Montblanc Nib Sizes

Darius

Since many people have been asking about the different tip sizes MB offer, I thought that writing sample scans of all the currently offered nibs was a good idea.

All these are modern size 6 MB nibs (ie 146 sized nibs), except for the O3B which is a modern size 9 MB nib (ie 149 sized nib). To keep a standard, all samples are writen on 2 pages of the same paper with the same ink.

As most know that MB nibs are hand ground, some variation within a designated size is expected.

The straight tipped nibs:

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/8228/mbnib01lrw.jpg

High resolution scan.

The oblique tipped nibs:

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/5403/mbnib02lr.jpg

High resolution scan.

Regarding the obliques, the OM seems to lay a thicker line in comparisson to the OB. However, on the page, the line is not thicker, but it is darker.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Darius

• Ghost Plane

• jslallar

• Tom Kellie

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Welcome Jar and Kaisede.

I forgot to mention that the pages are size A5, and the space between the lines is 9mm

Darius, this is a fantastic reference. Thank you for taking the time to do this. I think it should be pinned.

Darius, this is a fantastic reference. Thank you for taking the time to do this. I think it should be pinned.

I can't say it any beter than that. Thank you Darius!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2752/4371168844_35ba5fb338.jpg

Danitrio Fellow, Nakaya Nutter, Sailor Sailor (ret), Visconti Venerator, Montegrappa Molester (in training), ConwayStewart Champion & Diplomat #77

Thanks Darius. I had pretty much the same impressions in my recent boutique testing with the exception of the OB which had the wider width and line variation as your B. As we know there is a bit of variation even among nibs of the same category given the fact that MB nibs are hand fashioned.

Edited by jeen

Here are some of my scribbles from my test. The tallest letter is 5 mm. For my smallish writing size broad or OB is the widest nib that I prefer for my daily writing. All of the nibs had beautiful glide with MB black, and the B, OB, BB, OBB, all had nice line variation. Even the OM had a sublte line variation more evident whilst writing than on paper.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/jelb/nibsizes.jpg

Edited by jeen

Thank you very much! I'm thinking about having the nibs changed on two of my MBs, and these scans help immensely.

You are all welcome, and thanks for everyones nice words.

I'm glad that these scans are of some use to others.

Thanks Darius. I had pretty much the same impressions in my recent boutique testing with the exception of the OB which had the wider width and line variation as your B. As we know there is a bit of variation even among nibs of the same category given the fact that MB nibs are hand fashioned.

I agree with you Jeen. I expected the OB to have a line width comaparble to a straight B, but unfortunately the one I have is on the finer side. I only have one, so I don't have another to compare it to. With all the new 146's that are gonna be released in 2010, I think another one would probably find its way to me.

Can any of the MB experts advise which nibs are available for the POA series - I've only ever seen them in F,M or B. Will they deliver a new one with a BB or O3B fitted?

In the meantime I'll ask my contact at the Boutique.

Montblanc POA Series

Can any of the MB experts advise which nibs are available for the POA series - I've only ever seen them in F,M or B. Will they deliver a new one with a BB or O3B fitted?

In the meantime I'll ask my contact at the Boutique.

Actually, POA leave the factory with an F or an M. The B you saw is most likely a nib exchange, or a special request for it to be delivered as a B from Hamburg. You could get any size you want through nib exchange as long as it is available from Hamburg.

Darius,

Very cool stuff. I am curious more and more about the OM, at least in your scan, it has some similarity to the EF and F but with a finer down stroke. I never considered that nib before, now I think I'll send one of my boring M nibs for an exchange.

Thanks!

Wael

“Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis”

• 3 weeks later...

In testing several 149s as well as 146s lately I found in my sample that the 149 B (OB) has a line width similar to a 146 BB (OBB).

Not sure if it's actually a difference in nib size or flow, but in this nib size, the 149s I tested run wider. Can anyone corroborate?

In testing several 149s as well as 146s lately I found in my sample that the 149 B (OB) has a line width similar to a 146 BB (OBB).

Not sure if it's actually a difference in nib size or flow, but in this nib size, the 149s I tested run wider. Can anyone corroborate?

Sounds familiar. I've got a Boheme OBB that's about the same output as my 149B

Since many people have been asking about the different tip sizes MB offer, I thought that writing sample scans of all the currently offered nibs was a good idea.

All these are modern size 6 MB nibs (ie 146 sized nibs), except for the O3B which is a modern size 9 MB nib (ie 149 sized nib). To keep a standard, all samples are writen on 2 pages of the same paper with the same ink.

As most know that MB nibs are hand ground, some variation within a designated size is expected.

The straight tipped nibs:

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/8228/mbnib01lrw.jpg

High resolution scan.

The oblique tipped nibs:

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/5403/mbnib02lr.jpg

High resolution scan.

Regarding the obliques, the OM seems to lay a thicker line in comparisson to the OB. However, on the page, the line is not thicker, but it is darker.

Great Stuff! Loved reading this post.

A merciful heart is the greatest of all possessions.