Charity Auction for Flood Relief in the Philippines

beetlebug

Let me add my own grateful appreciation for Tom who organized this auction and all those who participated in the auction. The total take of $345 may seem a piddling amount to many of us who are used to blowing a couple hundreds more for grail pens. However, allow me to put that amount in the proper context of charitable deeds. In the Philippines, $345 can buy enough food for 715 people for a day, or 4 families for a whole month. That money really goes a long way.

Chito

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• beetlebug

• Gerry

• musorah

• jpr

Top Posters In This Topic

Chito,

Thanks! You put this better than I ever could. Besides raising money I hope the auction raised some awareness for the tragic events caused by the typhoons that hit the Philippines. For personal reasons I picked these charities for the auction but certainly there are many, many worthy causes that people can contribute their money or effort to. Even if we each focus on only one deserving issue that's important to us we are helping create a cumulative effect that is bigger than any single person. I hope others might pick a charity to conduct an auction for. I'll certainly bid.

thanks for this, Tom. been so out of it, this is the first I heard of it!

Watermans Flex Club & Sheaffer Lifetime Society Member

Thanks, Tom!

A reminder that we can all find a way to donate even a little bit to disaster relief. If a thousand people each give a dollar, it's still a thousand dollars to a worthy cause.

Rick

Hi,

Everyone who won an item in this auction paid promptly and were incredibly gracious. I've shipped all the items out and a few people have received the pen wraps already and seem quite happy.

We're up to the good part now where I send the money to the charities. I used PayPal for both although it was a bit different in each case. The Philippine National Red Cross takes monetary transfers while The Philippine Animal Welfare Society has a PayPal donation setup. I only mention this to explain why the payment receipts look different for each.

The total money received from the items was $345. As I stated 3/4 of the money went to TPNRC and 1/4 to PAWS. (Yes, I came back and corrected an error that had this adding up to 13/12. Opps) One person paid for the priority mail shipping but told me to send the package first class and include the difference with the donations so you'll see an extra few dollars.

I'd like to once again thank everyone who took part in this. It was a great to see people caring for those who have struggled against such terrible circumstances.

Below are screen shots of the receipts for the donations. If for any reason someone wants more information on the donations I'd be happy to provide it although these are the records I got afterward.

Thanks again to everyone.

http://www.bleubug.com/wp-content/fpngallery/auction/rc2.jpg?306300473

http://www.bleubug.com/wp-content/fpngallery/auction/paws2.jpg?699476165

Edited by beetlebug

tom overfield has been known to us in the philippine pen community as a great friend, and here again we see why. thanks, tom, and to all who participated. like i often remind myself and others, pens and our love and use of them are just another way of expressing our humanity, which is the overarching thing. ;)

Check out my blog and my pens

Well, since Tom persuaded me to make this forum available to him and the members for Charitable use, I need to thank both Tom and the Pen community for making me so happy we did this. I had every confidence it would go well, and was pleased to see that it did - no fuss, no muss.

Congratulations all around, Tom - Members alike. Proud of you guys...

Warmest Regards,

Gerry

• 2 weeks later...