Iroshizuku Price Increase

Okami

I can't fault Jet Pens for this decision at all. For one thing, they can possibly take to Pilot the sales figures at the different price points and advocate for a lower price point. If the new price point doesn't work, they can always choose to not comply with the pricing at a later date (which would probably be a very risky thing to do for reasons stated above).

I also think it's classy that they told us about this change. I haven't been around here much, and I don't think I have bought a single pen in 2010 (and just one bottle of ink, I believe). I am going to change that by purchasing a bottle of Syo-ro and probably one of the entry level Sailor pens. I don't really need either thing, but I want to support Jet Pens because they strike me as a very ethical seller based on all I know of them including this latest action.

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jimmy James

• Margana

• bluemagister

• AltecGreen

I can't fault Jet Pens for this decision at all. For one thing, they can possibly take to Pilot the sales figures at the different price points and advocate for a lower price point. If the new price point doesn't work, they can always choose to not comply with the pricing at a later date (which would probably be a very risky thing to do for reasons stated above).

I also think it's classy that they told us about this change. I haven't been around here much, and I don't think I have bought a single pen in 2010 (and just one bottle of ink, I believe). I am going to change that by purchasing a bottle of Syo-ro and probably one of the entry level Sailor pens. I don't really need either thing, but I want to support Jet Pens because they strike me as a very ethical seller based on all I know of them including this latest action.

Learning that Lily was already married was a sad day for me. :crybaby: But I'm glad that JetPens is doing well because of their excellent customer service! If I could recommend a pen from their selection, the AG Spalding and a Pelikan converter would be a good choice. The wood barrel is nice to hold and the rest of it is solid aluminum.

FYI: Jetpens makes less selling Noodlers than any other seller of it INCLUDING Nathan!

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

This pushed me into ordering the last two Iro inks on my list along with a few non-fountain pen items. I hope Jet Pens gains access to the Sailor inks that are unavailable in the U.S. That would definitely stake out new territory and bring a great product to a wider market.

A certified Inkophile

inkophile on tumblr,theinkophile on instagram,inkophile on twitter

I considered adding some Iroshizuku to my recent JetPens purchase, but decided I didn't want to support Pilot USA's market manipulation.

I only claim to speak for myself, but the good folks at JetPens have earned the goodwill shown towards them & their business many, many times over.

It was a classy move to let us know here. I buy local whenever I can; JetPens is one of the few exceptions. (And just in case, I have no affiliation except as a customer.)

Smile, breathe, and go slowly | Radio Solitude

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_-P4Xq_YQhc4/Sq6NKbfbs1I/AAAAAAAAAKA/dhsFrK9lALw/s800/Seal-GBEnso-100x93.png

Thank you Jetpens!

Just placed an order.

Rick

MY-stair-shtook eyn-HOON-dairt noyn und FEART-seeg (Meisterstuck #149)

"the last pen I bought is the next to the last pen I will ever buy.."---jar

WTB: Sheaffer OS Balance with FLEX nibs

porkopolispennerslogorev1.jpg

Porkopolis Penners Blog

I have experienced the wonderful JetPens service for the first time and am won over. I ordered my two bottles of Iroshizuku inks on Thursday and they were delivered to my desk today (Monday)! I didn't even have time to get excited about getting the inks.

The next time I need to order anything I will seriously look to see if Lily has what I want.

I also ordered another bottle of Iroshizuku which I didn't really need (Iroshizuku is definitely not for the needy) as a way of thanking JetPens for keeping the price as low as they did for as long as they did, and for the advance warning of the increase. :thumbup:

And of course, I had to throw in an inexpensive pen (Pilot Plumix) to hit the free shipping point! :embarrassed_smile:

Pam

This post did spur me on to order two more bottles of Kon-Peki.

Ya just gotta love the free shipping with an order of two bottles from Jet Pens.thumbup.gif

Best regards, Ken

No affiliation with JP, just a satisfied customer.

There was some speculation here in December last year about price increases because Pilot USA was going to bring Iroshizuku in. Jetpens said they would not increase prices (and they didn't then).

It's unfortunate that the US distributor is forcing their hand in this price bump, but at least they're giving advance notice. Ordered 2 bottles! My mini stockpile should last many years before ever ordering iroshizuku again.

Huh, I see JetPens now offers regular first-class mail shipping to Canada. I put four Iroshizuku inks in my cart and it came to $107 with shipping, or $26.75 each, which I think is still a little more than from Japan but could certainly be worse. The shipping cost step seems to get smaller and smaller with more inks ordered, so maybe I'll see if any of the other VPC people want to order anything...

Edited by Silvermink

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

Glad I bought the entire range when I did... now, small sips... ink rationing... need to load the rifles...

