What Japanese pen for my birthday?

HenryLouis

Hello,

My birthday is in 41 hours. I've decided waiting until Christmas for my Edison is a good idea as then I may have enough money to splurge on the gold nib.

What do you recommend? I'm looking at a price range of $200-$250.

The first thing that comes to mind is the Pilot Custom 823 in black. Worried about the lifetime of it's filler system.

So the other pen that comes to mind is a Pilot custom 742 or 743 outfitted with SF nibs.

Another pen that comes to mind is a Namiki Bamboo in black (it's quite streamlined but I'm worried about section step issues [i feel uncomfortable with the section step on the Edison Herald so I don't know if this would be any good])

Sailor Professional Gear? 1911?

Which has the largest nib? How large is the Pilot 15 nib compared to the 10? I've handled the 5 and it's far to small. I have yet to see a good comparison of the 3 nibs. Pinarellonly had a good picture but it was slanted so I can't really draw conclusions from it...

I'm concerned about line widths. I have a medium American VP which writes quite thickly. Can I expect the Medium 823 or 742/743 to be a bit finer?

Does anyone have a comparison of these pens? Any thoughts on quality?

Or just forget about all the pens mentioned, wait until christmas and buy a Nakaya portable writer in the red/black urushi?

Thanks.

Henry

Edited by HenryLouis
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/Aurora%20Talentum/IMG_3779.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HenryLouis

• Siv

• AltecGreen

• Doug C

I'd say the Nakaya is worth the extra month and a half-ish wait. =)

Yuki

http://i54.tinypic.com/16jj9fb.jpg

Follow me on twitter! @crypticjunky

~And the words, they're everything and nothing. I want to search for her in the offhand remarks.~

I'd wait for the Nakaya or get a Platinum or Nakaya celluloid in the meantime.j

Some of the less expensive Sailors have become like Chiclets in my collection....

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

I would check with Stan (the moderator) and see what he has left from his current sale.

The three Pilot E pens he was selling would be a great choice. You could choose the one with the posting or script nib. They are also a lot less than your allowed budget ($40-$70). This would allow you to get the Nakaya at Christmas.

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

I would get a Sailor pro gear--they are amazing for the price. very smooth.

Then get an Edison bulb filler--this a custom pen that will last forever and is one of a kind. The bulbfiller is no real moving parts and you can attach another rubber bulb if you ever need to. Brian's IPG nibs are great if you do not mind a stiffer nib--for writing i like steel nibs.

Nakayas are beautiful but I feel a little TOO nice for everyday--especially if you are bringing it to school.

Where do you hold the pen?--on the section? then the Bamboo will probably not be a problem and is a great pen. I hold my pens waaaaay back so the step in the section was problematic--had to get rid of the old bamboo!!

I do not have a 742 or 743--looking at them also--the 743 has the bigger nib.

www.stevelightart.com

I am a big fan of the Namiki Bamboo, but I think you are right to be somewhat concerned about the stepped section. It does not bother me at all, but that is just me.

By the way, my brother's birthday was November 3rd; mine is the 10th. So Happy Birthday from two other November babies.

I would get a Sailor pro gear--they are amazing for the price. very smooth.

Then get an Edison bulb filler--this a custom pen that will last forever and is one of a kind. The bulbfiller is no real moving parts and you can attach another rubber bulb if you ever need to. Brian's IPG nibs are great if you do not mind a stiffer nib--for writing i like steel nibs.

Nakayas are beautiful but I feel a little TOO nice for everyday--especially if you are bringing it to school.

Where do you hold the pen?--on the section? then the Bamboo will probably not be a problem and is a great pen. I hold my pens waaaaay back so the step in the section was problematic--had to get rid of the old bamboo!!

I do not have a 742 or 743--looking at them also--the 743 has the bigger nib.

I agree. The nakaya does seem a bit... too expensive for school.

The Pilot E's look nice. I might pick one up. But I don't really want to squander my birthday money on a lot of decent pens. I haven't really gotten one pen with black 'n' gold trim and a large nib. It's all been hooded/semi hooded with the exceptions of a few cheapies. But really, I'm looking for something with a large nib that says "Hey! I'm a fountain pen user!"

I'd like to note, when I don't have my pens with me they're sitting in my eyeglass case so bumping around in there might not be the best thing that could happen.

Also this pen will be used for my english exam. So yeah.I want it to have decent capacity.

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/Aurora%20Talentum/IMG_3779.jpg

I would check with Stan (the moderator) and see what he has left from his current sale.

