• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Darius

• Ghost Plane

• jslallar

• Tom Kellie

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi! I also do not know how to tell what size nib I have on my 146. Is there any way of checking this other than by comparison writing against a known nib size on another MB pen?

• 1 month later...

Darius,

I appreciate the hard work and talent that went into this. Like a lot of others have said, it gives a lot of useful information.

I have a 144 with a medium nib that I really enjoy writing with. It is precise and flows nicely. I use cartridges in it.

I have a 146 with a medium nib that that I just do not enjoy as much. It seems to write broader than I like. I use MB Bottle Ink in it.

Thanks to you, I now know what nib would suit me best.

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is excellent work! It helps me really make a decision that I need to make. I currently have an M nib. I have always wanted a BB nib. Is it possible to have these swapped by someone other than montblanc? I've heard that they charge quite a bit for this service. Can anyone please recommend someone to provide this service? Thanks for your help :)

WTT: Conklin Nozac Cursive Italic & Edison Beaumont Broad for Pelikan M1000 or Something Cool (PM me to discuss. It's part of my One Red Fountain Pen trading post)

WTB: 1. Camlin SD

2. 1950s to early 1960s 1st Gen MB 149 with BB nib

3. Airmail 90T Teal Swirl

4. PenBBS 355-16SF Demonstrator

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Darius for this excellent review!! So between B nib and BB nib which is more smoother? Which of them would you choose? Thanks in advance.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

please clarify

does this mean MB146 nib size = #6?

All these are modern size 6 MB nibs (ie 146 sized nibs), except for the O3B which is a modern size 9 MB nib (ie 149 sized nib).

Hi,

please clarify

does this mean MB146 nib size = #6?

All these are modern size 6 MB nibs (ie 146 sized nibs), except for the O3B which is a modern size 9 MB nib (ie 149 sized nib).

Yes. It is MB's #6 nib. The third digit in the current meisterstuck lineup denotes the nib size. 4,5,6 and 9.

In case you are wondering, there is no universal standard across brands for the nib size number.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

This is a very informative thread. This thread helped me justify my purchase of MB 149 OBB, which I believe the store I purchaesd from had to order from MB.

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

• 2 weeks later...

Do you know something about the existence of EEF nib for 149?

...more kills the pen than the sword ... as long as the nib is very sharp ....

Do you know something about the existence of EEF nib for 149?

EEF is not currently offered. I think they were in the past, and they maybe available on special request.

• 3 weeks later...

These are great writing samples for each nib type. As the 149 F is very smooth, I was a little bit surprised that the 149 EF gives out more feedback. Maybe the 149 EF's feedback helps me to write better in small letters since a buttery smooth nib could be difficult to countrol when I write neatly in small letters.

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

• 1 month later...

These are great writing samples for each nib type. As the 149 F is very smooth, I was a little bit surprised that the 149 EF gives out more feedback. Maybe the 149 EF's feedback helps me to write better in small letters since a buttery smooth nib could be difficult to countrol when I write neatly in small letters.

Based on everyone's experience with size 9 nibs, would an F or an M nib suit a newby. I bought my first MB from the classifieds here (Traveller 147 with M nib) but am still awaiting it's delivery, so have no idea of the "feel" of the nib.

I want to buy a 149 and am considering an M sized nib. But based on your comments above, maybe an F nib would be easier for a newby to FP's.

Comments?

Based on everyone's experience with size 9 nibs, would an F or an M nib suit a newby. I bought my first MB from the classifieds here (Traveller 147 with M nib) but am still awaiting it's delivery, so have no idea of the "feel" of the nib.

I want to buy a 149 and am considering an M sized nib. But based on your comments above, maybe an F nib would be easier for a newby to FP's.

Comments?

I don't think the size to impact on the ease of writing. It would, however, have an impact on suitablity to hand-writing and writing style.

I don't think the size to impact on the ease of writing. It would, however, have an impact on suitablity to hand-writing and writing style.

So you're saying the F and M nibs write equally smooth?

I just bought a 146 with an M nib, with this in mind, would you guys recommend I buy the 149 with an F nib?