principles of how to get it done efficiently and well, that is, at a professional level of quality. However, they may give little thought to the personal cost of getting there, "focusing so tightly on their own pursuits [that] they can ignore the points of view and wishes of others."[1]:200

Masterminds are highly pragmatic, and they will put forth a great deal of time and effort to implement effective ideas. They are driven to solve complex problems and to create organized, decided, and executed solutions. Masterminds tend to make positive statements instead of negative ones, focusing on how to make the organization more efficient in the future rather than dwelling on past mistakes.

Masterminds are also highly theoretical, and the most open-minded of the 16 role variants. Before Masterminds adopt a theoretical notion, they insist on researching all the available data and checking the idea against reality. Masterminds are suspicious of theories based on poor research and will discard ideas that cannot be effectively implemented.

As leaders, Masterminds are skilled in contingency planning and entailment organizing, which are directive activities that tell the planner what activities to do and in what order to do them. Once in a position of power, Masterminds are known for their efficiency and willingness to adopt useful ideas.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Never be afraid to try something new.

Remember, amateurs built the ark.

Professionals built the Titanic.

Your Wikipedia link has a table near the middle on the right that shows the estimated results for the US population at large. (quick link to that part) It'll be interesting to see how our community compares. You can also click the different personality types in that table for a description of each one. Mine ended up being INTJ.

--Stephen

Edited by Rabbit

INTJ, but that doesn't really surprise me.

Great idea, by the way! :thumbup:

Visconti: Aida 0/1871, Amigdala, Black Ripple 4/199, Black Storm 8/88, Blue Ripple 870/999, Blue Symphony 88/208, Carbon Dream 4/993, Chatterley Ripple^3 4/25, Custom Ripple 4/4, D'Essai, Gulliver, Homo Sapien, Metropolis 64/288, Millennium Arc 2/1000, Opera Aqua, Opera Demo 547/888, Opera Nordic^2, Opera Water^2, Pericle^2, Ponte Vecchio^2, Ragtime, Ragtime 1174/1988, Replica, VG Custom^8, VG Demo^2, VG Green^2, VG Red, VG Vanilla^3, Versailles 317/365, Viscontina 39/188, Voyager^2

INTJ... it all makes sense now!!

Magna est Veritas et Prœvalet

Inks: Waterman's Purple & Blue, Diamine Amaranth & Aqua Lagoon, Lamy Black, J.Hebin Lavender Blue

If you're in the UK and want to swap a sample let me know.

INFP for me. We did this at work some years ago to better understand each other - turns out that most of us are INFP or INTJ.

My scale for the "I" has always been right up there on the scale (like 95 per cent!).

I think that there is a lot of merit in this test and that it can help offices work better.

edited because I can't type today - or maybe I just can't spell today!

Edited by zquilts

<!-- isHtml:1 --><!-- isHtml:1 --><a class='bbc_url' href='http://www.musingcrowdesigns.com'>Musing Crow Designs

I notice the majority is INTJ so far, including me.

"Whenever elephants fight, it's always the grass that suffers" -African Proverb

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.pnghttp://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

INFP. I know nothing about this system, but the description of the type - whilst perhaps overflattering in comparison to the reality - is remarkably accurate in some aspects. Even includes "interest in language", which is the first thing I would identify about myself.