The three Pilot E pens he was selling would be a great choice. You could choose the one with the posting or script nib. They are also a lot less than your allowed budget ($40-$70). This would allow you to get the Nakaya at Christmas.

I hate offering suggestions in response to these types of questions. A lot depends on where you are as a user and/or collector. I'll recommend a few users without any consideration of your experience with Japanese pens. They are not in any order. Somehow I think you are looking for that big flashy nib and I cannot make a recommendation based on that, only writing experience.

User, with focus on modern and new.

Pilot Myu. Old or New. Check it out. Very popular.

Platinum 3776 Celluloid with Music nib if you know how to use one. Celluloid is cooler than any black plastic known in the universe.

Pilot. Any of the new big ones if they are in your budget. Maybe you cans till find a Namiki Impressions somewhere.

Sailor. Any of the new big ones if they are in your budget. I like the clear plastic Profit the most. It is a fun statement.

If new to Japanese pens you might make an inexpensive investment in a 1970s Pilot. It is a good opportunity to try out something different. No recommedndation as there are plenty around.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club

I'll look and see what I will get for my birthday, and if I have enough left I'll pick up a vintage pilot.

What do you think of the Pilot E series in general? I like the ones on Stan's site.

Edited by HenryLouis

Unless you are concerned with having a flex nib, the Sailor nibs are miles ahead of Nakaya.

the Danitrio Fellowship

i see and i agree. pilot nibs are good too, no?

Okay. To solve the issue of wanting a large nib, I am thinking of ordering a Sheaffer flat-top lifetime restored.

I'll have $150 left. Should I get an M90? What's the cheapest place to buy one?

But I have just seen more pictures of the Pilot custom 823, and I really want that too...

So many pens... too little money :(

Edited by HenryLouis

i see and i agree. pilot nibs are good too, no?

Pilot nibs are great.

All of the Big Three and Nakaya and Dani make and have made great nibs. Much depends on how you define 'great' and what you desire in a pen. This is not meant to be an ambiguous response. If you want a pen for writing there are many models from the 1960s (and earlier, too) to present that will more than adequately fill your needs. As qualities such as nib size, 14K or 18K, size of pen, shape of pen, etc. are added the possibilities narrow considerably. If there is a major pen shop nearby or an upcoming show you might wait and try out whatever models are available.

I am primarily a collector who finds daily uses for some of my pens. Some have very specific purposes. My Dani semi-protoype is used only for signatures. It is a good size pen with an impressive nib with lots of flex. My Nakaya Piccolo (I'm cheap!) is only used for notes before and after prayers. Each day I bring a Pilot Custom with customized BROAD nib, Pilot 74 with MUSIC nib, Montegrappa sterling silver something or other, and a custom made ebonite pen by Sergio Kullock from Brazil. There is also a modern Waterman that finds regular use. All depends on mood, specific need, color of ink desired, and whether the pen is empty or full. I am experimenting with a 1920s Waterman clone with custom makie work done by an artist acquaintance. It is fitted with a early steel Platinum MUSIC nib. So far, it borders on incredible.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club

I'm still having a hard time deciding...

At least yours is a good dilemma! Many good choices here, but a random thought or two. I recently got the Blue bamboo, and while the gold clip on it is a bit funky looking, the pen is a delight to write with. Is there a way you can try out the pen to see how you feel about the 'step' problem around the section? It doesn't bother me (I have small hands)even as my fingertips are close to the nib and my first thumb digit hits the step. The nib is so cool--esp the matte silver that frames the polished middle. :happyberet:

The 823 feels special in the hand, too--something about all that ink adding 'liquid' heft to the pen. I like the two Nakayas I have (a heki tamenuri piccolo and another in matte black), but for some reason, i tend to let them sit.

Happy hunting and happy birthday,

chibimie

I think the section step will be a problem. I have moderate to large sized hands....

Argh, I always have trouble with lever fillers anyway, so I'm just going to get the Pilot custom 823.

I think the section step will be a problem. I have moderate to large sized hands....

Argh, I always have trouble with lever fillers anyway, so I'm just going to get the Pilot custom 823.

You're not getting off this easy Henry. Now which color of the 823 are you going to choose?

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

black! The clear demonstrator looks cold to me, and the amber.. looks too clear. I like the black. I've really been eyeing this since I read Tsujigiri's review. I was surprised at the price then ), still am I guess.

Hmn. Now what nib size?

Also, what ink should I use in it? I'll be buying the set with the Pilot black ink, off of the ebay seller winningpen (I've dealt with them before and they're fast... like... 4 days fast.

http://www.notascreen.com/ebay/pen/pilot/823/blackm_4.jpg