MB JFK BB; 100th Anniversary M; Dumas M FP/BP/MP set; Fitzgerald M FP/BP/MP set; Jules Verne BB; Bernstein F; Shaw B; Schiller M; yellow gold/pearl Bohème Pirouette Lilas (custom MB-fitted EF); gold 744-N flexy OBB; 136 flexy OB; 236 flexy OBB; silver pinstripe Le Grand B; 149 F x2; 149 M; 147 F; 146 OB; 146 M; 146 F; 145P M; 162 RB

I had contacted Pilot about carrying the Iroshizuku inks on my site (3 times, actually), but they never contacted me back. Now I know why! I've heard from other sources that Pilot USA tends not to pay much attention to the 'little guy' retailers (like me), and I have no evidence to dispute that. To me, it seems pretty obvious that Pilot is charging this much for the ink simply because they can. No one comes out with a new ink and them jacks the price up that much unless it's either limited in supply or there's crazy demand. Judging from how much everyone's raved about it here, I'd say there's a demand for it, so they're charging like crazy. Still though, $35 for 50ml is quite steep. Sure is a perty bottle though! :rolleyes:

Brian Goulet</br><a href='http://www.gouletpens.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>www.GouletPens.com</a></br><a href='http://twitter.com/GouletPens' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>GouletPens on Twitter</a></br><a href='http://blog.gouletpens.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Goulet Pens blog</a>

...and with that I've finally ordered a bottle of Ku-Jaku (I've been putting that off for 8 months at the very least).

This will likely be my first and last bottle of Iroshizuku. There really just isn't an ink in the world I'm willing to pay $35 for. I don't care how pretty it is. :glare:

Equal Opportunity Ink and Fountain Pen User.

My blog: The Dizzy Pen

Perhaps by charging very high prices and easing out smaller distributors they hope to create a cache. With a lot of products people tend to assume that higher prices equate to higher quality (or status).

But, golly, with so many other really good - no, excellent - inks I've never been tempted to order Iroshizuku. Their current prices are double or more what I have been paying for inks.

So I guess I'll just continue to use my existing 35-bottle stockpile and, when tempted, add a new bottle of something pretty here and there. My concern about Iroshizuku upping their price to $35 a bottle is pretty much on a par with my reaction to rumors about an impending shortage of Yak butter in Kirghistan. I'm just about as likely to rush out and buy a pound of the butter.

Edited by PatientType

...and with that I've finally ordered a bottle of Ku-Jaku (I've been putting that off for 8 months at the very least).

This will likely be my first and last bottle of Iroshizuku. There really just isn't an ink in the world I'm willing to pay $35 for. I don't care how pretty it is. :glare:

I just started using Ku-Jaku in a Sailor Sapporo F yesterday and I am smitten. If I had to choose just one, this one would be it. Hopefully, the price will be discounted by at least one retailer or another so that we won't have to pay more than $28 in future. It's still too expensive IMO but so are a handful of other brands.

Now that the cost of ink exceeds that of entry level pens like the Lamy Safari, I'm more likely to add another pen to my collection than another bottle of ink. In fact that new brown Safari might be just the thing. :)

A certified Inkophile

inkophile on tumblr,theinkophile on instagram,inkophile on twitter

I just started using Ku-Jaku in a Sailor Sapporo F yesterday and I am smitten. If I had to choose just one, this one would be it. Hopefully, the price will be discounted by at least one retailer or another so that we won't have to pay more than $28 in future. It's still too expensive IMO but so are a handful of other brands.

Now that the cost of ink exceeds that of entry level pens like the Lamy Safari, I'm more likely to add another pen to my collection than another bottle of ink. In fact that new brown Safari might be just the thing. :)

While I like to support B&M stores in the US. I will not do so for this ink. It is back to buying direct from Japan. The process is not that difficult and the prices will easily beat $28 a bottle. You can get it for around $22-23 a bottle delivered if you order 5 or more bottles at a time. Actually, it is cheaper for me to buy from Japan than JetPens because of the sales tax (I live in California) but I supported JetPens anyways.

I also find the non-Standard Sailor inks to be as good as the Irsohizuku (similar flow properties) and they come in a larger range of colors than the Iroshizuku.

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

Pilot's non-waterproof ink isn't worth the premium when Noodler's makes inks cheaper and with higher performance specifications. Heck, Sailor Jentle inks are good performers and cost less.

Pilot is being mean.

EDIT: The entire J. Herbin line can be bought from Goulet Pens for $250.00 and that is only 7 bottles of Iroshikizu. Even the MATH is simple.

Edited by bluemagister

Pilot's non-waterproof ink isn't worth the premium when Noodler's makes inks cheaper and with higher performance specifications. Heck, Sailor Jentle inks are good performers and cost less.

Pilot is being mean.

EDIT: The entire J. Herbin line can be bought from Goulet Pens for $250.00 and that is only 7 bottles of Iroshikizu. Even the MATH is simple.

Noodler's is cheaper only in the US. It sells for around $21 in Japan which is $7 more than Iroshizuku. The Sailor custom colors are price the same as the Iroshizuku.

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065