What Japanese pen for my birthday?

HenryLouis

Very good choice!

Ink is another difficult choice, if you are limited to only one! Once you start trying different inks, you are on the slippery slope towards inkoholism.

My current favorite for everyday writing is Noodler's Manhattan Blue, an Art Brown exclusive. That's what I have in my Custom 823 right now.

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value.--Thomas Paine, "The American Crisis", 1776

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HenryLouis

• Siv

• AltecGreen

• Doug C

So does anyone have writing samples of the F and M nibs?

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/Aurora%20Talentum/IMG_3779.jpg

i see and i agree. pilot nibs are good too, no?

Pilot nibs are great.

All of the Big Three and Nakaya and Dani make and have made great nibs. Much depends on how you define 'great' and what you desire in a pen. This is not meant to be an ambiguous response. If you want a pen for writing there are many models from the 1960s (and earlier, too) to present that will more than adequately fill your needs. As qualities such as nib size, 14K or 18K, size of pen, shape of pen, etc. are added the possibilities narrow considerably. If there is a major pen shop nearby or an upcoming show you might wait and try out whatever models are available.

I am primarily a collector who finds daily uses for some of my pens. Some have very specific purposes. My Dani semi-protoype is used only for signatures. It is a good size pen with an impressive nib with lots of flex. My Nakaya Piccolo (I'm cheap!) is only used for notes before and after prayers. Each day I bring a Pilot Custom with customized BROAD nib, Pilot 74 with MUSIC nib, Montegrappa sterling silver something or other, and a custom made ebonite pen by Sergio Kullock from Brazil. There is also a modern Waterman that finds regular use. All depends on mood, specific need, color of ink desired, and whether the pen is empty or full. I am experimenting with a 1920s Waterman clone with custom makie work done by an artist acquaintance. It is fitted with a early steel Platinum MUSIC nib. So far, it borders on incredible.

All good and valid points Stan. My perspective is always from the standpoint of owning a single pen (as opposed to having pens for specific purposes).

I just sent my Piccolo off for either a new nib or modification. I also have a Decapod that I like but is not my favorite writer. I'll qualify this since I know I am in the minority being a left handed underwriter, but the fine on the Piccolo was more scratchy than any other fine Japanese pen I own. Both pens suffer from from a resistance to being 'pushed', which is what I do most of the time. They are much more rough or toothy when the nib is moving forward than they are when moving in any other direction. This tells me that since I purchased one from the factory, and the other from Mottishaw, this is a tendancy of these nibs. When I get my Piccolo back from John, I'll be the first to apologise if it is an anomoly.

Edited by Doug C

the Danitrio Fellowship

Hmn... looking around on engeika and I'm being tempted by the custom 742 and a couple of sailors. I'll have to wait a bit.

Also I'm still looking at that bamboo. Can anyone tell me how it feels? Like, to make sure I was okay with a VP I held a ballpoint with the clip down and I saw it didn't pose a problem. Is there a trick with this pen too?

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/Aurora%20Talentum/IMG_3779.jpg

Does anyone here own the bamboo?

The main reason I'm going towards it is because it looks very nice closed, and has an easily replaceable filling system.

So what do people think of the Bamboo? I'm looking to get it because I can easily replace the filling system.

So should I get the blue or the black?!?!?!?

Also how is the section step? I need to know an answer before I buy it!!! Is it that deep? Pinarellonly's pics make it seem kind of small.

http://fototime.com/%7B209C41DE-843D-4B50-971F-5594C8351F78%7D/picture.JPG

Happy Birthday Henry Louis!!! I hope you get lots of cake and presents.

I would also go for the Bamboo - it has such an exquisite shape and design. Maybe the blue one...

I think you find all dimensions you need at www.nibs.com - John Mottishaws store.

*****the dandelion blog is right here*****

*****the dandelion flickr is right here*****

Thanks, Dandelion! I'm still deciding :\ . Maybe if one of the Bamboo owners would speak out I would be comfortable buying the pen.

