Welcome

Gerry

The FPN has agreed to allow - in fact welcome Charitable Auctions held on its site, provided a few conditions are met...

• That the standard disclaimer be attached to the auction - "While the FPN supports the cause, it does not have any active part in the conduct of the auction, and cannot be held responsible for any issues arising from people participating."
  • That the person auctioning the item provides identification to Admin so that we may contact them if there are complaints (name, address, tel #, email etc. This will not be made public, except in cases of suspected fraud),
  • That the auction is conducted off the FPN site - ie by email on on an independent site,
  • That the person holding the auction will donate *all* the revenue gained in the auction less only the costs of shipping the item to the winner.
  • That the person holding the auction report the results in the thread where the auction was announced, (a copy of the charitable donation receipt should be sent to Admin)
  • That the charity be one that is generally recognized and acceptable to the FPN (ie no controversial charities or non-registered ones), and finally,
  • That the person auctioning off the item describes the charity / provides a link to it's web site, or otherwise explains the role of the charity.

I hope that they appear to be reasonable to all, and state that they are intended solely to limit the fund raising to efforts that are truly charitable.

Warmest regards,

Gerry

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gerry

• WendyNC

• penspouse

• Siv

Top Posters In This Topic

The FPN has agreed to allow - in fact welcome Charitable Auctions held on its site, provided a few conditions are met...

That the auction is conducted off the FPN site - ie by email on on an independent site

Maybe because it's late and I'm tired, but I'm a little confused here about the mechanics.

Edited by WendyNC

I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.

No, it's probably that I'm tired, and haven't explained it well.

A Charitable auction can be posted on the FPN.

The charity needs to be recognized.

The poster needs to set up a fair process, based on an external site - or by email.

He needs to announce the winner, and provide some evidence that the money collected has been donated to a charity (ie the one advertised).

That pretty much covers it all.

Regards,

Gerry

The poster needs to set up a fair process, based on an external site - or by email.

Just to clarify - we absolutely cannot have people posting bids on the Topic/Thread here on FPN?

Is FPN a registered charity?

Edited by Siv

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2752/4371168844_35ba5fb338.jpg

Danitrio Fellow, Nakaya Nutter, Sailor Sailor (ret), Visconti Venerator, Montegrappa Molester (in training), ConwayStewart Champion & Diplomat #77

Just to clarify - we absolutely cannot have people posting bids on the Topic/Thread here on FPN?

Is FPN a registered charity?

No, the FPN isn't a registered charity.

Our preference not to hold the bidding on the site was to emphasize the fact that we are not a part of the auction itself. We have resisted allowing other types of auctions and didn't want to appear to be at odds with that policy either. Nor did we wish to become embroil;ed in complaints regarding late posts, rules violations etc.

We do, however require that the person holding the auction identify themselves, and to post the ultimate results - showing a receipt for the donation to the charity. This should assure bidders that the process is fair and above board.

We do want to support people undertaking this type of charitable work, and have given them a place to announce their project.

I guess we should also mention that we expect that the auctions carried here will be those run by our members, and that this forum isn't the place to advertise or promote other auctions - charitable or not.

Regards,

Gerry

Gerry

Would it be possible to have an on site auction with funds being paid by Paypal direct to FPN and for the benefit of FPN, on receipt of the Paypal confirmation goods can be released?

Edited by Arthur

Hi,

This idea is fantastic but frankly I don't see exactly how its going to work.

Seems to me FPN is either "in the car or out of the car --hanging onto the radio antenna while the car blasts down the road" seems awkward at best and fraught with peril at worst.

Sensitive Pen Restoration doesn't cost extra.

Find me on Facebook at MONOMOY VINTAGE PEN

I think I get it now. It's much like the charitable version of Market Watch, with the extra requirement of posting the results.

In the Charitable Auctions forum, I can announce my charity auction which I'm running on some other site or by email and I may invite FPN members to participate provided that I follow up by posting evidence of the donation to a recognized charity after the auction is concluded.

In my vernacular, its, "Hey, y'all, come help me out over here with this thing."

I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.

• 3 months later...

Hello to all,

This is exactly the forum I am looking for.

I represent the South Bay Ballet in Torrance, California. We recently held a silent auction to benefit our ballet company. Our local California Assemblyman donated a beautiful, never-used, Mont Blanc Meisterstruck Mozart Fountain Pen in HaWan Coral for the auction. The winning bid fell through after the auction.

We are looking to sell the pen. I looked into eBay but felt this may be a better venue. Obviously, we are looking to sell it for as much as possible. My husband and I are pen turners and appreciate a beautiful pen when we see it. We also know the difference between MSRP and auction prices.

I have read the above discussion and understand FPN concerns. May I post this pen here for sale? I will provide all the necessary information.

Sincerely,

jslehmer

South Bay Ballet