Early 149's ? Masterpiece Vs. Meisterstuck

tablaman

Hey everybody, I had a question regarding the early MB 149'S. In particular when purchasing the "silver band" models....What is the price variable when comparing the Meisterstuck band VS. the Masterpiece band ? Thanks in advance!!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• niksch

• Barry Gabay

• jar

• tablaman

In my experience, there is not much difference at all for two celluloid 149s of otherwise equal condition.

Hey everybody, I had a question regarding the early MB 149'S. In particular when purchasing the "silver band" models....What is the price variable when comparing the Meisterstuck band VS. the Masterpiece band ? Thanks in advance!!

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

Among the celluloid models, "Masterpiece" seems more common than "Meisterstuck." According to post-war literature from MB, most pens were intended for export to the UK and North America in an attempt to earn hard currency for the devastated German economy. Thus, most pens were marked "Masterpiece," as they were intended for English-language speakers. Later came the "Meisterstuck" which would be recognized by German speakers. Lambrou's first book shows a German ad which reads in part: "These pens are for export only. Be patient and you will once again be able to purchase a Montblanc at home." Once, about 20 years ago, I saw a rare French-market 149 with "Chef d'Ouevre" engraved on the cap band. That phrase, of course, is French for Meisterstuck which is English for Masterpiece.

Dear Barry,

With all due respect, I would beg to differ that "Masterpiece" came before "Meisterstuck" after the war. We know that L139G was being made before 149G pens for sure. The proof is 149G had L139G nibs. I have here a L139G with "Meisterstuck" on the ring that I sourced from Germany. I also have 3 149G pens here, which are the first model 149 pens, that have the Meisterstuck on ring. I have never seen a "Masterpiece" cap on a 149G.

Did the French 149 pen have a 18C nib with the guilloche M? That would really be special. The French export pens I have (144G and 146G) says "Fabrique de Allemagne" on barrel and have 18C nibs with the guilloche.

Jim

Interesting commentary Jim. My hands on experience with 50s vintage 149s is that I have handled far more Meisterstück banded 149s than Masterpiece banded 149s. Of course, 30-38 pens is not a significant sample size, but I do agree on a couple of points. Please allow a snip or two of your post...

We know that L139G was being made before 149G pens for sure. The proof is 149G had L139G nibs.

That is a documented fact and I am also lucky to have a 149G with a 139 nib and corresponding nib marking on the turning knob. I have noticed that many of my other later model celluloid 149s do not have nib markings on the turning knob.

I have here a L139G with "Meisterstuck" on the ring that I sourced from Germany. I also have 3 149G pens here, which are the first model 149 pens, that have the Meisterstuck on ring. I have never seen a "Masterpiece" cap on a 149G.

I did have one about ten years ago, and regrettably sold it for another pen. I searched for some time tonight to find the photos, but cannot find them. N=1 is not a good sample, I'll admit, but it is what it is.

Did the French 149 pen have a 18C nib with the guilloche M? That would really be special. The French export pens I have (144G and 146G) says "Fabrique de Allemagne" on barrel and have 18C nibs with the guilloche.

Great question, and I would like to see photos of a "Chef d'Ouevre" 149. Maybe I would pay out the nose for one too? I'm a glutton for the very old 149s.

Edited by niksch

Thank a Veteran.

Hello Jim, Thanks for your correction. I didn't mean to suggest that the Meisterstuck engraving did not appear until after WWII, just that it appeared after Masterpiece on the 140 series models. You know, if I'm remembering incorrectly, I'll stand corrected. I'm looking right now at my 642 and 644, both of which are marked "MONTBLANC Masterpiece." I don't recall the nib on the one French chef d'oeuvre, other than it was 3-tone. By "guilloche M," I assume you mean the engraved background to the circled M on the nib. I've seen that on a celluloid 149 I once owned as well as on pens owned by friends and acquaintances. It also appears on the nib of my 642 Masterpiece from the 1950s. Have also seem it on a 139 nib I once owned. As for the elusive celluloid French 149 with "chef d'oeuvre," it was brought to the Washington DC pen show years ago (when it was still held in Crystal City, Virginia) by an Asian collector who lived in Paris. It was purchased by a noted US collector. Hope this clears up my errors. But now I'm really curious about Masterpiece engraved on the 149s. Just dug out Lambrou's Fountain Pens: Vintage and Modern, and on p 171 he says the 142, 144, and 146 models were marked "Meisterstuck," but doesn't specifically describe the engravings on the first 149s which appeared 3 years later. I'm ready to be corrected. I'll second your question: Who has seen "Masterpiece" on a 149 cap band? Thanks again, Barry

Dear Barry,

With all due respect, I would beg to differ that "Masterpiece" came before "Meisterstuck" after the war. We know that L139G was being made before 149G pens for sure. The proof is 149G had L139G nibs. I have here a L139G with "Meisterstuck" on the ring that I sourced from Germany. I also have 3 149G pens here, which are the first model 149 pens, that have the Meisterstuck on ring. I have never seen a "Masterpiece" cap on a 149G.

Jim

There were some 149s which were exported to france and on which "chef d'oeuvre" and "fabriqué en allemagne" mentions where engraved. They all had 18c nibs, not to forget that there were some custom made silver and gold 149s that were made by artisans in France during the late 50's early 60's.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

I'll second your question: Who has seen "Masterpiece" on a 149 cap band? Thanks again, Barry

Barry,

I assume the question you posed was related to the very early 149s. The late 1950s 149 I have does have Masterpiece engraved on the middle cap band. The turning knob has 149 imprinted not 149G.

Mark

"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try" Mark Twain (American Humourist, Writer and Lecturer. 1835-1910)

Hey Guys, Thanks for the replies, especially Eric, Georges, & Mark. The question was not only posed to seek information, but also to check the competence of my memory. Having sold my celluloid 149s & 146s, I don't have any of the early ones to check. Glad to know that I really did own "Masterpiece" banded 149s and that I actually handled the "Chef d'Oeuvre" 149 at the DC show. Sometimes we need others to confirm what we believe we've experienced.

Sometimes we need others to confirm what we believe we've experienced.

This is a statement that many here would do well to remember. I'm adding it to my list of important quotes.

Thank a Veteran.

• 2 weeks later...

: Who has seen "Masterpiece" on a 149 cap band? Thanks again, Barry

I have 2 MB 149 with Masterpiece cap band, Short inkwindow, Flat feeder, L139 Nib. Would love to find a Meisterstuck.

So i can confirm they do exist thumbup.gif !!

Kind regards

Vasco

Best regards
Vasco

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w580/Vasco_Correia_Pisco/INGENIVM-PC/Avatar/simbolo-e-nomesmall2_zps47c0db08.jpg

Check out "Pena Lusa by Piscov". Pens added on a regular basis!

Link for Vintage Montblanc pens here

Link for Vintage Pelikan pens here