I might just get the 823...

And now I'm looking at the Sailor Professional gear, and drooling at the same time...

Why? Why must there be so many nice pens?!?!?!?!?

Henry, the step on the Namiki Bamboo is nearly identical to the step on the Dunhill AD2000. It is large, but I do not find it uncomfortable. I actually hold both pen models right on the step and it is a comfortable grip that allows the pen to be well balanced for writing. The pen writes like a champ and the ink flow allows me to hold the pen(s) ever so lightly, meaning the step remains comfortable. My hands are medium sized for a man. I should think that with medum to large hands, a similar grip would be possible. For anyone who holds a pen in a death grip, I imagine the step would become a burden. Obviously, reactions will differ. The only advice I can give would be to try the pen, making sure you get it from a seller who has a good return policy.

I hope this little bit of info helps.

Only the Black and Rhodium bamboo are sold in the US and come with silver clip. The rhodium is a little hard to get but not impossible. Swisher has some Rhodium in the attic but it's over 2x the price of the black.

http://www.swisherpens.com/attic/images/namiki_60356.jpg

A black/blue/maroon bamboo is available in other markets but they come with rose gold clips (which I thing look horrible).

http://www.pentrace.net/ms_images/Dscn0125.jpg

If you hold the pen conventionally then you won't have any problem with the step. If you hold the pen further back than normal, the step may interfere with your grip.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2752/4371168844_35ba5fb338.jpg

Danitrio Fellow, Nakaya Nutter, Sailor Sailor (ret), Visconti Venerator, Montegrappa Molester (in training), ConwayStewart Champion & Diplomat #77

Hi Frank,

I recently have heard about the woes of the 823's filling system (some sentiment about lubricating the insides).

So I see that both the Pilot Custom 742 and the Pilot Bamboo are in the same price range (with the 742 being the more expensive). I think the race is between those right now. Though I am leaning towards the Bamboo.

Thanks Siv. I hold my pens regularly (my first fountain pen was a Safari, which forced me to grip it properly. I don't regret it)...

So what nib size should I get? M, or F? My VP (which is the American version) has an M nib which is quite thick; for a Japanese pen (my 78G's M is much finer). So are the American versions thicker than the others? I'm buying from Winningpen, a power seller on ebay. They ship really fast.

Blue or Black?

http://www.notascreen.com/ebay/pen/pilot/bamboonew/blue_1.jpg

http://www.notascreen.com/ebay/pen/pilot/bamboo/black_1.jpg

Edited by HenryLouis

I thought she did with a surcharge? Or maybe that was just credit cards?

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

I got rid of my Bamboo because of the step--I hold my pens very far back--it has made me not buy ANY pens with any kind of step!!! That means all those beautiful Nakayas are no good for me--had to wait till Edison pens made the Huron {mine ships tomorrow--yeah} So while the Bamboo was a fantastic pen--love the look --the nib was incredible--I still could not use it--try the pen at a shop before you buy.

www.stevelightart.com

I would like to note the only Pilot/Namiki pens there are here are the Vanishing Point and the Falcon. I think the Canadian Distributor is quite limited into what it brings; I guess the market isn't as large here. So I can't try it.

By the way, how long is the grip section? is it a comfortable size? I don't like holding my pens right up near the nib, it makes the angle really high.

Hi Frank,

I recently have heard about the woes of the 823's filling system (some sentiment about lubricating the insides).

Huh? What woes? I've had no problems. So far I haven't had to lubricate the piston, and if I ever did, a little silicone grease would be enough.

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value.--Thomas Paine, "The American Crisis", 1776

I think she accepts personal checks. In fact, I believe she sends out the item before seeing and cashing the check.

I thought she did with a surcharge? Or maybe that was just credit cards?

.....In fact, I believe she sends out the item before seeing and cashing the check.

Yes, that's what happened when I bought my Sailor from her; highly recommended..